• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic

I think this is the quote of the year. Not that I - and probably most of us - agree with it of course

I stand by this statement 100%. Blue is GOLD. It is kind of like the guy that changed his life around, like Doug is trying to do. You look at the Man/Woman TODAY.....just like the comic book that is graded 9.8 that used to be 9.6.....Reality is the book is 9.8...it is what it is today 2012 that counts...

I cannot see how discussing purple labels has anything to do with a collection of the best blue labels ever in one auction. I am aware of the attitude that the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.I do not share that opinion, however if ever there was not a place to mention "restored books" it would be this thread.....the highest rated cgc BLUE collection.

Are you an alcoholic? Do you blackout a lot? Can't you remember your quote (right above) where you said you were pro-trimming? And please tell us how you know Doug is trying to change his ways? As of 6 months ago, the evidence shows he has not changed one bit, and he was disbarred 6 years ago.

lol

How many ID's do you have in this thread alone?

It is simple if a book is 9.8 which seems was Doug's goal who cares how the book got there. The true reality is the book is 9.8 whether thru pressing , Mico trim , or magic

I think this is the quote of the year. Not that I - and probably most of us - agree with it of course

I stand by this statement 100%. Blue is GOLD. It is kind of like the guy that changed his life around, like Doug is trying to do. You look at the Man/Woman TODAY.....just like the comic book that is graded 9.8 that used to be 9.6.....Reality is the book is 9.8...it is what it is today 2012 that counts...

I cannot see how discussing purple labels has anything to do with a collection of the best blue labels ever in one auction. I am aware of the attitude that the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.I do not share that opinion, however if ever there was not a place to mention "restored books" it would be this thread.....the highest rated cgc BLUE collection.

Are you an alcoholic? Do you blackout a lot? Can't you remember your quote (right above) where you said you were pro-trimming? And please tell us how you know Doug is trying to change his ways? As of 6 months ago, the evidence shows he has not changed one bit, and he was disbarred 6 years ago.

Sir with all due respect I am not subject to blackouts or am I an alcoholic...it is YOU that needs to understand the human condition. Doug did a very brave thing selling his collection without RESERVE and taking the high ground returning these to books to all of us true collectors, rather then sell to a "fat cat" banker.

I hope you can believe that a human being can change for the better at any time, this sale thru Ha.com was a step in the right direction for doug, rather than go for the big bang bucks...he is selling back his collection to the community as a whole.

Sir with all due respect I am not subject to blackouts or am I an alcoholic...it is YOU that needs to understand the human condition. Doug did a very brave thing selling his collection without RESERVE and taking the high ground returning these to books to all of us true collectors, rather then sell to a "fat cat" banker.

I hope you can believe that a human being can change for the better at any time, this sale thru Ha.com was a step in the right direction for doug, rather than go for the big bang bucks...he is selling back his collection to the community as a whole.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

How could you POSSIBLY still be debating this - what? A week later? A WEEK of your lifespan is gone. FOREVER. Because you are trying to prove a point to people on the INTERNET?

This is beyond beating a dead horse. This is strapping the dead horse to the hood of your 1974 Ford LTD station wagon and driving it around town screaming incoherently out of the driver's window at pedestrians.

I can't imagine Doug selling unless he absolutely has to. Obviously comics are probably the overriding force in his life and always have been. Many of you detail the lengths that he needed to go in order to assemble his collection. I assume that he must raise some money and the thought of letting even a few of these comics go might be more painful than divesting himself entirely. I think it would difficult for someone like to Doug to accept a lesser collection than what he once had.

I think that it will be very painful for Doug to lose what in a very real sense is his identity. I think that he will feel the same withdrawal that an athlete goes through after he retires and is is no longer an athlete but someone else. During the playing years, the athlete is still able to maintain his identity even off the field, but not after he retires.

Many people have amassed a few million dollars. I can't believe that having extra money in the bank will in any way compensate for the loss of those comics to Doug. There must be an incredible anxiety in his life that the sale of these comics will remedy. Sadly, I think he will be a broken man after the sale.

I'm with you on this one.

I'll remember to pat Doug on the back the next time I see him.

Don't forget to erect the statue in his comic collecting honor.

It could be a traveling exhibition, set up at every Con right in front of your booth!

I have a right to defend myself from this A.H. any time anywhere...hello, if he did not make it personal I would of bounced it off.

Cro-Mags "Malfunction":

"I just can't get through to you

Despite all the ways

I try or any of the things I do

Maybe I'd be better off talkin to a wall

Cause you ain't making any sense at all

I'm walkin and I'm talkin

And I'm tryin and I'm tryin

But I just ain't getting through to you!

Am I just wastin, just wasting all my precious time

Cause I ain't wastin a breath on you or any of your kind

If you had any brains you would open your mind

But, I guess you're just afraid of what you're gonna find

I just can't get through to you

Despite all the ways

I try or any of the things I do

Maybe I'd be better off talkin to a wall

Cause you ain't making any sense at all

It's a malfunction...!"

(That's my Borock lyrics reply)

How you come to these conclusions is beyond me.

First, if Doug had a 'fat cat banker' lined up to sell the books to, he'd have done so in a heartbeat.

Second, there is no bravery in selling these books without reserve. They are quality books. Do you think there is much risk he takes a bath on the sale?

All the talk in here is over my head. One thing I know for sure, is that that is a load of bull. I don't care who your talking about. If this guy could get a better price elsewhere, he would.

Bob Siman/namisgr sent in a book he personally bought off the rack and it came back PLOD...can't remember if trimming was identified...Bob can weigh in...

It goes to say that CGC is guaranteed to make mistakes as they are human and not infallible...but in the interest of trimming and micro-trimming it falls much more in the category of pressing as harder to detect than other forms of restoration...thus there will be more mistakes...both identifying trimming that isn't there and missing it when it is...

It's gonna happen...just God forbid it happens to YOU especially with a high-value HG book... doh!

Bob's book was an ASM 121 in 9.4 or 9.6 that CGC said was trimmed and he clearly knew it wasn't because he bought it off the stands. Trimming is a tough call because comics are trimmed at the press...finding a post-production trim is difficult, and in some cases, impossible.

Which then begs the question........why is CGC fine with guessing on micro-trimming when they clearly state that they aren't concern with pressing and disassembly/reassembly of a book because they don't want guessing to be one of their grading requirements? hm

What are they supposed to do, give trimming a pass like they have on pressing? If they do that, the wheels really come off.

I've always said, it's collectors who need to reevaluate why they're paying insane multiples from one grade increment to the next, at the higher grades, in light of all these issues.

I agree with your second line, but as for the first...

If there is already a corporate line drawn, whereby they label it 'trimmed' if they think it has been trimmed, should they not have called it pressed when they thought it had been pressed?

Consistency and all that. (shrug)

Oh I agree, that would have been the consistent thing to do, but it also would have been less lucrative.

I don't know if I agree that it would be less lucrative. There are grading companies that refuse to grade items. No special label colour to explain deficiencies, issues, tampering - just outright refusal. No less bank smoochy for them - if anything, they are being professionally and ethically cautious about providing any warranty on their inability to detect tampering.

What I meant was it would be less lucrative to label books as "pressed" where detectable, and risk creating a stigma around pressing.

Incredible post. Just incredible.