• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

the new buyers in the last 2 years, so ive heard rumored , are the Facebook guy, multimillionaires from China (to whom 2-4 million USD is pocket change) and of course Di Caprio

Much more than going on that, yes some hollywood, but wrong continent about the 5-6 new buyers( ALTHOUGH I have heard about 1 far east new collector), Ask ha, they know them ALL.

A drdonaldblake and Mmehdy dialogue piques my interests. .

The WIN potential is high.

Are you following me around this morning?

the new buyers in the last 2 years, so ive heard rumored , are the Facebook guy, multimillionaires from China (to whom 2-4 million USD is pocket change) and of course Di Caprio

Much more than going on that, yes some hollywood, but wrong continent about the 5-6 new buyers( ALTHOUGH I have heard about 1 far east new collector), Ask ha, they know them ALL.

The WIN potential is high.

Are you following me around this morning?

Not purposely.

I think one way that this auction will differ from the Billy Wrights or other recent collections/pedigrees is the following. There's nobody out there thinking these books are upgradeable. Nobody is paying for a 9.6 hoping it's going to bump up to a 9.8. Nobody is going to but these thinking they might go up on a resub. Nobody who dislikes pressed books is going to bid.

That said, it will be interesting to see the outcome.

I think the quality of the 678 books being sold by doug speak for themselves, if you are a collector...this is it....put your money where you mouth is...it anit gonna get any better than this.....marvel wise

Yeah, Doug by far has the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth. I'm sure whoever is #2 on the registry is happy... saying "whew.. finally"

Doug has the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth that`s in the Registry.

But it`s not the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth.

Yup. Tom's got the only Hulk #1 9.4, only FF #1 9.6 - quite the collection.

Doug and Tom were VERY competitive over the years, always trying to eke each other out.

Correct if Tom registered his CGC Marvel collection he would take #1 in most categories.

If by "piques my interests" you mean "makes me want to blow my brains out because of the utter stupidity of both parties", then yes, me too.

I think the quality of the 678 books being sold by doug speak for themselves, if you are a collector...this is it....put your money where you mouth is...it anit gonna get any better than this.....marvel wise

Yeah, Doug by far has the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth. I'm sure whoever is #2 on the registry is happy... saying "whew.. finally"

Doug has the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth that`s in the Registry.

But it`s not the best CGC silver age superhero collection on Earth.

Yup. Tom's got the only Hulk #1 9.4, only FF #1 9.6 - quite the collection.

The only JIM #83 9.6, the only real X-Men #1 9.8, the only TTA #35 9.6, etc.

FF#1 under 500K is a STEAL. Mark that down, hard book to find in 9.6 or above due the white cover. Also if I owned a lessor graded copy of any of his marvel books buy close this is the time to put it on Ha.com, when the loser of the higher grade book scoops it up later in the auction and this is THE marvel auction of ALL time. Expect the 9.0 x-man one from another consigner to break records also from the second in line buyer.

Another quote from an old thread:

Leonardo Dicaprio is apparently a Golden Age collector. Samuel L Jackson, Gene Simmons from Kiss, Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Charlie Sheen sold his copy of Action Comics #1 App 6.5 about 6 years ago.

Gene should be along here any minute now to declare authoritatively, definitively and emphatically that celebrities and rich people never ever ever spend serious money on comic books or OA.

I never said "never", just that the hype is like 1,000x greater than the reality. COI is right - just because one is a comic book fan or has even collected some books in the past does not mean you have that rare pathology of someone who frequents the CGC Boards and is obsessed by Registry points and every 0.2 grade on the CGC scale. For all the billions/trillions in wealth created around the globe, much of which has ended up in the hands of people who were/are comic book fans, the overwhelming majority of the better books are in the hands of guys like Schmell and Brulato, not Seinfeld and DiCaprio. Seinfeld doesn't own the MH Action #1, a dentist in Virginia does. So it has been and so it most likely will be going forward, because, for the die-hards, comics are usually the #1 or #2 most important things in their lives, whereas it almost never is when you have as much other stuff going on as a Cameron or DiCaprio. hm

I'm sure there are Hollywood and other guys buying, but they have mostly been fringe players to date. And, even if a celeb has been behind some of the higher profile private mega-key deals in recent years, one could still very easily argue that those relatively small # of sales were exceptions to the rule.

Leonardo Dicaprio is apparently a Golden Age collector. Samuel L Jackson, Gene Simmons from Kiss, Sebastian Bach from Skid Row. Charlie Sheen sold his copy of Action Comics #1 App 6.5 about 6 years ago.

Gene should be along here any minute now to declare authoritatively, definitively and emphatically that celebrities and rich people never ever ever spend serious money on comic books or OA.

