• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Top Silver Age Pedigrees

214 posts in this topic

That's what makes this a tough question to answer.

Seems everyone is pretty much in agreement that Curators are tops. After that, its definitely a shoot!

Depends on what one considers tops. Early Curators have the whitest cover stock and brightest inks, but not the highest structural grades. Early Pacific Coasts have the best structural preservation and alignment. The Pac Coast X-Men and TOS runs are freaks of nature!

:takeit:

Oh yeah, that Spidey #2 one of a kind. (worship)

Now i know who picked it up...love to have a copy like that... :cloud9:

Just to be clear - these aren't my books. (Well, the Mass ASM #17 is, but the others are just scans I found on the web.)

Doesn't matter, that TC copy is the best copy I have ever seen, even in the 1960's. Never see this issue in true high grade. Wow!!!

The #17 is awesome too. it's one of my favorite books from the SA.

As always for this discussion on SA pedigrees, your mileage may vary.

Early DCs: Western PA, Pacific Coast, White Mountain (many of the Mass early SA DCs are unattributed)

Early Marvel keys: White Mountain, Pacific Coast, Curator, Massachusetts, Twin Cities

Early Marvel non-keys: Curator, Pacific Coast, Massachusetts, Twin Cities, Western PA, Northland

Mid sixties comics: Rocky Mountain, Pacific Coast, Boston, Curator, Massachusetts, Twin Cities

Dell/Gold Key: White Mountain, Pacific Coast, Bethlehem, Northland

We could probably have fun considering each pedigree by title.

I think this post helps prove my point. In every catagory you list, the PC's are second.

I have seen a few comics in my time. As an entire collection, if I had the lucky choice of buying/owning one, it would be the PC's.

Just MHO :preach:

As always for this discussion on SA pedigrees, your mileage may vary.

Early DCs: Western PA, Pacific Coast, White Mountain (many of the Mass early SA DCs are unattributed)

Early Marvel keys: White Mountain, Pacific Coast, Curator, Massachusetts, Twin Cities

Early Marvel non-keys: Curator, Pacific Coast, Massachusetts, Twin Cities, Western PA, Northland

Mid sixties comics: Rocky Mountain, Pacific Coast, Boston, Curator, Massachusetts, Twin Cities

Dell/Gold Key: White Mountain, Pacific Coast, Bethlehem, Northland

We could probably have fun considering each pedigree by title.

I think this post helps prove my point. In every catagory you list, the PC's are second.

I have seen a few comics in my time. As an entire collection, if I had the lucky choice of buying/owning one, it would be the PC's.

Just MHO :preach:

I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying don't buy Avengers 51,65 or 81 :gossip:

lol

Barton, forget these SA pedigrees- some time from now, posterity will be talking about the "Ghost Town BA Picture Frame Pedigree-Collection" - easily one of the greatest ever!

Avenger 88 PC is up in 14 seconds. Bid Bid Bid

That 88 went CHEAP! I just got the Rocky Mountain 9.6 or i would have ben all over it! I think i know who got the 88 so hopefully he snagged it cus it was a pretty good deal!

Despite the ugly duckling PC Avengers i have, im giving it another shot! I just got this in the Clink auction and i had to PAY for it so hopefully this one is worthy of the PC praise! :wishluck:

ap72.jpg

Another to consider for high quality books is the Bethlehem pedigree. It is small and since it was mostly golden age, the silver age books are some of its best examples. As far as Flash books go, SC 4,8,13,14 Flash 105-109 they are some of the best examples. The 106 is a 1959 9.2 white pager. Steve Ritter had them up briefly on his site and said they are spectacular. He did not have a scan of the 105 but said it would grade 9.4-9.6 and would have white pages.

And here is an example of a bad pedigree, a book I no longer own:

flash105.jpg

Before the internet and scans, when you bought books from the description in an ad, I owned a few Mohawk Valleys. I disliked every one of them. Not only were the pages always a terrible yellow, the inside of the covers were burnt. Worst pedigree ever !

OK...I know when I'm being ignored...can anyone please expound yea or nea on the Edenwald Collection? I have one book which I am very fond of...my ASM 24 9.4 CR/OW from Murph here on the boards...

And most curiously why CGC chose not to denote it on the label?

cert

asm24edenwaldcert.jpg

book

asm24fc.jpg

asm24bc.jpg

Along with the Gary D/TC thread...looks like there will have to be a definite (most likely Con meeting) side-to-side book-to-book showdown! :baiting:

Has this ever been done before?? This would be a great idea from Con to Con...with results reported directly back to the boards...hell, one of the computer nerds could dream up a data-base... :insane:

OK...I know when I'm being ignored...can anyone please expound yea or nea on the Edenwald Collection? I have one book which I am very fond of...my ASM 24 9.4 CR/OW from Murph here on the boards...

And most curiously why CGC chose not to denote it on the label?

Conrad Eschenberg is/was a NY area dealer and they were his books. From what I remember, Doug Schmell bought many of them from Conrad in the 1990s and early 2000s. I think the books were pretty spread around before Conrad came up with the Edenwald designation and certs. So that didn't help getting a pedigree designation. Also, the books came from two different owners. The earliest were from the soldier who died in Viet Nam. Conrad bought the later books off the stands. So it definitely wasn't a single owner collection. I'd guess that's what ended its pedigree chances.

I haven't seen a ton of the books, but what I have seen is very nice. I'm pretty sure these books of mine were part of the collection:

FF24-1.jpg

FF30-1.jpg

FF51-1.jpg