• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

What puzzles me is way he is auctioning everything at once? If it were me I would break all the runs up into separate auctions over a years span. For example in the July Heritage auction he should have just put his Avengers run only in that auction. I think he is without a doubt flooding the market in his move to sell everything at once.

I wouldn't think he needs the money that bad, but maybe he does.......

Either way IMO a very bad move to sell it all at once.

Recent history suggests otherwise. The collections featured in the last couple of Heritage Signature Auctions have done extremely well by being offered all at once. It was even pointed out earlier in this thread that many of the Twin Cities books are fetching alot less at scattered re-auctions than they did when first brought to market all at once by Heritage.

I seriously doubt few if any of the early ultra high grade SA Mavels that Doug is offering will sell for a bargain strike price.

Yes, looking at some of the recent auction results, I would agree with your opinion. (thumbs u

For example, just take a look at the Church run of Thrilling Comics which went for astonomical prices during the last CC auction. This is normally a third-tier title at best and would be lucky to see a mutiple to guide at the best of times.

Clearly, you haven't been following the Nedor market for the last few years. Multiples of Guide (1.5x +) are the norm on many of the books in the run, not the exception. And we're talking non pedigreed copies here. The collecting pool as a whole may be shallow (perhaps a dozen to 18 serious collectors), but there will never be enough supply to equal even that limited demand.

Yes, I have been following the Nedor market a bit.

I realize that nice copies of Thrillings are indeed selling at a healthy premium to guide as comfirmed by your (1.5+ guide), but not generally at a multiple to guide which to me means 2.0 or more to guide. And most definitley, not at the 7X or 8X guide which some of the Thrillings were able to get in the last CC auction.

BTW: I believe the multiples to guide with respect to the Nedors would be more towards the Exciting's and Startling's, as opposed to the Thrilling run. hm

I agree that the Excitings and Startlings tend to be more sexy, but there are plenty of issues in the Thrilling run that command a hefty premium to guide. Just off the top of my head, a # 11 in 8.5 sold for nearly $2,500, or five times 8.5 guide three years ago, a # 38 in 7.0 sold for $2,475 on C-link (nearly 10 times Guide) earlier this year, a # 33 in 4.5 for $375 last year (nearly three times Guide), a # 44 in 3.5 for $359 (double Guide), and $777 for a 5.0 (2x+ Guide) early this year. None of these books were pedigrees, and the grades were all over the place...I think that's a healthy sign for the strength of the title. Granted, I'll be the first one to conceed that I have gotten more "deals" on this title then its Nedor cousins because I tend to track every auction and ebay listing more diligently then most, and you can occasionally get them at or even slightly below Guide levels, but its much more difficult then it used to be when I first started buying. As for chasing them when they are in a C-link Featured or Heritage Signature auction? Fuggedaboudit!

Anyway, the point wasn't to start a disagreement, but just to offer a different perspective about the perceived demand for the run. Many books, from mid to high grade, will get multiples of Guide, in part due to a weird mixture of scarcity and demand that favors the seller at this point in time. The fact that Overstreet is absolutely worthless when it comes to Guide "values" for this title doesn't help either.

Now, as for the prices paid for the Church run..... that's a whole factory full of fruitcake as far as I'm concerned. :insane:

Not directed to lou_fine, but the stupid in this thread is building quickly.

The "stupid" in this thread broke the upper range of the containment vessel when Mitch referred to himself as Dr.Banner's "Daddy". Especially to anyone who's ever perused a tijuana bible!

Wouldn't high grade Marvels be fish in a barrel if you had Cameron or DiCaprio's resources?

DiCaprio is definitely a collector. There is rumour that he likes Marvels and Timelys. I believe he purchased a highest graded Marvel Comics #1 years ago from Comiclink (filter81's old copy) but I don't know how accurate that is. I think a boardie also recounted how he bought a Cap #1 from a comic store.

More well known is that he frequents Comic Con, specifically the Silver and Gold comics pavilion.

and he smells like an astray and his breath stinks...but he did buy a comic from me 2 years ago, I believe ...whoop whoop

And he told me that you reeked from twizzlers and coke zero, and that your farts stink, but you gave him a nice deal on the book so it was all good

Wouldn't high grade Marvels be fish in a barrel if you had Cameron or DiCaprio's resources?

DiCaprio is definitely a collector. There is rumour that he likes Marvels and Timelys. I believe he purchased a highest graded Marvel Comics #1 years ago from Comiclink (filter81's old copy) but I don't know how accurate that is. I think a boardie also recounted how he bought a Cap #1 from a comic store.

More well known is that he frequents Comic Con, specifically the Silver and Gold comics pavilion.

and he smells like an astray and his breath stinks...but he did buy a comic from me 2 years ago, I believe ...whoop whoop

And he told me that you reeked from twizzlers and coke zero, and that your farts stink, but you gave him a nice deal on the book so it was all good

Imagine being a customer in Gators store that day. :sick:

That actually could accurate :)

Imagine being a customer in Gators store that day. :sick:

It is an absolute pleasure!

