• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

5)Numerous Ultra HG books have been micro trimmed.

Can you elaborate please? Which books specifically besides the JIM we know about?

(shrug)

Trimming is not always detectable, so it's safe to assume his assertion is valid.

Anyhow, this discussion is obviously just turning into another typical, emotionally charged pressing thread with nothing good coming out of it so I'm going to bow out.

Have fun all.

:foryou:

My new favorite hobby is counting the number of posts in a thread made by Roy after he says he's leaving a thread. :baiting:

I said I was leaving because it was getting personal. I stayed because Dav admitted to it and because I enjoy a good, solid discussion.

Now I'm staying.

If I leave the thread after I say I'm staying does that count?

:baiting:

That would make the Green River books untouchable, right?

Is the green river killer, consigning them?

Happy Birthday:)

I'm just saying they would be untouchable if the previous owners conduct were taken into account. :foryou:

The original owner of the Green River books was found innocent. When the pedigree surfaced, no other suspect had been found and there was still suspicion the books' owner was the killer--since then Gary Ridgeway was arrested and convicted for the crimes.

Having said that, Ridgeway's confiction didn't establish the fact that he acted alone, so it's still possible the comics' original owner was indeed associated with the murders...so I guess that's everyone's own call to investigate and decide for themselves. One semi-compelling bit of info is that the original owner of the comics has a brother who is convinced that his sibling was involved in the killings and for many years ran a web site showing why he believed it. :popcorn:

We need a pressing appreciation thread.

Once upon a time there was the Manufactured Gold thread.

Sadly, it got yanked. Probably due to it being such common knowledge, a real waste of bandwidth, like someone posting multiple examples of water being wet.

Ok please no more pressing discussion, thanks, new rules on my thread! Its been discussed already. Lets discuss Doug's collection. A couple of questions:

1. Where are these books going to be on display for the auction, Beverly Hills?

2. Where and how did Doug get the major pieces of his collection, all from the overstreet ads and people calling him (not to mention his unlimited source of funds from his client trust accounts at 0% interest)

They will be on display in Berverly Hills 2 days before the auction and during the auction until each lot comes up for sale. If you can't make it to the viewing, view the books in high-res at www.ha.com

Doug has put this collection together for over 20 years. He bought from most major sellers and collectors, privately and at conventions. I loves to say he was the "1st call" sellers would make when trying to sell a super high grade Marvel.

Awesome, looks like I will be making a trip down to L.A. in July to see these books. Maybe put them under glass with a no handling rule (they have all been maximized, so no reason for anyone to hold them up to the light). I would think you could put them at the LACMA as an art exhibit and make about half a million in ticket sales.

That would make the Green River books untouchable, right?

Is the green river killer, consigning them?

Happy Birthday:)

I'm just saying they would be untouchable if the previous owners conduct were taken into account. :foryou:

The original owner of the Green River books was found innocent. When the pedigree surfaced, no other suspect had been found and there was still suspicion the books' owner was the killer--since then Gary Ridgeway was arrested and convicted for the crimes.

Having said that, Ridgeway's confiction didn't establish the fact that he acted alone, so it's still possible the comics' original owner was indeed associated with the murders...so I guess that's everyone's own call to investigate and decide for themselves. One semi-compelling bit of info is that the original owner of the comics has a brother who is convinced that his sibling was involved in the killings and for many years ran a web site showing why he believed it. :popcorn:

One other thing I always wondered about the Green River collector's brother is whether or not he had the same collection of books his brother did. Supposedly their dad had a store and was giving store stock to his son--so was he giving it to both sons, or just one? (shrug) I'm not sure anyone ever found that out. hm

Why? These entire boards are one vast pressing appreciation thread.

This is not a "pressing" thread per se, it's more of an "institutionalized fleecing of the ignorant, comic book collecting masses as diabolically conceived and perpetrated by the hobby insiders years ago" thread. :gossip:

There's a big difference between this and a simplistic pressing thread. The net gets cast wide and no degree of complaining or tossing about of conspiracy theories are off limits in the "institutionalized fleecing of the ignorant, comic book collecting masses as diabolically conceived and perpetrated by the hobby insiders years ago" threads. Ubiquitous micro-trimming, insiders getting favorable grades, mysterious backroom deals, lamentations of how great we had it in the old days, and so forth are all fair game here...and as always, the usual suspects make it a barrel of monkeys for everyone. :screwy:

Wow, im gone for a week in Phoenix and i got a lot of reading to do. The "Covert" operation makes sense. One day i was sitting in my office processing orders and a bunch of Ninjas came flying into my warehouse. It happened so fast. One of them shot an arrow that landed on the wall right next to my ear. There was a flag on it. It said, "You need to submit more CGC SS books." There was also a package of new submission forms left. I did not want to take any chances so i submitted 19 SS books this past weekend. My most ever. There was about 8 of these ninja's. It all happened in about 10 seconds. It was a blur. Also the beer in my fridge was gone. The humanity!!

