• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

…and others have noted how many "sales" magically reappear in the next auction.

Or disappear if he feels they sold too cheaply :whistle:

"There are definitely a few books that had sold and then re-listed and then sold again in another auction, etc. I am grateful that these customers/consignors decide to sell again through my site than a competitor's. The problem is some of the purchasers who got them at less than current GPA value ask me not to report the sale for obvious reasons and I respect that. If you bought an ASM 14, for example, at $5,000, knowing you got it on the cheap, (would you) want that sale to be purposely made public when you are trying to sell it for $9,000?"

Doug Schmell

There are books are reappear WRIGHT away.........even on Ha.com, I do not believe they resell them either. I always give the benefit of the doubt because you can only speculate and do not have the full story. Just because some books reappear does NOT lead to the conclusion that Doug bought them back..SHAME ON YOU BOARD MEMBERS...FRICKING ZYGOTE'S

If you weren't such a buffoon, you'd know that this (my) quote was in relation to Doug's market manipulation and how he undermined GPA's credibility by only submiting selective data. But you obviously don't know jack about Schmell and his history.

Everybody has made mistakes and I believe that you can change and grow and you gonna learn.

You ever gonna learn?

Being attorney you are always held to a higher standard...

Then you must be the exception to the rule. Is the Bar Exam all multiple choice?

I hope this is a true and clean auction and I give ha.com the benefit of the doubt and not the members of the board that are trying to get the books and saying they are not bidding so they can get them cheaper.

How ironic, since that's pretty much what you do in the Golden Age section.

No, I didn't mean to suggest that proof of trimming would push me over any particular edge. I just meant that some of the things people have discussed about Doug fall under the "if he does this, then he MUST do this" kind of speculation rather than dealing with more fact-based discussion.

Do you have any other examples? Besides the trimming, everything I've heard said about Doug has been proven true (shrug)

chanelZERO....I mean ZERO...or whatever...let me explain something to you son.....

DS exit and sale of the" greatest marvel collection ever sold at one auction" ( see above article reference) looks like he is going out in style. He might not of started that way, or achieved the collection that way,but by selling thru ha.com you are gonna get the best chance to make this auction as real and honest as possible. they have the resources to check to seek if some sudden bidder comes out of nowhere and bids a couple of million dollars in bids, they have the best software in the business and they for sure have the best system check to prevent some of what was talked about above in his previous auctions, which still in my mind has not been proven. This is not security just for comic books but for all other auctions which total over 3/4 of a BILLION dollars per year.

If that is somehow not understandable to you....well, I can understand that... because you "just got here"...over time I hope it sinks in.

DAD

I'm beginning to think this ChannelZero guy doesn't like Doug. hm

It's probably Stu. Stu'e been on a rampage lately.

chanelZERO....I mean ZERO...or whatever...let me explain something to you son.....

... real and honest as possible. they have the resources to check to seek if some sudden bidder comes out of nowhere and bids a couple of million dollars in bids, they have the best software in the business and they for sure have the best system...This is not security just for comic books but for all other auctions which total over 3/4 of a BILLION dollars per year.

lol at the idea Heritage doesn't bid up its own items. I thought that was why Doug would go to HA.com in the first place.

this thread is funny.

... real and honest as possible. they have the resources to check to seek if some sudden bidder comes out of nowhere and bids a couple of million dollars in bids, they have the best software in the business and they for sure have the best system...This is not security just for comic books but for all other auctions which total over 3/4 of a BILLION dollars per year.

lol at the idea Heritage doesn't bid up its own items. I thought that was why Doug would go to HA.com in the first place.

this thread is funny.

I agree, especially when people use words like buffoon :cloud9:

No, I didn't mean to suggest that proof of trimming would push me over any particular edge. I just meant that some of the things people have discussed about Doug fall under the "if he does this, then he MUST do this" kind of speculation rather than dealing with more fact-based discussion.

Doug has done some bad stuff, no question. And I've not bought from him directly for many, many years, so it's not as if I'm justifying my actions here.

The books speak for themselves as well, and each of us will try to do what we think is right.

