• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top Silver Age Pedigrees

214 posts in this topic

Hi,

As far as the depth of a collection, I agree with Steve B., that probably the Pacific Coast.

The Pacific Coast books are incredible in technical structure however, as far as the "look" (ink reflectivity, whiteness, freshness etc) of a book, in my opinion (and of course that is subjective), the Curator blows everthing away by a mile.

I have seen the Curator X-Men #1 (9.8), and when comparing it to the Pacific Coast X-Men #1 (despite the identical 9.8 structural grading of the books), the freshness and whiteness of the two books, the Curator is superior.

Brulato told me that when he compared a number of the Pacific Coast Spiderman copies with the Curators, even if the PC was a 9.8 and a curator 9.6, the Curators are another level up with the appearance, freshness and "reflectivity". However Tom would still keep the higher technical slabbed grade.

Dwight

Hi,

As far as the depth of a collection, I agree with Steve B., that probably the Pacific Coast.

The Pacific Coast books are incredible in technical structure however, as far as the "look" (ink reflectivity, whiteness, freshness etc) of a book, in my opinion (and of course that is subjective), the Curator blows everthing away by a mile.

I have seen the Curator X-Men #1 (9.8), and when comparing it to the Pacific Coast X-Men #1 (despite the identical 9.8 structural grading of the books), the freshness and whiteness of the two books, the Curator is superior.

The freshness of the Curators is the main reason I prefer them over the Pacific Coasts. I imagine the Curators look a lot like they did on the newsstands all those years ago. The PCs are great books, no doubt. But I think they do show more signs of age (not handling).

For me, the Boston books come very close to the Curators in terms of freshness and deep colors. I don't think you can say that about the other pedigrees we've been discussing.*

* Maybe the Twin Cities books, but I haven't seen many of those with my own eyes.

Those Oakland books are INSANE! i only have one Oakland but not for lack of trying! This Oakland Avengers 62 sold in December. Single highest graded and 9.6's go for like $250 and the Curator 9.6 sold for $360 a few months ago. I really, REALLY wanted this book and was going to be out for the auction so i put what i thought was a ridiculously over the top bid of $2009! Turned out to be the underbidder as it sold for $2059!!! Easily the nicest #62 i've ever seen by far! :cry:

Someone wanted that single highest graded BAD!!!

av62.jpg

Those Oakland books are INSANE! i only have one Oakland but not for lack of trying! This Oakland Avengers 62 sold in December. Single highest graded and 9.6's go for like $250 and the Curator 9.6 sold for $360 a few months ago. I really, REALLY wanted this book and was going to be out for the auction so i put what i thought was a ridiculously over the top bid of $2009! Turned out to be the underbidder as it sold for $2059!!! Easily the nicest #62 i've ever seen by far! :cry:

Someone wanted that single highest graded BAD!!!

av62.jpg

2,009 dollar bid???? I bought that book in mint for 10 bucks 10 years ago. :makepoint:

Yeah, that was during my "hiatus" and I hadn't bought anything for awhile and went a little crazy :blush: at that point, 62 was 1 of only 2 I still needed between 10-100 so I was desperate. I was actually glad I didn't win!

You better get that "mint" raw graded ASAP buddy! :baiting:

Yeah, that was during my "hiatus" and I hadn't bought anything for awhile and went a little crazy :blush: at that point, 62 was 1 of only 2 I still needed between 10-100 so I was desperate. I was actually glad I didn't win!

If I had a chance at 2K for it I might. lol

You realy cant go by me. I may be the only collector on here who does not care at all about Pedigree books. Maybe I am just behind the times with this. People going gaga over .....ohhhhhh its an Oakland......ohhhhhhh its the news copy. Or the white mana collection (jersey comics boy) might know of this rare find down on 1 and 9 lol ) I dont get it. Sorry. Carry on. :grin:

No, i get that most people dont give a rats behind about Peds. You gotta admit though, thats a NICE looking #62 Pedigree or not. Since its the only 9.8 and certainly doesnt look like it got a gift grade from the scan, it probably is the nicest copy available at the moment. The Pedigree status is just icing on the cake :cloud9:

You realy cant go by me. I may be the only collector on here who does not care at all about Pedigree books. Maybe I am just behind the times with this. People going gaga over .....ohhhhhh its an Oakland......ohhhhhhh its the news copy. Or the white mana collection (jersey comics boy) might know of this rare find down on 1 and 9 lol ) I dont get it. Sorry. Carry on. :grin:

The White Mana Pedigree is one of my favorites. I'm not sure what the PQ is on average, but thems some of the best burgers in NJ. lol

The White Mana Pedigree is one of my favorites. I'm not sure what the PQ is on average, but thems some of the best burgers in NJ. lol

Sure, and if you go there late enough you can watch Ringside let out.....SHOTS FIRED!!!! lol