• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Letters to the Editor

67 posts in this topic

I've often wondered if I have wasted a lot of time and money over the years collecting comic books. Do real people actually consider them important? I've wondered why I am still pursuing what was essentially a childhood pastime, only now many years later those 'silver age' books are expensive.

I sometimes think I may be weird. After all the first thing I do when I get a back issue I've been chasing, is smell it.

Yes, I love the smell of comic books in the morning.

I catalog my books in such an OCD fashion, its too embarrassing to repeat here.Finally they go in a queue, to be read, then when read, they get stacked away with all the others in a cupboard.

One of the fascinating things for me about them is they are in effect historical documents. There are many references within their pages to world events of the time. A great window on the past is the letters to the Editors. Many of these are of course nonsense, but some are truly wonderful for lots of reasons. There are letters which comment on events of the time, there are those from people I've come to know in later life, there are letters from people who have gone on to be celebrities within the comic industry and beyond.

And there are those that are simply awesome indictments of what it means to be a human being in this world.

I have a huge interest in these letters and would like to share some with you. It would be great if people could maybe also show some letters here that appeal to them. This first couple of letters return to my point about whether comic books are important to people.

They obviously are. These two letters are powerful and poignant.

I have reprinted them here, as is with no alterations.

The first letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 50. Cover date of July 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th April 1967.

LETTER # 1.

Dear Stan and John,

I thought I had left comic books somewhere in my past, but once again, I find myself reading them. It would surprise (shock!) many people back in the states to learn that so many service men read them. Especially, the Marvel Comics Group which is sold in every P.X. I've been in over here. And it always makes us mad to miss an issue!

We don't have much time for reading here in Viet Nam although we usually are able to squeeze in enough time to read your Marvels. Spider-Man is by far, my favorite, although all of your super-heroes are really something. We sure could use them over here, but I guess we'll just have to rely on our own "talents". It may be a coincidence, but we think of ourselves as "junior super-heroes".

If you get a chance, send one over here to give us a hand! But, to be serious for a second, thanks a lot for providing a lot of us with some good action packed reading material. We really enjoy your series. They, like letters from home, help take our minds out of Viet Nam for a while.

Cpl. Leonard R. St.Clair, 2164081 USMC, "I" Co.

3rd Bn., 1st Mar.Div

FPO, San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

In that case, Len, even if they serve no other purpose, we'll still keep turning 'em out to the best of our agonizin' ability! Unfortunately , we can't actually send any of our costumed characters to the field of battle, but we can always do the next best thing-so watch for the first ish of the complimentary subscription which we're winging your way, with our sincerest best wishes to you and your battle-honed buddies. May you all successfully and safely complete your tour of duty, and soon be able to latch onto your favorite mags merely by walking to the corner newsstand.

The second letter comes from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 53. Cover date of October 1967, actual On-sale date was 11th July 1967.

LETTER # 2.

(Message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box above the letter)

NOTE; We recently received a letter which affected us all very deeply. We are printing it, in its entirety, with no comment-save one-

Dear Stan,

Since all of us in the headquarters section of India Company are Spider-Man fans, we regret to inform you that Corporal St.Clair, whose letter will be printed in SPIDER-MAN #50, was killed in action on 28 February, 1967. He was a squad leader in our 3rd Platoon when his patrol was ambushed southwest of Da Nang. Your comic SPIDER-MAN is the most sought after piece of literature and art work in this company. Keep up the good work; you're a real morale booster.

India Company 3/1 3rd B., 1st Mar.

1st Marine Div. (REIN) FMF, FPO

San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

God rest you, soldier.

And God bless you all

(Another message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box below the letter)

As a mark of respect to Corporal St.Clair, and all others who have given the last measure of devotion for their country, we are omitting our usual "coming attractions" paragraph this issue. We prefer, instead, to express the fervent hope that the day will come when men in every land will walk together in peace and brotherhood.

:sorry:

I too am also drawn to the letters in particular to the Silver Age. When I was younger I wrote an number of time to Marvel when they actually sent back the blue cards or No prizes (I have3). Also I think it is one of the strengths of the Omnibus series to reprint the lettlers pages.

I remember that one in #50 I read it just a while ago and the one in #53 when reading the new Spider-man Romita Omnibus.

Thanks for sharing and I'll try to find one that really impacted me

Dear Stan,

Since all of us in the headquarters section of India Company are Spider-Man fans, we regret to inform you that Corporal St.Clair, whose letter will be printed in SPIDER-MAN #50, was killed in action on 28 February, 1967. He was a squad leader in our 3rd Platoon when his patrol was ambushed southwest of Da Nang. Your comic SPIDER-MAN is the most sought after piece of literature and art work in this company. Keep up the good work; you're a real morale booster.