I never said "never", just that the hype is like 1,000x greater than the reality. COI is right - just because one is a comic book fan or has even collected some books in the past does not mean you have that rare pathology of someone who frequents the CGC Boards and is obsessed by Registry points and every 0.2 grade on the CGC scale. For all the billions/trillions in wealth created around the globe, much of which has ended up in the hands of people who were/are comic book fans, the overwhelming majority of the better books are in the hands of guys like Schmell and Brulato, not Seinfeld and DiCaprio. Seinfeld doesn't own the MH Action #1, a dentist in Virginia does. So it has been and so it most likely will be going forward, because, for the die-hards, comics are usually the #1 or #2 most important things in their lives, whereas it almost never is when you have as much other stuff going on as a Cameron or DiCaprio. hm

I'm sure there are Hollywood and other guys buying, but they have mostly been fringe players to date. And, even if a celeb has been behind some of the higher profile private mega-key deals in recent years, one could still very easily argue that those relatively small # of sales were exceptions to the rule.

Don`t wuss out on me now! (tsk)

Gene, ever the Voice of Reason.

(Or the guy that likes to come by and pee in our Cheerios. I can't tell which.)

In general we will all probably be selling our comic book collection one day since when we die we can't take anything with us obviously.

It seems when a collector reaches a certain age (50+) mixed with having completed their collection goals then the next step is ultimately to sell it, especially when a profit is involved.

Doug will probably lose money on the post-65 books, but more than make a big pay day on the early Marvels such as the Fantastic Four #1.

I am not shocked or care that he is selling his collection, but I do find as a business decision the manner in which he is doing is not the way to go in my opinion.

While I agree with his ethical means of auctioning off his collection on another site than his own because that is the ethical move to make. What puzzles me is way he is auctioning everything at once? If it were me I would break all the runs up into separate auctions over a years span. For example in the July Heritage auction he should have just put his Avengers run only in that auction. I think he is without a doubt flooding the market in his move to sell everything at once.

I wouldn't think he needs the money that bad, but maybe he does.......

Either way IMO a very bad move to sell it all at once.

Disagree, the previous 8 Million dollar auction at ha.com shows the market can take his collection at one time easy, 3 years ago before action one sold for 1 million then I would agree, they will all sell and with record prices, there are the best of the best.

That would make the Green River books untouchable, right?

Is the green river killer, consigning them?

Happy Birthday:)

I'm just saying they would be untouchable if the previous owners conduct were taken into account. :foryou:

To take that one step further, should dealers refuse to setup at (and buyers refuse to patronize) the Pittsburgh Convention because they would be financially supporting Michael George? Where does one draw the line?

Wow, I just realized my 10-year anniversary on the boards was earlier this week, I'm getting old! :o

Happy Anniversary, Banner!

aa-108.gif

Thanks! :headbang:

The Gator FB team needs to turn it around next year. :wishluck:

+1 my fellow Gator... (thumbs u

In general we will all probably be selling our comic book collection one day since when we die we can't take anything with us obviously.

It seems when a collector reaches a certain age (50+) mixed with having completed their collection goals then the next step is ultimately to sell it, especially when a profit is involved.

Doug will probably lose money on the post-65 books, but more than make a big pay day on the early Marvels such as the Fantastic Four #1.

I am not shocked or care that he is selling his collection, but I do find as a business decision the manner in which he is doing is not the way to go in my opinion.

While I agree with his ethical means of auctioning off his collection on another site than his own because that is the ethical move to make. What puzzles me is way he is auctioning everything at once? If it were me I would break all the runs up into separate auctions over a years span. For example in the July Heritage auction he should have just put his Avengers run only in that auction. I think he is without a doubt flooding the market in his move to sell everything at once.

When this auction is over, the marvel market will finally come toe to toe with GA....this is gonna be a war.

I'm just saying they would be untouchable if the previous owners conduct were taken into account. :foryou:

To take that one step further, should dealers refuse to setup at (and buyers refuse to patronize) the Pittsburgh Convention because they would be financially supporting Michael George? Where does one draw the line?

We each draw our line a little differently Josh. There are people I won't deal with for one reason or another. There are people who won't deal with me for one reason or another. The only uniformity in all of it is everyone feels completely justified in drawing that line wherever they have.

We each draw our line a little differently Josh. There are people I won't deal with for one reason or another. There are people who won't deal with me for one reason or another. The only uniformity in all of it is everyone feels completely justified in drawing that line wherever they have.

I agree with you 100% on this. Each to their own. I will deal with you Jive, any time (thumbs u

This is just personal preference of purchasing of luxury items. Its their money, people can draw the line wherever they want based on a million different factors, even if appears to be selective moralism or hypocritical. There's no requirements of reasoning to be met, no justification required to anyone but yourself (maybe your significant other).

Obviously its impossible to always refrain from buying from horrible people/companies, but here there's publicly known information and a level of shadiness that may have a (perceived) direct impact on the products in question. For many, that is enough to stay out of this particular auction.

HOWEVER, I would take many things said on this and any other public forum with a grain of salt, as I wouldn't put it past some people (I might have actually done this if I had the money to bid) to try to discourage people from bidding so that I could get a better price. I know that I've feigned moral outrage selfishly before.

Its good to make points and ask questions and ask for explanations, but people can do with their money what they choose, and don't have to apologize for it, although they should also be prepared to accept all the other ancillary results of their actions.

Competing against your own books.

When someone wants ,say 10 books,they may be frustrated and bid on none.

Ive seen this on the sportscard side many times.If I cant have it all I want none.