• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attention - FAKE Superman #1 CGC 6.0 EP Restored being offered
2 2

80 posts in this topic

Hello All-

Here is how I replied to Enrique-

Hi Enrique,

I sold you a book, here is a scan (in my email I attached a scan of the real book Roy posted). The book you are selling to Roy has the same label # but there is a different comic in the holder. I am not sure what is going on, I know this is a reprint and most certainly not the comic you were sold.

Sincerely,

Vincent

(thumbs u

Hello All-

Here is how I replied to Enrique-

Hi Enrique,

I sold you a book, here is a scan (in my email I attached a scan of the real book Roy posted). The book you are selling to Roy has the same label # but there is a different comic in the holder. I am not sure what is going on, I know this is a reprint and most certainly not the comic you were sold.

Sincerely,

Vincent

In other words Enrique, care to revise your bullsh1t post ?

The plot seems to be thickening.

By the way, I always wonder how these swaps are achieved. Someone mentioned CGC cases as being "tamper evident" rather than "tamper proof." I've actually seen a CGC holder that had been opened by hand without any evidence of cracking or discoloration to the shoulder posts. When the two halves were put together it was indistinguishable from a new properly encapsulated book. I would imagine that a small amount of super glue in the sonic welding areas would hold the book together and be totally hidden.

I hesitated to post this, because I don't want to give scammers more ammunition, but I think this is an area where buyers of graded comics need to be informed, aware, and especially vigilant.

By the way, I always wonder how these swaps are achieved. Someone mentioned CGC cases as being "tamper evident" rather than "tamper proof." I've actually seen a CGC holder that had been opened by hand without any evidence of cracking or discoloration to the shoulder posts. When the two halves were put together it was indistinguishable from a new properly encapsulated book. I would imagine that a small amount of super glue in the sonic welding areas would hold the book together and be totally hidden.

I hesitated to post this, because I don't want to give scammers more ammunition, but I think this is an area where buyers of graded comics need to be informed, aware, and especially vigilant.

If you've seen this, you should take pics and send them to CGC, maybe with an explanation of how it was done. I imagine they are always looking for ways to improve their casing. That would help everyone in this hobby.

If you've seen this, you should take pics and send them to CGC, maybe with an explanation of how it was done. I imagine they are always looking for ways to improve their casing. That would help everyone in this hobby.

I really wish I could, but I don't have pics, and the holder was eventually discarded.

PS - This is a golden opportunity to take a closer look at this. If "EnriqueG" is as innocent as he states (and I find this difficult to understand/believe), then when he receives the book back from his friend, I'm sure he wouldn't mind taking a series of close-up photos of the holder, the corner posts, the label, etc. and posting them here for the benefit of all.

Edited by Shellhead

Looks like this individual is going to stick to his story until the bitter end. Even though the only logical explanation is his attempting to pull a switch & scan, he's going to continue to try to blame MC. Sad.

I had the unfortunately experience of being involved with a woman like that years ago, who'm I catch in lies red handed, but who'd deny, deny, deny right to the bitter end. I think individuals like that get to the point where they actually believe their own BS. Which is scary...

When I did ditch her, it actually took about three months before she gave up & realized that it was over. It was a nightmare.

Luckily, with this guy, no one got taken & he can just be ignored now that he's been revealed to be shady.

Jim

Like someone else emailed me this morning...the book has been improved. It's now high grade and unrestored. :roflmao:

I just posted this thread to make sure nobody bought a fake Superman #1.

Personally, I think this should be worked out between the parties involved in private and then the final results posted when the matter is settled.

Otherwise it just becomes a shooting match in the wild west.

Like someone else emailed me this morning...the book has been improved. It's now high grade and unrestored. :roflmao:

Personally, I think this should be worked out between the parties involved in private and then the final results posted when the matter is settled.

I don't see how Enrique could have seen the scan of the original book and then not noticed a dramatic difference when it arrived in NM/MT 9.8 condition, obviously unrestored, in a FN 6.0 Ext. (P) holder? There probably isn't an Extensive P book in the world that would not be clearly restored to anyone who has been collecting for 30 years.

One of these days, I'm gonna convince you to break out the torches and pitchforks right from the start hm:baiting:lol

Anyone who has done their homework and is spending money on expensive comics like this should know how to distinguish between an original copy and a reprint. Clearly looking at the scans the book is a reprint.

I'm not saying anyone involved falls into any of these categories, but there are plenty of people who

A) Have too much damn money and toss it around without knowing what they're doing or checking on stuff, prone to being duped.

B) Have legitimate mental problems and really believe the twisted facts because they actually see them that way.

C) Sociopaths (not exclusive from B)

D) dumb scammers

Hello,

I´m the person you are speaking about in this post. First of all I want to tell you that I´m not scammer, all the contrary, I´m a comic book lover since 30 years ago, and I would never do anything like that, I´m and have been a honest person all my life. Well I´ll begin with a chronology of the facts.

Taking a look at MC web page I detected the book in question, Superman #1 cgc 6.0, restored, and I decided to purchase it, it had a good price, but not to hold it, but to make some business, I have a couple of costumers, (friends all of them), that offered me more than I have paid. But when I received it, and I saw that it was a fantastic copy, I said -"what the heck,I´m gonna offer it to the best dealers", in order to get more money, or preferably books, that is what I´m always looking for. So I offered it to 3 dealers, but their offers didn´t convince me, so finally I sold it to one of those friends, ( of course, as soon as I detected what has happening I contacted him and gave him his money back, the book is on its way to my home, and of course that friend, that trust me blindly, is following all these, step by step).

I have contacted twice MC in order to clear this, but until now no answer, but you can be sure that I will clear all this mess, I want my name deleted from this message board, but I´m not gonna ask to delete it until I have cleared my name, then I´ll ask him to delete it, and if he is a honest person, I think he is, he will delete it, but until I have cleared it all I´m not gonna ask. Finally some rhetorics questions.

if I wanted to scam anybody would I have offerd it to the best dealers?I think not, I would have offered to a not expert person.

If I wanted to scam anybody would I have written e-mails from my personal address, with my real name?would I have told vintagecomics to check MC about the book and have told him my Ebay nick??

If I wanted to scam anybody would I be here explaining it??

I´ll be here until I can clear everything, thanks for reading me.

What proof is there that this post is actually by the guy trying to sell this book? Any troll could have opened a new account just to stir the pot.

he should send the original one off to PGX for grading.

In all seriousness, this is an area of the world where a great deal of knock-off and reproductions are made and distributed.

In other words, I wouldn't at all be surprised to hear that the slab was reverse engineered, and/or cracked cleanly open for a "quickswitch".

Either way, based on my experience in other hobbies dealing with people from this part of the world, if I were CGC I would be very concerned by the "convincing" factor of a tamper evident holder breach.

6 years later update: the same person, Enrique Gomez Sanchez, appears to be trying to pass off a reprint Batman #1 as an unslabbed, unrestored VF original Batman 1. Wants $60K, doesn't want all the money up front because of "taxes" so just an initial payment of $2500, doesn't have a Paypal account so money needs to be wired, etc. Unwilling to ship the book to have it slabbed before purchase. Just fishing for anybody willing to wire a couple thousand dollars hoping to score a deal.