• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

It's a no doubt 9.7.

Do you think it's a 9.71 or a 9.69?

9.74. If the overhang were perfectly flat then we might be in the 9.82-9.83 territory.

I'm saying 9.73 because I'm a really tight grader. :baiting:

Am I missing something? The book has 3 strong corners and a perfect spine.

It sure does - if you're only looking at the scan of the back cover. meh

Are there defects that I don't see?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Roy is a dealer. It's not good for him to acknowledge things that might rock the boat. :gossip:

I'm a dealer and I'll rock the boat plenty.

It's not a 9.8.

End of.

By golly you're right!

It's not a 9.8.

It's a... err was a 9.6.

TTA-36_juxtapose.jpg

It looked better as a 9.6 :shrug:

I made this point a few pages back in relation to the J.I.M.s.

When you "maximize the potential" of high grade books you end up with uber high grades, but not necessarily books that are strong in grade.

You can't have it both ways, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that this TTA might be soft for a 9.8. (shrug)

I made this point a few pages back in relation to the J.I.M.s.

When you "maximize the potential" of high grade books you end up with uber high grades, but not necessarily books that are strong in grade.

You can't have it both ways, so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised that this TTA might be soft for a 9.8. (shrug)

I don't think anyone's surprised.

How did the cover get brighter on the 9.8? Is it just the scan or can dry-cleaning take what looks like a tanning cover and make it lighter?

How else do you "un-tan/un-age tone" the cover?

How did the cover get brighter on the 9.8? Is it just the scan or can dry-cleaning take what looks like a tanning cover and make it lighter?

:gossip: scanner and/or post processing

It's just the image. Look at the different color on the GCG label up top. You see that a lot in scans unfortunately.

9.6, 9.8, does it really matter to all but a very, very few collectors contemplating purchasing this comic? Besides, don't we all buy the comic and not the grade?

No matter the numerical grade, it's by far the nicest looking copy of this comic I've ever seen, and I'm astonished by the quality of preservation.

No matter the numerical grade, it's by far the nicest looking copy of this comic I've ever seen, and I'm astonished by the quality of preservation.

I think it looks better preserved in the 9.8 scan. The cover is whiter.

:insane:

It also obviously went through some kind of glare removal treatment. :facepalm:

It also obviously went through some kind of glare removal treatment. :facepalm:

I think this is the wrong forum for this discussion. There is already a discussion on glare in the resto forum.