Dan

.....it's free speech here, but I always enjoyed Doug's posts and wish he hadn't made himself scarce. I'm all about second chances....I know I've had my share. His transgressions were MANY years ago, and not to justify, but his intentions were never to rob those people, he used the money without permission to capitalize some comic deals. Still wrong, but not quite the same as snatching an old lady's purse in the Food Lion parking lot. Quite a large amount of this collection was amassed well after his offence. He's put in his time and done his homework and I'm impressed with his collection. I'll be curious to see if he retires after this auction. I hope the books go to good homes and I expect this auction to set a World record for a comic auction. The material is about as Top Shelf as it gets. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A drdonaldblake and Mmehdy dialogue piques my interests. .

If by "piques my interests" you mean "makes me want to blow my brains out because of the utter stupidity of both parties", then yes, me too.

Tim; you've hit a nerve here.

DrDonaldBlake saved my Young Azz when I first came on the Boards. he warned me that my FF #11 in 9.4 (which was top census along with only 3 others at the time) was worth far more than I likely thought and to be very careful. I quickly got a bid for 4X's Guide, decide to ask around and did much better because of his unsolicited advice.

If I ever get "Down Under" i owe that man a fine dinner... (thumbs u

Harry, I knew Ben even before the Boards, and god knows I`ve defended him enough times when he was getting abused by the rest of the Boards for some amazingly stupid things that he would utter from time to time. But the last straw for me was when he started his MM appreciation thread in GA (and no, I don`t think he was being sarcastic when he started it).

By all means buy Ben his dinner, he undoubtedly deserves it. Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day.

Being attorney you are always held to a higher standard...

Then you must be the exception to the rule. Is the Bar Exam all multiple choice?

In most states, a big chunk of the Bar Exam is in fact multiple choice. I don`t know if NJ ever changed its rules, but back in my day it was ALL multiple choice and was considered a bit of a joke.

obviously the keys and pedigrees will do outstanding, the regular common issues? deals to be had.

Nah...People will lose out on the bigger books, get "auction fever" and will overpay for books....Seems to happen with all of Heritage's bigger auctions....Twin Cites, Billy Wright, etc...

Doug has done some bad stuff, no question. And I've not bought from him directly for many, many years, so it's not as if I'm justifying my actions here.

The books speak for themselves as well, and each of us will try to do what we think is right.

Dan

.....it's free speech here, but I always enjoyed Doug's posts and wish he hadn't made himself scarce. I'm all about second chances....I know I've had my share. His transgressions were MANY years ago, and not to justify, but his intentions were never to rob those people, he used the money without permission to capitalize some comic deals. Still wrong, but not quite the same as snatching an old lady's purse in the Food Lion parking lot. Quite a large amount of this collection was amassed well after his offence. He's put in his time and done his homework and I'm impressed with his collection. I'll be curious to see if he retires after this auction. I hope the books go to good homes and I expect this auction to set a World record for a comic auction. The material is about as Top Shelf as it gets. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What do you think his intentions were with the JIM reslab mess? That wasn't all that long ago and its pretty obvious he was trying to sneak a book he was told had been trimmed past CGC.

As I understand it, the money he "borrowed"was not replaced until after it was discovered missing, so who can say what his intentions truly were?

Helping his clients avoid court ordered child support payments? I'm sure those were done with nothing but the best of intentions.

Its a shame he is so misunderstood.

obviously the keys and pedigrees will do outstanding, the regular common issues? deals to be had.

Nah...People will lose out on the bigger books, get "auction fever" and will overpay for books....Seems to happen with all of Heritage's bigger auctions....Twin Cites, Billy Wright, etc...

Yep, and we all know what happened when those folks tried to unload their Twin Cities and Billy Wright books acquired during the super-hyped feeding frenzy of the initial auctions, they lost their shirt. The museum pieces will do great in the long run, the non-key and non-descript mid-run issues...not so much. :(

Remember each book comes with the official "Buy it for your head teeshirt" and a Grateful Dead concert CD.

That is reason enough to stay away :fear:

Arex

:hi:

I'm beginning to think this ChannelZero guy doesn't like Doug. hm

What's to like? A leopard doesn't change its spots, not sure why you people give him the benefit of the doubt. (Same people who would buy from The Devil?)

This incident with Blazing Bob only happened 6 months ago. It shows a complete disregard for ethics, principles, common sense, manners - take your pick or add a few more. It's a small incident that illustrates the pattern we've seen from Doug and how his mind works. He didn't even have any idea why Bob was mad at him for this! Nothing has changed; no matter how much blood money he makes, Doug is still scum.