India Company 3/1 3rd B., 1st Mar.

1st Marine Div. (REIN) FMF, FPO

San Francisco, Cal 96602

Editor's reply (StanLee)

God rest you, soldier.

And God bless you all

(Another message from Editor, Stan Lee appeared in a box below the letter)

As a mark of respect to Corporal St.Clair, and all others who have given the last measure of devotion for their country, we are omitting our usual "coming attractions" paragraph this issue. We prefer, instead, to express the fervent hope that the day will come when men in every land will walk together in peace and brotherhood.

:sorry:

damn allergies... it got dusty up in here real fast...

Thanks to you select few guys/gal for the replies, and the welcome.

This next letter comes from LOIS LANE # 56. Cover date of April 1965, actual On-sale date was 11th February 1965.

It is from Marvel Bullpen legend Roy Thomas, before he worked for Marvel. He was 24 years old when he wrote this letter.

Dear Editor:

Although I am not a heavy reader of Superman's magazines, I bought one the other day.

It was LOIS LANE No.54, which featured an excellent cover and story illustrated by Kurt Schaffenberger, called "The Monster who loved Lois Lane".The depiction of Herko is about the best I have ever seen in any comic, and I hope to see much more of Herko. The ability of Schaffenberger to bring out so much pathos with such simple uncluttered drawings amazed me. The final drawing of Herko, in which he has torn up a plant to offer Lois a bouquet, only to find her gone, is the only one I recall in 20 years of comic reading that has aroused such a feeling of sympathy for any comic character, monster or human!

Thanks for a tale that strikes me as ranking among the very best comic stories ever published.

Roy Thomas, St.Louis, Mo.

(Editor's response)

And thanks for the rave notice from Roy Thomas, the new publisher of ALTER-EGO, comicdom's first fanzine. To Roy and many others who have asked for him, we promise that Herko, the lovable monster, will be back in the May issue-Ed.

I love the hint in the first sentence that Roy Thomas was Marvel bound. It also seems that readership is as lost a ritual as walking when you read these letters. It makes me feel I don't appreciate comics anywhere close to the way they were appreciated by the previous generation.

I love the hint in the first sentence that Roy Thomas was Marvel bound. It also seems that readership is as lost a ritual as walking when you read these letters. It makes me feel I don't appreciate comics anywhere close to the way they were appreciated by the previous generation.
At some point, was there a shift from printing letters that showed what other readers thought toward letters that allowed the letter-column writer a chance either to be clever or to promote another comic? The older ones definitely seem more genuine. I don't bother reading letters pages anymore.

I think that is a great point. In those days comic books were sort of the living, breathing fabric of society, something to be enjoyed rather than speculated as a commodity. They were considered important by society across the board. Kids, parents, teenagers, soldiers..ranked in importance up there with TV and movies perhaps.

The legacy of those days is that we now have a multi-billion dollar spinoff industry with all the comic book movies about. Not to mention the back issue comics themselves, some of which change hands for fortunes. But you are right. We have lost touch with the comic book itself as something to be enjoyed for what it actually is. The modern comic books are sophisticated and slick, but I prefer the naivety and innocence of the silver age. But then I guess thats the same for all forms of nostalgia. Things seemed better then, but were they really?

I don't know. Old comic books seem to remind me of happier, less troublesome times, whether those times really existed is perhaps all in the rose tinted visions of the mind. hm

Welcome to the boards and kudos on this thread. :applause:

Many thanks. I'm glad people are getting something out of it. Its enjoyable to do, although a little laborious, because I have to type each letter out word for word, and have to get it exact. I don't own a scanner, and my camera is garbage.

I have just learned (I think) how to upload pics to the forum, so hopefully I can round the posts out a bit with some informative pictures when needed. :D

The Next two letters come from the same book;

1962ADV303-55.jpg

ADVENTURE COMICS # 303. Cover date of December 1962, actual On-sale date was 30th October 1962.

LETTER # 1.

from noted comic book fan, DJ, Broadcaster, journalist,author, rock historian etc, The Great Gambo himself. Paul was aged 13 when he wrote this particular letter, which refers to the issue pictured below, ADVENTURE # 300.

