• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Distributers ink

19 posts in this topic

How does distributers ink on the top of a comic affect grade. I have about 12 books with that on it. all were purhcased with it disclosed but I don't have a problem with that. One of the books for example is Hulk 181 looks like a 8.0 in my estimation (i purchased as VF with distributers ink on top), if sent to CGC would it come back with a lower grade because of this or an apparent grade possibley. The ink on all but one book does not bleed onto the comic. One book it is very slight .

I did a search for distributers ink but couldnt find any threads so I appologize it there is a thread and if directed will go to that thread to read it.

Thank you

Good question. I have bought many comics on Ebay from the dealer Calm-mix who sells alot of these "inked up" books. I have also sent many of them in to CGC. They are graded as regular blue label books and not qualified. However, they do take off points for the distributor ink stains and depending on how bad the stains are, they will downgrade by an appropriate amount.

For example, tomorrow (Monday) evening I am selling one of these books on Ebay with ink stains that was purchased from Calm-mix. As I stated in the ad description the book looks like a solid 9.0 to me. But since there are some pretty bad ink stains on the front and back, they gave it a 7.0. Link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2249958105&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

boo.gif -------Sid

I think that GS X-Men #1 is an extreme example of distrubutors spray....I had a copy of Nick Fury #1 was was somewhere in that range. I recently bought the book below, and was suprised to find out for the first time that many of the Curator pedigree books have spray on them.

The top edge of the Avengers 25 has a nice blue spray across the top, yet still garnered a 9.4. I can't really theorize if (or how much) it would have graded higher without the spray. My impression has been that CGC may take some fraction of a point off, but not a major slamdown.

curatorspray.jpg

yeah, I guess I was so used to those calm-mix books that I forgot the thin line of spray on the top edge only is fairly common. From my memory if the only ink is along the top edge, such as in the Avengers shown above, I don't think CGC marks down the grade at all because of that. I think that minor defect may be treated in the same way as a minor printing defect. ----Sid

My impression has been that CGC may take some fraction of a point off, but not a major slamdown.

I agree with red. Not a major markdown, but don't expect super high grades with this condition (assuming rest of book is devoid of additional defects). I have a few 9.4 with distributor ink condition in my collection.

Mine are all more like the Avengers book so I guess it might be worth it to send to CGC

I purchased all mine over 8-9 years ago for cheap ( Hulk 181 VF with dist ink for $50)

I figured it wasnt a big defect as long as it dosent go over onto the comic itself.

Thanks for all your help.

Distributor's ink is not a production defect, and is deducted as any other defect would be. The question you should always ask yourself is: If you have two identical books side-by-side, with one having this defect, and the other doesn't, which one would you choose? If you choose the one without the defect, then it is in fact, a defect. Simple.

The extent of deduction depends upon the extent of the ink, and its distraction from the visual qualities of the book. Generally, it is considered a small unobtrusive defect. But remember, grades at the high end are determined by a small accumulation of very minor defects.

Distributor Ink is like a Date Stamp.

As long is it is not obtrusive (i.e. huge amounts of ink dripping over the cover), I don't think CGC would downgrade at all. Maybe in the ultra high-grades 9.8 and above, there might be some downgrading but I'm not even sure then.

Here's a logical reason.

Remember, CGC grades on Structural Defects, not EYE APPEAL.

Would distributor ink show up more on

Marvel Spotlight #5 (black cover) or

Giant Size X-Men #1 (white cover)

Obviously, GS X-Men #1 therefore it clearly would reduce the EYE APPEAL. But as CGC doesn't grade on Eye Appeal, it would be UNFAIR to downgrade the GS X-Men #1 more for distributor ink than the Marvel Spotlight (which might be hardly noticable).

I've had Silver-Age 9.6's with White Covers have a slight amount of distibutor ink showing and I don't believe the book would have graded any higher without the ink. makepoint.gif

Here's a glance at that Nick Fury I spoke about.....before I became educated on the boards, I wasn't sure what it was. I thought some kid had gone at it with some watercolor or marker.

nf1both.jpg

In this case, the book wasn't a super highender. I sold it on ebay for twenty or thirty bucks I think.

Distributor Ink is like a Date Stamp.

Good analogy. smile.gif

As long is it is not obtrusive (i.e. huge amounts of ink dripping over the cover), I don't think CGC would downgrade at all. Maybe in the ultra high-grades 9.8 and above, there might be some downgrading but I'm not even sure then.

The vast majority of ink cases are not like the Avengers book above, if they were, we wouldn't be talking about it at all.

Here's a logical reason.

Obviously, GS X-Men #1 therefore it clearly would reduce the EYE APPEAL. But as CGC doesn't grade on Eye Appeal, it would be UNFAIR to downgrade the GS X-Men #1 more for distributor ink than the Marvel Spotlight (which might be hardly noticable).

Au contraire mon ami, I respectfully disagree, and find the above conclusion illogical, at best.

I've had Silver-Age 9.6's with White Covers have a slight amount of distibutor ink showing and I don't believe the book would have graded any higher without the ink. makepoint.gif

I don't think we disagree very much here - let's see a scan of one of these SA 9.6's.

cheers, laugh.gif

What do you mean you don't believe in 9.4's with date stamps....that they shouldn't be allowed? Or that they don't exist? Just askin' for clarification. confused-smiley-013.gif

What do you mean you don't believe in 9.4's with date stamps....that they shouldn't be allowed? Or that they don't exist? Just askin' for clarification. confused-smiley-013.gif

The former, I know they exist - Heritage has them for sale all the time (funny how ours always come out 9.2 smirk.gif) hi.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a logical reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Au contraire mon ami, I respectfully disagree, and find the above conclusion illogical, at best.

Not sure why you say this is illogical.

It's the same reason that I believe CGC doesn't downgrade for YELLOWING on a book. Yellowing is NOT a Manufacturing or Distribution defect. I myself avoid yellowing on the cover (as I know many others do).

Yet, I have seen tons of 9.4 or higher with various amounts of yellowing. The only logical explanation for NOT downgrading a book would be that the AFFECT of YELLOWING is much more noticable on a WHITE COVER book than a DARK COVER book. Therefore, if two books had exactly the same STRUCTURAL DEFECTS, but one was a white covered book with some yellowing and one was a dark cover book with the same amount of yellowing (yet it would be hardly, if at all noticable), CGC would grade both books the same. Would it be fair to reduce the grade for yellowing only on the white covered book? No. But from an Eye Appeal standard, I would reduce the value of the white covered book.