• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Must give some credit to this collection for not being completely and exclusively about label colors and numbers, It's also about set completeness. I consider it far more cool to have a complete set of Avengers with some less than top tier grades than to have an incomplete set defined entirely by the fact that they are all, say, 9.8s. That shows some respect for the title itself and the stories in the books.

i hope the books sell for just exactly what they are worth in terms of market value. i don't want to see it appear that the hobby is dipping, because the prices are artificially low because some don't like the consignor. and i'm not crazy about the shenanigans of the consignor, being a lawyer myself.

Doug Schmell is a liar and a thief who stole from old defenseless ladies, amonst others.

Worse yet he overprices comics, and very seldomnly has anything intriguing such as Fox & the Crow.

;)

It includes pristine first editions of The X-Men, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and The Avengers - which introduced Wolverine, Iron Man and Captain America to the world.

Ho hum. What's so exciting about Silver Age Marvel? They've been everywhere as long as I've known about comic shops and cons.

how many of you are just going to put the wood to the fire and BUY not because of who the owner is but they these are the finest ( hm ) Marvel books ever to be offered?

:baiting:

Not me if he only has the tired books always seen on convention walls. Now if he was offering some nice Atlas western or war comics with Joe Maneely covers, that would be different.

(shrug)

i hope the books sell for just exactly what they are worth in terms of market value. i don't want to see it appear that the hobby is dipping,....

Why not? The market can give whatever appearances and I'll just shrug.The only appearances about which I care are of the comics in my collection.

(shrug)

Like Rick said, I have no doubt Schmell is getting 0% seller's premium and a cut of the BP (probably around 5%). HA does this with big money collections

Hasn't this fellow had his own comic selling racket for years? You know, the kind with high BINs that just sit there month after month, year after year waiting for some sucker? Going to Heritage is hardly the most ringing endorsement of his own outfit.

I wonder if any boardie will now own up to buying anything Schell has listed in the past?

:grin:

not for any high principle, but instead for reasons of pure laziness, i've never registered as a user on his site. i guess i figured i was on enuff sites already, and my perception is that he's a s.a. seller, and i don't fiddle around with that stuff much.

I'm sure there are plenty of label chasers who won't see past the 9.8 label, but many will recall that some of these books started out in his collection as 9.2s and such, and have had the hobby equivalent of plastic surgery.

And there are people such as Doug Schmell and Jason Ewert who've made a good buck catering to this market. Somehow I just don't sympathize with any of them. Who was it that first said "A pox on both your houses"?

???

What's so exciting about Silver Age Marvel? They've been everywhere as long as I've known about comic shops and cons.

Now if he was offering some nice Atlas western or war comics with Joe Maneely covers, that would be different.

(shrug)

I agree. Marvel Schmarvel. It's just a collection of 600 or so ultra-common books in high grade. Other than the obvious value of these books, I'm not so excited about it as a comic collection, as I don't chase numbers on the top left hand corner of a slab. But each to their own.

Like Hepcat, I'd be much more excited about see a collection of 600 Atlas books in very high grade, or 600 pre-code horror books in very high grade. A collection that has books that you rarely see in any grade, let alone high! 2c

Actually I can't wait to own a few copies of some of my favorite SA issues. So many of these books are in outrageous condition and it would be fun to acquire for a few for the long term collection. I'd love to see more high grade Atlas/50's books hit the market but for now I'm going to enjoy this.

I still don't get the uber-high grade appeal? Or the SA Marvel appeal for that matter. I started collecting the Ditko Spidey's and it's so easy!

But whatever, I'm obviously in the minority, as SA Marvel is king.

I still don't get the uber-high grade appeal? Or the SA Marvel appeal for that matter. I started collecting the Ditko Spidey's and it's so easy!

That's the appeal--it's too easy if you don't go for high grade as getting uber high grade historically has been much more of a challenge, although definitely the Internet has made it a bit easier. I got into going for high grade when EBay started--I realized that I could assemble a full run of almost any Silver title I liked within days, weeks, or months at most, whereas going for a full high grade run extends the hunt to years.

All of us have our own versions of skeletons, varying in different degrees and have done or will do moronic inconsiderate things to get a sale.

Ahem. I have NEVER done NOR WILL I EVER do a moronic inconsiderate thing to get a sale! :sumo::makepoint:

I'm not sure what is so hard to get. People love SA marvels so they collect SA marvels. If you have a ton of money to throw at the hobby, you're naturally going to gravitate towards getting the higher graded issues because collecting mid or lower grades would be far too easy.

ASM got me into this hobby. I'm not collecting much right now, but when I do make a purchase it'll probably be an ASM. I love the title. It doesn't matter how common they are or how easy they are to collect, I'm going to dance with the one who brought me. I don't personally have any interest in collecting something just because it's rare.

I'm not sure what is so hard to get. People love SA marvels so they collect SA marvels. If you have a ton of money to throw at the hobby, you're naturally going to gravitate towards getting the higher graded issues because collecting mid or lower grades would be far too easy.

ASM got me into this hobby. I'm not collecting much right now, but when I do make a purchase it'll probably be an ASM. I love the title. It doesn't matter how common they are or how easy they are to collect, I'm going to dance with the one who brought me. I don't personally have any interest in collecting something just because it's rare.

What you collect sucks. What I collect rules.

I can't hear anyone say anything else.

What you collect sucks. What I collect rules.

I can't hear anyone say anything else.

I am so not saying that! All I said is I don't get it. If you're into it, more power to you, for reals. You dig on high grades, buy those puppies till the cows greet Granny!