Wow, im gone for a week in Phoenix and i got a lot of reading to do. The "Covert" operation makes sense. One day i was sitting in my office processing orders and a bunch of Ninjas came flying into my warehouse. It happened so fast. One of them shot an arrow that landed on the wall right next to my ear. There was a flag on it. It said, "You need to submit more CGC SS books." There was also a package of new submission forms left. I did not want to take any chances so i submitted 19 SS books this past weekend. My most ever. There was about 8 of these ninja's. It all happened in about 10 seconds. It was a blur. Also the beer in my fridge was gone. The humanity!!

:facepalm:

:baiting:

This is not a "pressing" thread per se, it's more of an "institutionalized fleecing of the ignorant, comic book collecting masses as diabolically conceived and perpetrated by the hobby insiders years ago" thread. :gossip:

There's a big difference between this and a simplistic pressing thread. The net gets cast wide and no degree of complaining or tossing about of conspiracy theories are off limits in the "institutionalized fleecing of the ignorant, comic book collecting masses as diabolically conceived and perpetrated by the hobby insiders years ago" threads. Ubiquitous micro-trimming, insiders getting favorable grades, mysterious backroom deals, lamentations of how great we had it in the old days, and so forth are all fair game here...and as always, the usual suspects are here to make it a barrel of monkeys for everyone. :screwy:

:applause:

I'd buy you a beer for that one if you lived by.

I think the big question is - if you had Doug's collection would you:

a. sit on it

b. cash out and head to Monte Carlo

I know i would be cashing out like crazy....and im about OCD as them come.

There's a big difference between this and a simplistic pressing thread. The net gets cast wide and no degree of complaining or tossing about of conspiracy theories are off limits in the "institutionalized fleecing of the ignorant, comic book collecting masses as diabolically conceived and perpetrated by the hobby insiders years ago" threads. Ubiquitous micro-trimming, insiders getting favorable grades, mysterious backroom deals, lamentations of how great we had it in the old days, and so forth are all fair game here...and as always, the usual suspects are here to make it a barrel of monkeys for everyone. :screwy:

:applause:

I'd buy you a beer for that one if you lived by.

Hey, I'd totally take you up on that just to see that sweet GA collection you're procuring... :cloud9:

Remember, just because it's in a blue CGC holder, does not mean it has not been micro-trimmed. hm

Conversely, just because its in a green CGC holder with the "Trimmed" designation, does not mean it has been trimmed. I can personally attest to that. Its a fine line to walk, and it really just sometimes comes down to a guess, which ultimately impacts how much the market values the certification process.

Can you elaborate or give an example on the bolded part of your statement?

Bob Siman/namisgr sent in a book he personally bought off the rack and it came back PLOD...can't remember if trimming was identified...Bob can weigh in...

It goes to say that CGC is guaranteed to make mistakes as they are human and not infallible...but in the interest of trimming and micro-trimming it falls much more in the category of pressing as harder to detect than other forms of restoration...thus there will be more mistakes...both identifying trimming that isn't there and missing it when it is...

It's gonna happen...just God forbid it happens to YOU especially with a high-value HG book... doh!

Bob Siman/namisgr sent in a book he personally bought off the rack and it came back PLOD...can't remember if trimming was identified...Bob can weigh in...

It goes to say that CGC is guaranteed to make mistakes as they are human and not infallible...but in the interest of trimming and micro-trimming it falls much more in the category of pressing as harder to detect than other forms of restoration...thus there will be more mistakes...both identifying trimming that isn't there and missing it when it is...

It's gonna happen...just God forbid it happens to YOU especially with a high-value HG book... doh!

Bob's book was an ASM 121 in 9.4 or 9.6 that CGC said was trimmed and he clearly knew it wasn't because he bought it off the stands. Trimming is a tough call because comics are trimmed at the press...finding a post-production trim is difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Bob's book was an ASM 121 in 9.4 or 9.6 that CGC said was trimmed and he clearly knew it wasn't because he bought it off the stands. Trimming is a tough call because comics are trimmed at the press...finding a post-production trim is difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Which then begs the question........why is CGC fine with guessing on micro-trimming when they clearly state that they aren't concern with pressing and disassembly/reassembly of a book because they don't want guessing to be one of their grading requirements? hm

I imagine it has to do with the idea that they dont guess and label it something that they think it is.

They only label something when they can do more than just guess. Even then, like in the case of Bob;s ASM they do get things wrong.

But they arent just guessing.

And if a book is put back together well enough then it is extremely hard to tell.

So, short story long, CGC isnt fine with guessing. Regardless of how you might want them to appear so it fits your view of how the hobby should be.