• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

so out of the "GOODNESS" of the restorer's heart...he wants to "save" the comic book. 99% of the restores are out for GREED dude......1% if that...want to save the comic book...and make a profit as the same time......,

You comic book saving buddy...JASON care of EBAY.

Susan Cicconi, Tracey Heft, Matt Nelson, and fellow forum member Zeman would appreciate it if you stop treating them as if they either don't exist, only ever do pressing, or are dirty rotten criminals. :makepoint:

We do know that Doug has pressed/resubbed books multiple times to get higher grades

How do you know that?

it was easy to track grade bumps/changes since most of his books were pedigrees.

so out of the "GOODNESS" of the restorer's heart...he wants to "save" the comic book. 99% of the restores are out for GREED dude......1% if that...want to save the comic book...and make a profit as the same time......,

You comic book saving buddy...JASON care of EBAY.

It's not the folks that do the restoration that are greed merchants, it's the ones that don't disclose it that are

Purple label means in our comic book world "BUYER BEWARE". The comic books has been destroyed or altered by evil forces who want to increase the value of the comic book while destorying it at the same time.

This is so myopic. What about the books that are literally falling apart, that can be leafcasted back into supple comics? What about books that, without spine support, are just about to disintegrate? What about books that have had a huge piece of the cover lost that have that piece reconstructed?

Indeed. I will never again see the money I spent restoring my Fantastic 3. It's going to be a money loser, period, and I just don't care. I did it because I love Lou Fine's art, I think it's his best work ever, I want a copy in decent shape and didn't want to drop $20k on a blue label 6.0. The book was a rag before Kenny worked his magic on it, and even though it isn't complete it already looks beautiful.

It's not all about the cash, even for guys like me who buy and sell more than they collect at this point. Doesn't matter how jaded you are, how many decades you are in the hobby, how much you are obsessed with profit....in the end sometimes it really is all about the love of comics.

Pics of my black hearted, greed motivated, resto rape job located here.

I had to wade through several pages of that fascinating thread to see your book, and for those who would rather cut to the chase I think you may want to look here instead. Gorgeous work, and I think you made the right choice to restore it.

The restorers are in the business to make money and it is a free country to do that. I can remember when the restoration folks first came out of the woodwork. It not to restore the books to make the comic book world a better place.,, it was the promise of higher grades and more money upon resale. Greed and money destroyed a lot of great ga comic

Books which as it ended up would of been more vallueable had that not been restored in the first place.

Yea, the comic book folks you mentioned above do restoration out of the goodness of their hearts. Dude, who do think you ate kidding here .

Now this whole restoration mess has a happy ending, if you restore and get caught in your cgc submission you are done for price wise and so justice is served.

The price of pure blue protects futher hacking , repairing or destroying key golden age. Yes there are a few exceptions to the, but very very few.

The restorers are in the business to make money and it is a free country to do that. I can remember when the restoration folks first came out of the woodwork. It not to restore the books to make the comic book world a better place.,, it was the promise of higher grades and more money upon resale. Greed and money destroyed a lot of great ga comic

Books which as it ended up would of been more vallueable had that not been restored in the first place.

Yea, the comic book folks you mentioned above do restoration out of the goodness of their hearts. Dude, who do think you ate kidding here .

Now this whole restoration mess has a happy ending, if you restore and get caught in your cgc submission you are done for price wise and so justice is served.

The price of pure blue protects futher hacking , repairing or destroying key golden age. Yes there are a few exceptions to the, but very very few.

This rambling soliloquy looks like a tornado hit in the middle of a pack of letters and spit out this mishmash of confusion.

And this is after an edit?

Mea Culpa what does it look like before?

:fear:

Except if you microtrim and get a blue label, in which case you should be rewarded because BLUE IS KING, as per your earlier argument.

This rambling soliloquy looks like a tornado hit in the middle of a pack of letters and spit out this mishmash of confusion.

And this is after an edit?

Mea Culpa what does it look like before?

:fear:

He edits every post he makes.

Mitch, lay off the bong. It's not working for you. (:

Your ramblings are just off the wall. Restoration companies were not started to deceive people. It's a small population of people who are trying to pass restored books off as unrestored. Before CGC, there were plenty of restored books that were disclosed and the work was done to preserve the comic to prevent further degradation. There is nothing wrong with that.

CGC's introduction of the purple label definitely lowered the values of these restored books and it's a shame that some books (specifically GA books) have taken a hit. Before CGC, restored GA comics still commanded strong prices.

I don't know what you are thinking going on and on about blue labels. Fact is, buy the book not the label. If you are just blindly thinking all blue label books are the same in a given grade...you are dead wrong.

In this thread, logic is being treated the way Jimmy Linguiniii treats Boardies' dads. :(

1099046-1310090722-fklog.gif

How in the f do you ever get anyone out of a traffic ticket? Do you just repress all of this...whatever it is, in the real world and come here and vent out all your rage?

There is nothing wrong with strong opinions but when you back them up with, well, stupidity, I am at a loss as to what to think.

Maybe Fingh is right and you are the absolute Lord of the Windups.

In this thread, logic is being treated the way Jimmy Linguiniii treats Boardies' dads. :(

lol

That is awesome.

That is so awesome. Put a blue hat on the dude and change "Logic" to "Boardies' Dads" for jimmy Linguiniii's Birthday .gif. :whee:

That is so awesome. Put a blue hat on the dude and change "Logic" to "Boardies' Dads" for jimmy Linguiniii's Birthday .gif. :whee:

Oh,oh,oh,oh,oh.

How in the f do you ever get anyone out of a traffic ticket? Do you just repress all of this...whatever it is, in the real world and come here and vent out all your rage?

There is nothing wrong with strong opinions but when you back them up with, well, stupidity, I am at a loss as to what to think.

Maybe Fingh is right and you are the absolute Lord of the Windups.

Get anyone out of a parking ticket...so Mitch is a lawyer? :o