• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3PG GRADING

27 posts in this topic

I was reading a past thread about third party grading and i was wondering if the company MajorKhaos was thinking of was 3PG. i've seen some of their graded comics floating around ebay and, out of curiosity, visited the website -- http://3pgrading.com/. what i was most concerned with was their sealing methods...

Each comic is sealed in a Melinex ® 516 protector. That protector is placed between plexi-glass and sealed with a border on all four sides. There are several security features for each book. If the outer protector is opened or broken in any manner this voids our 3PG certification. Our security hologram can not be removed, it pulls apart if removed. Each comic also contains a serial number kept in our archives, and finally a scan of each comic is also kept on file at 3PG.

how does this compare with CGC's holders?

here's a link from ebay -- AVENGERS #200 3PG GRADED F+/VF- 74, though these guys don't provide a large enough picture for any buyer to be able to inspect the comics.

No, the thread you linked to is discussing a rumored grading company that, if memory serves, PSA--the sports card grading company--was supposed to be starting. At the time, the rumor was that Rob Hughes, owner of the company ArchAngels and the former handler of comics for Greg Manning and current one for Jay Parrino, was asked to be the head grader. The rumor now is that Rob won't be the head grader and that nobody knows whether the company is coming anytime soon or not.

I haven't heard any detailed comparisons for how 3PG's holder compare to CGC's but I'm extremely curious just like you.

still, i'd be curious as to whether anyone else has heard any rumors about 3pg

Maybe...what kind of rumors?

I absolutely love their back label and the way it documents defects on books which grade at 9.0 or better. What I PARTICULARLY love about it is how they disclose the location of defects by splitting the cover up into regions. They're not the first ones to point out how important defect location is in determining its severity, but they're definitely innovative in doing it because I haven't see CGC, Overstreet, or almost any dealers use that kind of a system in any widespread way.

No, the thread you linked to is discussing a rumored grading company that, if memory serves, PSA--the sports card grading company--was supposed to be starting. At the time, the rumor was that Rob Hughes, owner of the company ArchAngels and the former handler of comics for Greg Manning and current one for Jay Parrino, was asked to be the head grader. The rumor now is that Rob won't be the head grader and that nobody knows whether the company is coming anytime soon or not.

I haven't heard any detailed comparisons for how 3PG's holder compare to CGC's but I'm extremely curious just like you.

The thing that most struck me about the 3PG holders is that they're slightly flexible. Not flexible enough to damage a book I would think (unless you REALLY, REALLY tried) but definitely flexible enough to be more certain of surviving a shoddy packing job than the brittle CGC cases. The grading notes on the back are nice. The one book of theirs I own, a Daredevil v2 #7 in 98, is accurately graded.

You should buy one of the books just to check it out. You can usually pick one up (as long as you aren't too choosy about the book ) for $9.99 + s/h. Worth it just for the novelty.

You should buy one of the books just to check it out. You can usually pick one up (as long as you aren't too choosy about the book ) for $9.99 + s/h. Worth it just for the novelty.

Yea, I want to, but I'm waiting to get it wrapped around a book I'd halfway want to own! The selection is so low right now that I haven't found one yet.

Just did an ebay search and didn't find [!@#%^&^] I wanted in a 3PG holder.

I think I'll just submit some of my own...that's better anyway because I can test my own grading against theirs. I'll try to pick out some books, post my grades around here somewhere along with a complete list of defects I find, and we'll see what 3PG does with 'em.

Each comic also contains a serial number kept in our archives, and finally a scan of each comic is also kept on file at 3PG.

Hold it..!! Stop the presses!! Was I asleep at the wheel at some point? What's this about each comic containing a serial number..?? Define "contains," please! Or is the location (and maybe even the form) of the serial number a trade secret?

(Or is it total baloney intended to throw the competition off?)

This, to me, is fascinating stuff, because

- some people might not be thrilled with *anything* being added to the book itself

- having such a code in the book itself could prevent some issues related to re-submissions:

...inaccurate census data (duplicates of resubbed books not disclosed as resubs)

...pressing, cleaning and other types of resto that might slide by if the book in question can't be confirmed to be one previously viewed by said grading co.

It would obviously also enable the identification of any given book, for the purposes of establishing ownership...

Not a traitor, but they do have graders notes on the reverse of the label, KUDOS to them for that

BIG kudos. I wish CGC would take this page from their book.

I also wish 3PG would grade more than just moderns; if they did, I'd use them. I have trouble coming up with slab-worthy comics to send them from 1975 or later only.