• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Bob Siman/namisgr sent in a book he personally bought off the rack and it came back PLOD...can't remember if trimming was identified...Bob can weigh in...

It goes to say that CGC is guaranteed to make mistakes as they are human and not infallible...but in the interest of trimming and micro-trimming it falls much more in the category of pressing as harder to detect than other forms of restoration...thus there will be more mistakes...both identifying trimming that isn't there and missing it when it is...

It's gonna happen...just God forbid it happens to YOU especially with a high-value HG book... doh!

Bob's book was an ASM 121 in 9.4 or 9.6 that CGC said was trimmed and he clearly knew it wasn't because he bought it off the stands. Trimming is a tough call because comics are trimmed at the press...finding a post-production trim is difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Which then begs the question........why is CGC fine with guessing on micro-trimming when they clearly state that they aren't concern with pressing and disassembly/reassembly of a book because they don't want guessing to be one of their grading requirements? hm

What are they supposed to do, give trimming a pass like they have on pressing? If they do that, the wheels really come off.

I've always said, it's collectors who need to reevaluate why they're paying insane multiples from one grade increment to the next, at the higher grades, in light of all these issues.

I agree with your second line, but as for the first...

If there is already a corporate line drawn, whereby they label it 'trimmed' if they think it has been trimmed, should they not have called it pressed when they thought it had been pressed?

Consistency and all that. (shrug)

We need a pressing appreciation thread.

Why? These entire boards are one vast pressing appreciation thread.

Isn't that why the boardsregistry was created in the 1st place?

:jokealert:

hm

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic.

How long have you been collecting, sonny? 6 months?

lol

CAUTION....FEISTY BRIT ON HOLIDAY.......GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic

I think this is the quote of the year. Not that I - and probably most of us - agree with it of course

I stand by this statement 100%. Blue is GOLD. It is kind of like the guy that changed his life around, like Doug is trying to do. You look at the Man/Woman TODAY.....just like the comic book that is graded 9.8 that used to be 9.6.....Reality is the book is 9.8...it is what it is today 2012 that counts...

I cannot see how discussing purple labels has anything to do with a collection of the best blue labels ever in one auction. I am aware of the attitude that the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.I do not share that opinion, however if ever there was not a place to mention "restored books" it would be this thread.....the highest rated cgc BLUE collection.

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic

I think this is the quote of the year. Not that I - and probably most of us - agree with it of course

I stand by this statement 100%. Blue is GOLD. It is kind of like the guy that changed his life around, like Doug is trying to do. You look at the Man/Woman TODAY.....just like the comic book that is graded 9.8 that used to be 9.6.....Reality is the book is 9.8...it is what it is today 2012 that counts...

I cannot see how discussing purple labels has anything to do with a collection of the best blue labels ever in one auction. I am aware of the attitude that the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.I do not share that opinion, however if ever there was not a place to mention "restored books" it would be this thread.....the highest rated cgc BLUE collection.

Well, um, you brought up micro trimming and blue label in the same sentence. :shy:

Finally! :banana:

I've run the above through Google translator, using Czech, Swedish and Basque.

It now makes perfect sense...

I stand 100% yours. Blue is GOLD. His life, as well as a guy that Doug is trying to change. Man / woman you can see ..... TODAY as well as the comic is graded, 9.8, used ..... 9.6 9.8 Reality is a book ... It is what it is today ... 2012 is expected to

I do not see how discussing the blue and purple with a collection of brands has not yet been auctioned. We are aware, the position of the sticker purple book "Leopard," I am a comic book collection in the world. Do not share this opinion, but if ever there is no plot, no "re-book" was the week .... It would be vlákno.nejvyšší CGC BLUE albums yet.

Finally! :banana:

I've run the above through Google translator, using Czech, Swedish and Basque.

It now makes perfect sense...

I stand 100% yours. Blue is GOLD. His life, as well as a guy that Doug is trying to change. Man / woman you can see ..... TODAY as well as the comic is graded, 9.8, used ..... 9.6 9.8 Reality is a book ... It is what it is today ... 2012 is expected to

I do not see how discussing the blue and purple with a collection of brands has not yet been auctioned. We are aware, the position of the sticker purple book "Leopard," I am a comic book collection in the world. Do not share this opinion, but if ever there is no plot, no "re-book" was the week .... It would be vlákno.nejvyšší CGC BLUE albums yet.

I don't understand what world Mitch is in sometimes lol

Bob Siman/namisgr sent in a book he personally bought off the rack and it came back PLOD...can't remember if trimming was identified...Bob can weigh in...

It goes to say that CGC is guaranteed to make mistakes as they are human and not infallible...but in the interest of trimming and micro-trimming it falls much more in the category of pressing as harder to detect than other forms of restoration...thus there will be more mistakes...both identifying trimming that isn't there and missing it when it is...

It's gonna happen...just God forbid it happens to YOU especially with a high-value HG book... doh!

Bob's book was an ASM 121 in 9.4 or 9.6 that CGC said was trimmed and he clearly knew it wasn't because he bought it off the stands. Trimming is a tough call because comics are trimmed at the press...finding a post-production trim is difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Which then begs the question........why is CGC fine with guessing on micro-trimming when they clearly state that they aren't concern with pressing and disassembly/reassembly of a book because they don't want guessing to be one of their grading requirements? hm

What are they supposed to do, give trimming a pass like they have on pressing? If they do that, the wheels really come off.

I've always said, it's collectors who need to reevaluate why they're paying insane multiples from one grade increment to the next, at the higher grades, in light of all these issues.

If there is already a corporate line drawn, whereby they label it 'trimmed' if they think it has been trimmed, should they not have called it pressed when they thought it had been pressed?

Oh I agree, that would have been the consistent thing to do, but it also would have been less lucrative.

Oh I agree, that would have been the consistent thing to do, but it also would have been less lucrative.

This. :D

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic.

One word. person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point!

I don't know if I agree that it would be less lucrative. There are grading companies that refuse to grade items. No special label colour to explain deficiencies, issues, tampering - just outright refusal. No less bank smoochy for them - if anything, they are being professionally and ethically cautious about providing any warranty on their inability to detect tampering.

Are you an alcoholic? Do you blackout a lot? Can't you remember your quote (right above) where you said you were pro-trimming? And please tell us how you know Doug is trying to change his ways? As of 6 months ago, the evidence shows he has not changed one bit, and he was disbarred 6 years ago.