• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Dougs books are all highly likely to be basically restored(meaning pressed and dissambled) and microtrimmed?

Wow, that's material info for bidders.

Well this auction is going to fail then!

Sure, you read it on CG. It must be true. :facepalm: Don't believe everything you read.

Rhonda :foryou:

Dougs books are all highly likely to be basically restored(meaning pressed and dissambled) and microtrimmed?

Sure, you read it on CG. It must be true. :facepalm: Don't believe everything you read.

:hi: Dennis

This is going to confuse people.

A lot can be learned from CG and this thread specifically. One shouldn't conclude that it's "highly likely" that Doug's books are all microtrimmed and pressed. We do know that Doug has pressed/resubbed books multiple times to get higher grades, and it's likely that if he saw potential in any of his books, particularly the higher dollar ones, he probably would have had it pressed and resubbed by now.

We also know that Doug has tried passing a microtrimmed book through CGC. It's possible and even likely that this was not an isolated incident.

... the purple label books are the "leopards" of the comic book collecting world.

lepers :gossip:

I had meant to post that and had forgotten it and am mildly amused and appreciative that you have corrected that... :censored:lol

I think it's highly probable that they were all paid back. Why don't you call his dad and ask him; he was still a practicing lawyer in NYC last I checked and if I'm not mistaken Junior was pulling his tricks with the escrow funds as pop's right hand man right there in the same downtown office.

Always best to go to the source.

(shrug)

If anyone calls Schmell Sr, I want to be conferenced in. I'm sure Sr. was thrilled with the whole affair. :eek:

Anybody want to set an over-under on how many times Schmell Sr. used the phrase 'those damn comic books' when discussing it with Doug?

The office is way uptown, not downtown, my mistake. I checked the red book and he's still practicing, over 50 years and still going!! That's some stamina there.

:o

In what seems like a complete aside, I've been reading a ton of old CBMs lately. Mostly because I love the content, they came out during a period I was out of collecting, and there is just a ton of good insight in them. Plus they make good plane reading.

Today, I stumbled across this 1997 full page ad in the 50th issue of CBM:

140.jpg

This may all be common knowledge, but I'm interested to know who the heavily capitalized group of collectors buying up high grade GA books and fronted by Steve were -- 3 years before the founding of CGC. Does anybody know? Did this group ever buy up Silver?

I expect this is ground that was already covered somewhere else, but found it very interesting given all the topics covered in this thread about the high grade market.

In what seems like a complete aside, I've been reading a ton of old CBMs lately. Mostly because I love the content, they came out during a period I was out of collecting, and there is just a ton of good insight in them. Plus they make good plane reading.

Today, I stumbled across this 1997 full page ad in the 50th issue of CBM:

140.jpg

This may all be common knowledge, but I'm interested to know who the heavily capitalized group of collectors buying up high grade GA books and fronted by Steve were -- 3 years before the founding of CGC. Does anybody know? Did this group ever buy up Silver?

I expect this is ground that was already covered somewhere else, but found it very interesting given all the topics covered in this thread about the high grade market.

I want to know if anyone just called him to chat about comics. :grin:

We do know that Doug has pressed/resubbed books multiple times to get higher grades

How do you know that?

He knows that because he can read English and has both a short-term and long-term memory.

Welcome back.

:hi: Dennis

My statements were :jokealert:

Amazing how many people are trying to knock the price down of these by claiming they were somehow 'frauds by microtrimming' or other unproven allegation. Maybe a few were, but the vast majority of the 685 are just the best books out there. Doug got them first by paying top dollar at the time. Now that they have gone up 5x or whatever from his purchase price, he is certainly entitled to cash in his gains.

Still it is too bad they dont put this in a museum

I bet some of the people complaining of the MICRO-undetectable trim are gonna be the biggest bidders at this auction. you press and trim but the book still has white pages and looks great anyway. I really do not see a complaint with a 9.8 book it cannot go any higher pressed or not. what is really interesting is what book is gonna go highest, tos 39 or x men 1

I hope someday to see a museum of comic books and art....it is about time...

I bet some of the people complaining of the MICRO-undetectable trim are gonna be the biggest bidders at this auction. you press and trim but the book still has white pages and looks great anyway. I really do not see a complaint with a 9.8 book it cannot go any higher pressed or not. what is really interesting is what book is gonna go highest, tos 39 or x men 1

you should go to Baltimore before it's too late

you should go to Baltimore before it's too late

:signfunny: