• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

ok, that works too.

Thank you mod, for consistency.

I think your post was spot on.

I've never seen an aggressive Ogami.

lol

ok, that works too.

Thank you mod, for consistency.

I think your post was spot on.

I've never seen an aggressive Ogami.

lol

Aren't you paying attention? doh!

It's taken what, a decade to set the stage? :popcorn:

Just out of curiosity, where do you stand on the concept of fiat money?

hm

Just a basic grasp of the concept, with no particular stance. Why do you ask?

Are you hinting grade-labels were developed as a type of 'fiat currency', used within the comic collecting community? Sorry, just not sure where you're going with it in this context. (shrug)

No, I just think you're reaching a bit in your calling it [comics] a "system" and think your description much better describes the Federal Reserve and how all of North America has been enslaved into a debt it will never repay while the few rich at the top keep getting richer.

Doug's just a collector (an overzealous one who's made some bad decisions admittedly) who's selling his collection. To imply that Doug had a "master plan" (or anyone else involved in either grading or selling of comics) in all of this is most likely incorrect and put's a nefarious implication on everything going on.

Now the Fed, on the other hand...that stuff is documented in detail...but nobody seems to care.

:grin:

Doug's just a collector (an overzealous one who's made some bad decisions admittedly) who's selling his collection. To imply that Doug had a "master plan" (or anyone else involved in either grading or selling of comics) in all of this is most likely incorrect and put's a nefarious implication on everything going on.

When has Dav put anything other than a "nefarious implication" on anything to do with CGC?

There are many forum members that simply cannot help but cast a dark shadow over CGC/Heritage/Matt Nelson/The Boogeyman when given the chance, and of course you know who they are. Oh look, several of them are in this very thread! :whistle:

They're like the anti-Mmehdy/drdonaldblake, the yin-yang of the forums, giving balance between the hyperbole and vitriol, pushing the limits of what one would reasonably expect our gracious hosts to allow, and apparently pushing some over the edge (re: recent pulled posts). Another day in the life in CG... :insane:

Know in advance you are gonna pay, deal with it and keep clicking till you win.

If you are a true collector these books are not gonna come back on the market for a long long time.

Mitch;

What is your definition of a true collector and do you really believe that it is going to be these so-called true collectors who are going to MANNUP to buy these books from Doug.

My personal feeling is that the true collectors are not even going to bother bidding for these books becasue they most likely already have their Marvel collections intact by now and at a significantly lower price point. They will certainly watch with interest and express their ooh's & aah's and cheer them on, but to actually bid on any of them. Absolutely no way as they probably finished off their runs decades ago and certainly not anal enough to pay 6 figures for only slight upgrades in books that have been manipulated, remanipulated and resubmitted countless times.

I strongly doubt that long-time collectors such as Bangzoom, Berk, Geppi, Anderson,etc. will have any interest at all in these books considering their expected price levels. Even long-time dealer collectors such as Bedrock and Fishler will not be bidding on these books. All of these guys probably already have multiple sets of these Marvel runs. I am not even sure if somebody like Brulato will be a major player for these books as he also brought the majority of his runs much earlier in the game. I am sure that he will be interested in some of them, but probably not on a widespread scale. I also don't see the new generation of CGC flippers chasing after these books as all of the upside potential has already been squeezed and shaved out of these books by the time Doug got through with them.

I really see these books going to a new type of investor similar to Parrino and Keller when they came into the market like a flash of lightning for a short while, spent a ton of money picking up books, and then ended up losing a significant portion of their investment. Another one was Kramer back in the mid 90's, although he was at least smart enough to hold onto his books long enough to make some good coin on his subsequent sales. I would not call these guys as true collectors and in today's generation of CGC day traders, my bets are that many of these books will reappear in the marketplace in the not too distant future and available at a substantial discount to their realized Heritage price. hm

Mitch, since you must see yourself as a true collector and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the best of the best when it comes to SA Marvels, I assume that you are going to be at the front of the trough when it comes to bidding on these books from Doug's personal collection. :baiting:lol

Know in advance you are gonna pay, deal with it and keep clicking till you win.

If you are a true collector these books are not gonna come back on the market for a long long time.

Mitch;

What is your definition of a true collector and do you really believe that it is going to be these so-called true collectors who are going to MANNUP to buy these books from Doug.

My personal feeling is that the true collectors are not even going to bother bidding for these books becasue they most likely already have their Marvel collections intact by now and at a significantly lower price point. They will certainly watch with interest and express their ooh's & aah's and cheer them on, but to actually bid on any of them. Absolutely no way as they probably finished off their runs decades ago and certainly not anal enough to pay 6 figures for only slight upgrades in books that have been manipulated, remanipulated and resubmitted countless times.

I strongly doubt that long-time collectors such as Bangzoom, Berk, Geppi, Anderson,etc. will have any interest at all in these books considering their expected price levels. Even long-time dealer collectors such as Bedrock and Fishler will not be bidding on these books. All of these guys probably already have multiple sets of these Marvel runs. I am not even sure if somebody like Brulato will be a major player for these books as he also brought the majority of his runs much earlier in the game. I am sure that he will be interested in some of them, but probably not on a widespread scale.

I really see these books going to a new type of investor similar to Parrino and Keller when they came into the market like a flash of lightning for a short while, spent a ton of money picking up books, and then ended up losing a significant portion of their investment. Another one was Kramer back in the mid 90's, although he was at least smart enough to hold onto his books long enough to make some good coin on his subsequent sales.

Mitch, since you must see yourself as a true collector and this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get the best of the best when it comes to SA Marvels, I assume that you are going to be at the front of the trough when it comes to bidding on these books from Doug's personal collection. :baiting:lol

To answer you directly I first think that the prices are gonna go up after the sale. I put out the billy white collection as an example. After the sale of action 1 for a million, we all knew it would shake out more GA and after that some of the last original owner collections left. The result of the 1st action #1 sale was exactly that, 2 copies sold for 1.5 and over 2 million and one 8.0 or regrade 8.5 for over a million dollars by a known dealer, then Billy white appeared and 3.5 million dollars later records prices abound.

The marvel sale is gonna have the same effect....BUT even greater.

The publicity on this sale is going to be unlike anything we have ever seen period.

As a result, collections will be discovered and sold in the next 18 months, and just like the action #1 8.5, some major collectors are gonna go on the block. The base price used will be this sale and prices are gonna rock, the cream and top books are just hitting stride. By the end of the next two years 8 out the top 20 books will be Marvel #1's. In 5 years, 7 out of the top 10 will be Marvel 1's.

A true collector realizes this and understands this is once in a lifetime opportunity to upgrade to the best of the best period and before the price wave hits. I am really considering going after FF1 because of the new movie in development, white cover, and how af 15 has over shadowed it.

There it is lou...the future before you, the new supply put into the market combined with the new generation of collectors spell an upward trend big time BUT for quality cgc top graded marvel material.