• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prophet 21 and forward

106 posts in this topic

Anyone else reading and enjoying "Prophet" by Image?

I am really enjoying the classic science fiction elements of this book. I've read 21-24 so far and only have one complaint

John Prophet dies in the first arc, and a new clone begins each new story arc, I'm assuming.

The art and writing are top notch and it reminds me of Moebius.

i think it's great....1000% better than the original.

I had a thread about this somewhere but it fell off the map, surprised there's not more buzz...i think people are turned off because it's a former Liefeld title.

Yes, I am strangely fascinated by this book. It has a European comic feel to it.

And I like the dark humor to it.

It makes me want to read King City.

Have either of you read my spoiler and do you have similar reactions?

and i thought all the clones died...and that one was chasing him

I got thru all of 21 and half of 22 and crapped out last night.

Will finish tonight and reply as soon as able.

This is a great series.

i think it's great....1000% better than the original.

I had a thread about this somewhere but it fell off the map, surprised there's not more buzz...i think people are turned off because it's a former Liefeld title.

That was my initial knee jerk reaction. lol

Prophet?!? The old Liefeld title? Really??

I think it's a visceral response based on the contempt I have for the way Liefeld ran his affairs in the early Image days. Guess I better keep an open mind and make sure I'm not missing a quality read.

i didn't read it that way...i thought he just regenerated parts

Ooooohhhh!!!!!

Will reread with that in mind!

I think we both remembered it wrong. lol

I got it wrong that the original dies in the first arc (21-23). We last see him up in the space station, but he's alive, standing next to two more John Prophets.

But the next issue DOES show a new Prophet (one of the thousands awakened at the end of the first arc. And he dies in the story. So I'm pretty sure that's the formula going forward. Stories of individual John Prophet's.

Very nice OA, Nexus! I get that same vibe. So compelling that I can't look away. Not in a car crash sort of way, but a "wait. what the hell is that?" sort of way

I was definitely hesitant to pick it up because of my horrible Liefled memories, but the word of mouth was too much to ignore. Finally sat down and read it last weekend. I'll be picking it up moving forward.

Yup, I never would have given it a chance, either, because of the Liefeld origins, if not for all the positive reviews. Image is the new Vertigo, taking all the chances. Not all of it works, but they're doing some of my favorite books right now (WD, SAGA, PROPHET, and most of all, THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS).

I am. I have no idea what's going on, but also can't stop reading it. Strangely compelling. Definitely a European/HEAVY METAL vibe.

I like the series enough to want a piece of OA. Here's the page I got:

8526.jpg

Nice! Where did you get this from - I would love to get any OA from this series - as this has become one of the last two series I buy physically (the other being Hawkeye. Everything else is bought digitally, not including old CGC slabs) and is by far my favourite sci-fi book and the perfect example of how vast a world can seem when done right.

Yes, I would kill for some OA.

Nice! Where did you get this from - I would love to get any OA from this series - as this has become one of the last two series I buy physically (the other being Hawkeye. Everything else is bought digitally, not including old CGC slabs) and is by far my favourite sci-fi book and the perfect example of how vast a world can seem when done right.

You're in luck! There happens to be OA available right in your town. The Beguiling reps Farel Dalrymple, so pages from his issues will be available from them. Here's what they have currently:

http://www.beguiling.com/artproductlist.asp?ID=35

Brandon Graham and Simon Roy OA is available here:

http://www.mcconnellart.com/

Lots of great pieces still available, including a cover. Roy's art, especially, is priced well. Good luck!

You're in luck! There happens to be OA available right in your town. The Beguiling reps Farel Dalrymple, so pages from his issues will be available from them. Here's what they have currently:

http://www.beguiling.com/artproductlist.asp?ID=35

Brandon Graham and Simon Roy OA is available here:

http://www.mcconnellart.com/

Lots of great pieces still available, including a cover. Roy's art, especially, is priced well. Good luck!

Thanks! Some nice stuff there - most certainly going to pick a page up from one of those places, i'll swing by the Beguiling and take a look at em soon!