• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Odd bidder stories

14 posts in this topic

Recently had two winning bidders back out. One said he did not "intend" to bid on the item (~$100), despite the fact that he placed 8 separate bids on it in the course of duking it out with another bidder. He won several other items, which apparently were intentional, because he does want those. It was just the one item where the 8 bids were accidental.

The other guy won just one item in the auction (~$40). He informed us that somebody hacked his email, accessed his account, and then placed the bid (actually three successively higher bids before bidding enough to become the winning bidder). He doesn't think he should have to pay for something he doesn't want and didn't bid on.

Anybody have any good stories of bidder's remorse--unfortunate souls who backed out after winning?

Many of them. The most recent being someone who won an Usagi Yojimbo hardcover and emailed me about 4 days later to inform me that he was away for a week and that his nephew went on his computer and went on a mad bidding spree. He came back to find that he won all these auctions, was "horrified" and was in the process of "fixing" the problem. Fixing meaning not paying for any of the auctions.

I had a bidder buy one of my books (shipping $4) and send me an email that said "I researched the shipping, and it costs $2.38. Please put the extra refunded money in the box with my book."

To which I said: "Here's a screen cap of the cost of shipping ($4.34) - it's been my experience that someone who nitpicks over $1.62 is the kind of person that causes a bunch of hassle, so I'll be canceling the sale and refunding your money."

Dlp.

I had a bidder buy one of my books (shipping $4) and send me an email that said "I researched the shipping, and it costs $2.38. Please put the extra refunded money in the box with my book."

To which I said: "Here's a screen cap of the cost of shipping ($4.34) - it's been my experience that someone who nitpicks over $1.62 is the kind of person that causes a bunch of hassle, so I'll be canceling the sale and refunding your money."

Dlp.

:facepalm:

Dlp.

what kills me is people who complain over 50cents diff in shipping forget it costs money for shipping material

Dlp.

what kills me is people who complain over 50cents diff in shipping forget it costs money for shipping material

I had to restrain myself from sending a profanity-laced Ebay message after that. What really irked me is that he obviously took the book weight from Amazon and didn't consider the box or packaging, which drove the price to the original $4 I quoted in the auction.

Dlp.

These are the same people that ask you to get something to eat for them when you go to lunch and give you a five and want the .36 cents back. No pleasing them.

Dlp.

These are the same people that ask you to get something to eat for them when you go to lunch and give you a five and want the .36 cents back. No pleasing them.

lol

This kid i was like best friends with during college and law school was like that!

You know when you go to a restaurant sometimes and the bill is like $12.98. you give them a $20 and they bring you back $7 but not the 2 pennies just assuming that would be part of the tip. This would drive my friend CRAZY!!! he would literally call the waitress over and ask why she was STEALING from him! STEALING 2 pennies!!! :screwy:

It was humiliating to witness! After the 2nd or 3rd time witnessing this, i refused to ever go anywhere to eat with him :facepalm:

Dlp.

lol

This kid i was like best friends with during college and law school was like that!

You know when you go to a restaurant sometimes and the bill is like $12.98. you give them a $20 and they bring you back $7 but not the 2 pennies just assuming that would be part of the tip. This would drive my friend CRAZY!!! he would literally call the waitress over and ask why she was STEALING from him! STEALING 2 pennies!!! :screwy:

It was humiliating to witness! After the 2nd or 3rd time witnessing this, i refused to ever go anywhere to eat with him :facepalm:

I am the complete opposite of that. I can't be bothered to fight over anything less than $50. lol

Seriously, I really don't get it. It must be a horrible burden to live life being compelled to put in so much energy for so little.

Dlp.

lol

I am the complete opposite of that. I can't be bothered to fight over anything less than $50. lol

Seriously, I really don't get it. It must be a horrible burden to live life being compelled to put in so much energy for so little.

tell me about it!

Like a week ago, i sat in line at Walgreens behind some old lady complaining they overcharged her 12 freaking cents! 12 cents!!!

No joke, this went on for at least 10 minutes! I was like" Lady, heres a damn dollar, please just shut up and leave so i can go on with my life!!!!"

She gave me a big speech about how it was the PRINCIPLE of the matter and how young people like me dont understand principles. I told her i have a damn life and dont have a freaking hour to waste arguing over her 12 cents worth of principles! it took everything i had not to give her depends an atomic wedgie! :pullhair:

Anybody have any good stories of bidder's remorse--unfortunate souls who backed out after winning?

Someone winning a slabbed book as a present for their friend because they definitely knew they needed the book. Then after winning, finding out they really didn't want the book.

doh!

She gave me a big speech about how it was the PRINCIPLE of the matter

Yeah it's always "principle", meanwhile they're completely missing the "principle" that time is more valuable than anything else.

Here is my experiences with a bidder who found a way to back out after winning and paying :pullhair:

Recently sold a GL OA page.

About 4 or 5 days after shipping, I received the package back with the words rejected/return to sender on the package. I contacted the buyer who said he was concerned about the package having a crease in it and wanted a refund. I told the guy that since it was fully insured that he should have opened it at the post office and if there was damage then it was covered. I took it to my post office and opened it in front of the post master and the art was fine. She said I could have drop kicked it and it wouldn't have mattered because I packed that thing up really well. The last thing I wanted was the page being bent up.

I knew this was probably a case of buyer's remorse but I felt that I should not have to give the guy his money back. After some back and forth the guy was just unyielding, he wanted a refund period. I decided to call ebay customer service and was given this advice, a) send the item back and take a chance he would refuse it again or b) tell the buyer to file a claim to see what ebay thought of the situation.

The customer service rep told me that the buyer would not have grounds to win a claim since winning an auction was a binding contract and if the item wasn't damaged he should not refuse it. I offered to send it back on my dime but the guy still wanted a refund. He filed a claim and lo and behold he won!

I was totally miffed and called customer service again ready to explode. Fortunately the rep I talked to was very nice and much more knowledgeable than the first one I had spoken with.

To sum up his lengthy explanation: Ebay does not want to see one party "holding" both the money and the item so 9 times out of 10 they will decide against that party. He said my case was one of the more difficult gray area cases since a buyer is refusing an item that he suspects is damaged whereas no damage has occurred as witnessed by the USPS and is still refusing the item. He said claims decisions are final and cannot be reversed. But he did get ebay to refund me the listing fees and my shipping costs, which I thought was pretty cool.

It was a tough pill to swallow knowing this guy got his way out of the item.

I did relist and it sold for about 40 dollars more so that was my silver lining.