1962ADV300-44.jpg

Dear Editor:

Hurray for "Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes!" This promises to be a great series, if the first story is any indication. Even though I guessed the identity of "Urthlo", the story still had many thrills and plenty of suspense. As for the rest of the magazine, "The Super-Planet of Clark Kent and Lana Lang" was another super-power story loaded with gimmicks, but was still very good. The cover, which looked like one of your GIANT ANNUALS, was a brilliant stroke of genius. Who drew it?

Paul Gambaccini, Westport, Conn.

(The reply)

Reader Gambaccini, a veteran follower of the Superman "family" of magazines, is one of our severest critics, so praise from him for the new Legion series is praise indeed! Artist Curtis Swan illustrated that cover introducing the new Legion feature.

Incidentally, Mr.Swan has just drawn a great cover for the 6TH GIANT SUPERMAN ANNUAL, which will be on sale shortly before Xmas, 1962. This latest ANNUAL is devoted to the mightiest super-heroes of all time and includes, of course, the very first story of the Legion of Super-Heroes, which tells how they formed their great club.-Ed.

LETTER # 2.

refers to

marilyn-monroe_0.jpg

Dear Editor:

As I write this , Marilyn Monroe, the beautiful Hollywood actress, has just died. How will her death affect your possible reprinting of the Bizarro story, "The Halloween Pranks of the Bizarro-Supermen", in a future ANNUAL? In this story, a Lois Lane Bizarro wore a Marilyn Monroe mask throughout the tale, and also on the cover.

Eve Remsen, Henry, Ohio.

(The reply)

We think it would be bad taste to discuss this subject now, at a time when the whole world is deeply shocked by the lovely star's demise.-Ed.

Edited by Bluetooth

I think that is a great point. In those days comic books were sort of the living, breathing fabric of society, something to be enjoyed rather than speculated as a commodity. They were considered important by society across the board. Kids, parents, teenagers, soldiers..ranked in importance up there with TV and movies perhaps.

The legacy of those days is that we now have a multi-billion dollar spinoff industry with all the comic book movies about. Not to mention the back issue comics themselves, some of which change hands for fortunes. But you are right. We have lost touch with the comic book itself as something to be enjoyed for what it actually is. The modern comic books are sophisticated and slick, but I prefer the naivety and innocence of the silver age. But then I guess thats the same for all forms of nostalgia. Things seemed better then, but were they really?

I don't know. Old comic books seem to remind me of happier, less troublesome times, whether those times really existed is perhaps all in the rose tinted visions of the mind. hm

I still feel that way.

I have dozens and dozens of longboxes in my spare room and I've never sold a comic in my life. Traded a few with friends when I was a kid, but never sold a book.

Hypocrite that I am, that may change in the next couple years as I'm gettin' older and have lots of multiples I don't need. I'd rather have the space.

I still feel that way.

I have dozens and dozens of longboxes in my spare room and I've never sold a comic in my life. Traded a few with friends when I was a kid, but never sold a book.

Hypocrite that I am, that may change in the next couple years as I'm gettin' older and have lots of multiples I don't need. I'd rather have the space.

I don't know how old you are, or how long you have been collecting, or what condition your books are in, but you could be the next Gary Dahlberg?

:applause:

I don't know how old you are, or how long you have been collecting, or what condition your books are in, but you could be the next Gary Dahlberg?

:applause:

No. But I wish. :(

I'm 56, started buying and saving comics when I was 8. But I wasn't, and still am not, a very "picky" collector.

I bought all my books off the spinner rack at the local drugstore, and most of them have the telltale signs. I would pick out a nice copy, but I was rarely there on the day they hit the racks and previous customers had already bent the upper third forward as they fanned through the rack.

They also suffer from blunted corners, bottom and side creases from being shoved in the spinner rack.

I didn't have the luxury of alternate stores to buy my books.

AND (worst of all) I loaned them to my friends and let my little sister read them.

Around late 1969-1970 this changed a bit; I quit sharing my books, my sister lost interest, we had moved and along with being older I could bike to the store on delivery day rather than wait until I could get a ride from my folks. So my collection looks a bit nicer 1970 - on.

I do have some nice OO late, late Silver age and some nice OO early Bronze age stuff though :) . Almost all Marvel.

This was coastal central Florida in the 60's -early 70's. Not a big city, just a small town. Other than a few friends who liked comics, I didn't know anyone who collected with the fervor I did.

The Bell and Rogofsky ads, and tales of comic shops in larger cities were the only evidence I had that others shared my passion.

The concept of high grade collecting was not in my perception, and those early comic ads and their catalogs were my first exposure to differentiating books by their condition.

Edited by ucleben