• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Northstar marriage story on NBC 4 (Los Angeles) News

64 posts in this topic

The majority opinion in the previous thread about a DC character coming out was that all this stuff is a reflection of mainstream thought. Yet, here we have press releases and news coverage about something people say is mainstream and normal. Seems to me it shouldn't be a big deal if the majority opinion thinks this subject matter is appropriate for comics that children might read.

So which is it? Mainstream and no big deal because it just reflects society? Or a big deal that begs to have press releases and news coverage? If it was considered mainstream and most parents couldn't care less there wouldn't be any media spotlight, right?

See bold - it's because attitudes like yours exist. QED.

Skips Broppers whole point, take one sentence out of context, and tries to make it personal. :golfclap:

The majority opinion in the previous thread about a DC character coming out was that all this stuff is a reflection of mainstream thought. Yet, here we have press releases and news coverage about something people say is mainstream and normal. Seems to me it shouldn't be a big deal if the majority opinion thinks this subject matter is appropriate for comics that children might read.

So which is it? Mainstream and no big deal because it just reflects society? Or a big deal that begs to have press releases and news coverage? If it was considered mainstream and most parents couldn't care less there wouldn't be any media spotlight, right?

See bold - it's because attitudes like yours exist. QED.

Skips Broppers whole point, take one sentence out of context, and tries to make it personal. :golfclap:

*sigh* He's not skipping his point. He's saying that as long as there is still a sizable percentage of the country that feels as Bropper does, moves like this will be spotlighted.

And he didn't take the sentence out of context. It's right in there with the rest of the paragraph, how much more in context could it be? :baiting:

Sure, companies can be compassionate sometimes. You think Marvel's latest "stunt," The Blue Ear, is just a coldly calculated move? I think it was a genuinely good thing to do.

I'm also sure there is at least one (probably many more!) people at Marvel and DC that care about GLBT rights and probably had some input. Also, these are huge companies and the people in charge of those companies are tasked with selling comics. If they just so happen to advance an agenda while they do it then that's killing two birds with one stone. If Marvel didn't have a history of pandering (minority characters are represented terribly/stereotypically) I'd just put this all off on DC who seems to have tried to beat Marvel to the punch with their big announcement.

After having been out of comics for a long time a few years back, I didn't understand why people harbored such jaded feelings and resentment towards these two companies, but being back in the last few years and reading as an adult has shown me why.

What exactly are bisexual rights and how have those rights been denied? That is what the B stands for in GLBT. Seems to me a guy who want multiple wives or a woman that wants multiple husbands should get their own letter in that alphabet group? Maybe GLBT is against people with multiple partners of the opposite sex and only for multiple partners of mixed sex? When is Marvel or DC going to stand up for polygamists? Very intolerant imho.

after reading millions of threads on various forums, i have noticed, when a post uses the word 'fiction' in regards to 'religion' the discussion tends to go rapidly downhill.
We could have avoided religion being brought up in the thread at all

Well some of us could have. Others though...

What exactly are bisexual rights and how have those rights been denied? That is what the B stands for in GLBT. Seems to me a guy who want multiple wives or a woman that wants multiple husbands should get their own letter in that alphabet group? Maybe GLBT is against people with multiple partners of the opposite sex and only for multiple partners of mixed sex? When is Marvel or DC going to stand up for polygamists? Very intolerant imho.

Personally, I'm caring less and less about how things seem to you, but for sake of the slight possibility of educating you, just because someone considers themselves bisexual does not necessarily mean they even have an opinion on multiple simultaneous partners, much less are either for or against 'multiple partners of mixed sex'. Because of the initial social calibration you're exhibiting, you automatically assume what you've always been led to believe is correct, and opening up your eyes and mind might go a long way towards your emotional maturation.

Sure, companies can be compassionate sometimes. You think Marvel's latest "stunt," The Blue Ear, is just a coldly calculated move? I think it was a genuinely good thing to do.

I'm also sure there is at least one (probably many more!) people at Marvel and DC that care about GLBT rights and probably had some input. Also, these are huge companies and the people in charge of those companies are tasked with selling comics. If they just so happen to advance an agenda while they do it then that's killing two birds with one stone. If Marvel didn't have a history of pandering (minority characters are represented terribly/stereotypically) I'd just put this all off on DC who seems to have tried to beat Marvel to the punch with their big announcement.

After having been out of comics for a long time a few years back, I didn't understand why people harbored such jaded feelings and resentment towards these two companies, but being back in the last few years and reading as an adult has shown me why.

Bropper, everything you've said is embarrassingly retrograde and immature. Please stop posting in these threads.

Brooper and green hoodie arguing is the perfect circle jerk. The best part is when all is said and done, only one pair of underwear needs changing. How Bugged out is that?

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thanks Bugs. Wish I could return the compliment, but unlike you I am neither a liar nor a schill.

Dang. Care to back that up? No idea what your talking about.

:gossip: tell him you'll happily meet him at the con of his choice to "sort this out"