This auction is going to get worldwide publicity and bring new buyers into the market. This would be a good time if you know a few collectors to make a move on ulta high grade marvels which are available thru collections before the auction.

Mitch please give up the predictions already. I mean it's just so boring already.

Sit back, enjoy the auction. Hell, even bid on some of them if you like them so much.

But please no more proclamations of comic grandeur.

Mitch please give up the predictions already. I mean it's just so boring already.

Sit back, enjoy the auction. Hell, even bid on some of them if you like them so much.

+1,000

+1,000

I could not agree more. Does this guy actually buy books? I don't know but I damn well hope so, after all this hoop-la. I'm already looking forward to his posting all his upcoming finest acquisitions from this auction.

By the way, who christened this guy, The King? That's like me calling myself 'The Man'. There is only one 'Man', and that's Stan, and there is only one 'King'......

1949-basement-studio_the-dungeonbd0d.jpg

Lets not sully the name.

Can you catch a falling star without burning your hand?

Can you stop the greedy from pressing?

Can you say to an earthquake..'hey - hold still for a second'?

NO! Such is Mhango...

mhango.jpg

Can you catch a falling star without burning your hand?

Can you stop the greedy from pressing?

Can you say to an earthquake..'hey - hold still for a second'?

NO! Such is Mhango...

mhango.jpg

How'd Schmell's Financial Advisor end up in this thread? (shrug)

What puzzles me is way he is auctioning everything at once? If it were me I would break all the runs up into separate auctions over a years span. For example in the July Heritage auction he should have just put his Avengers run only in that auction. I think he is without a doubt flooding the market in his move to sell everything at once.

I wouldn't think he needs the money that bad, but maybe he does.......

Either way IMO a very bad move to sell it all at once.

Recent history suggests otherwise. The collections featured in the last couple of Heritage Signature Auctions have done extremely well by being offered all at once. It was even pointed out earlier in this thread that many of the Twin Cities books are fetching alot less at scattered re-auctions than they did when first brought to market all at once by Heritage.

I seriously doubt few if any of the early ultra high grade SA Mavels that Doug is offering will sell for a bargain strike price.

Yes, looking at some of the recent auction results, I would agree with your opinion. (thumbs u

For example, just take a look at the Church run of Thrilling Comics which went for astonomical prices during the last CC auction. This is normally a third-tier title at best and would be lucky to see a mutiple to guide at the best of times.

Clearly, you haven't been following the Nedor market for the last few years. Multiples of Guide (1.5x +) are the norm on many of the books in the run, not the exception. And we're talking non pedigreed copies here. The collecting pool as a whole may be shallow (perhaps a dozen to 18 serious collectors), but there will never be enough supply to equal even that limited demand.

Yes, I have been following the Nedor market a bit.

I realize that nice copies of Thrillings are indeed selling at a healthy premium to guide as comfirmed by your (1.5+ guide), but not generally at a multiple to guide which to me means 2.0 or more to guide. And most definitley, not at the 7X or 8X guide which some of the Thrillings were able to get in the last CC auction.

BTW: I believe the multiples to guide with respect to the Nedors would be more towards the Exciting's and Startling's, as opposed to the Thrilling run. hm

I agree that the Excitings and Startlings tend to be more sexy, but there are plenty of issues in the Thrilling run that command a hefty premium to guide. Just off the top of my head, a # 11 in 8.5 sold for nearly $2,500, or five times 8.5 guide three years ago, a # 38 in 7.0 sold for $2,475 on C-link (nearly 10 times Guide) earlier this year, a # 33 in 4.5 for $375 last year (nearly three times Guide), a # 44 in 3.5 for $359 (double Guide), and $777 for a 5.0 (2x+ Guide) early this year. None of these books were pedigrees, and the grades were all over the place...I think that's a healthy sign for the strength of the title. Granted, I'll be the first one to conceed that I have gotten more "deals" on this title then its Nedor cousins because I tend to track every auction and ebay listing more diligently then most, and you can occasionally get them at or even slightly below Guide levels, but its much more difficult then it used to be when I first started buying. As for chasing them when they are in a C-link Featured or Heritage Signature auction? Fuggedaboudit!

Anyway, the point wasn't to start a disagreement, but just to offer a different perspective about the perceived demand for the run. Many books, from mid to high grade, will get multiples of Guide, in part due to a weird mixture of scarcity and demand that favors the seller at this point in time. The fact that Overstreet is absolutely worthless when it comes to Guide "values" for this title doesn't help either.

Now, as for the prices paid for the Church run..... that's a whole factory full of fruitcake as far as I'm concerned. :insane:

How dare you interrupt my steady stream of off the top of my head pricing with logical and historical pricing statistics. (tsk) I am just glad I put in the word "generally" to cover my arse. lol

Seriously though, it's good to see that some of these books (albeit classic cover issues) are able to fetch multiples to guide across all of the condition grading spectrum and not just for the HG copies only. No doubt the Exciting's and Startling's are more in demand as Black Terror and Fighting Yank carries a much bigger cachet than Doc Strange.

Are you trying to tell me that I will finally be able to break even on my non-Church copy of Thrilling #1? :wishluck: