• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

Pro pressing exploded as a result of how CGC grades books and disregards pressed books as resto. However, I am reminded of the fact that CGC wanted to get into the pressing business when they started but then backed out of it due to pressure. They wanted to get into the pressing biz...so maybe their standards are designed that way for a reason.

Remember, they tried to get into the pressing business twice. Once before these Boards were here and this time that we all remember.

This is not true. There was one attempt to open a pressing service, not two.

:gossip: But we know how you like to make things up..... :screwy:

Steve, did you not float the idea back in 2001, got put off by the backlash (during which, Marnin was extremely vocal), took it 'underground', then attempted the public launch of PCS?

Sounds like one attempt to me. All the rest is idea floating and "underground" discussion.

Yes, but that 'underground discussion' was actually a functioning department within Sarasota. Attempt one meant that it went underground, available only by invittion, and attempt two was the public 'launch' of PCS.

Are these comics identified on the label as being from Doug Schmell's vault? That would be useful in the future for collectors such as myself who may want to avoid these comics in the aftermarket because of their history/provenance.

???

You are kidding? Right?

Are these comics identified on the label as being from Doug Schmell's vault? That would be useful in the future for collectors such as myself who may want to avoid these comics in the aftermarket because of their history/provenance.

???

You are kidding? Right?

You must be new here.

Pro pressing exploded as a result of how CGC grades books and disregards pressed books as resto. However, I am reminded of the fact that CGC wanted to get into the pressing business when they started but then backed out of it due to pressure. They wanted to get into the pressing biz...so maybe their standards are designed that way for a reason.

Remember, they tried to get into the pressing business twice. Once before these Boards were here and this time that we all remember.

Steve, did you not float the idea back in 2001, got put off by the backlash (during which, Marnin was extremely vocal), took it 'underground', then attempted the public launch of PCS?

Sounds like one attempt to me. All the rest is idea floating and "underground" discussion.

Yes, but that 'underground discussion' was actually a functioning department within Sarasota. Attempt one meant that it went underground, available only by invittion, and attempt two was the public 'launch' of PCS.

From my vantage point It was all the same attempt. It was one long discussion which became an attempt to put it in practice which then became advertising it to the general public which lead to a huge backlash and its discontinuation.

???

You are kidding? Right?

You must be new here.

I guess I should give myself a WTTBs.

???

The CGC would have to sell an awful lot of grader's notes to afford the manpower needed to individually label all the books that you would want to avoid. In fact, they would have to label every book they grade from here on out with a special "Not Fit For Hepcat" label as I bet you do not buy any CGC graded comics.

From my vantage point It was all the same attempt. It was one long discussion which became an attempt to put it in practice which then became advertising it to the general public which lead to a huge backlash and its discontinuation.

Well, we're splitting hairs here, but I think it's fair to say that there were two attempts to make it public? (shrug)

Well, we're splitting hairs here, but I think it's fair to say that there were two attempts to make it public? (shrug)

Not really splitting hairs. It sounds like there is some belief that The CGC initially made it only available to a secret cabal of nefarious individuals. That is partially true, we were nefarious. But the intention, at least as it was stated to those dealers who initially had access to the service was that it was a trial run to see if it was a workable system before rolling it out to the general public. I am dealer number 0017. I was around early on. I talked with Borock and most of the other CGC guys, including Chris, on a regular basis. I never used their pressing service but was very aware of it and kept in the loop on its development. The idea was tossed around. It was implemented for a few. It was rolled out for everyone. It was squashed.

Nope.

Nope.

So what was Marnin getting all riled up about in the early 00s? (shrug)

???

You are kidding? Right?

You must be new here.

there are no fox and crow issues in the sale. what's he worried about?

Nope.

So what was Marnin getting all riled up about in the early 00s? (shrug)

somebody please answer this vital question. i know i won't sleep peaceably until the matter is, uhh, put to bed.

???

You are kidding? Right?

Not at all. I really do try to avoid the most overpriced comics.

:P

I think Marnin disliked a couple of things about CGC and how it impacted the marketplace.

For one thing, as a 15+ year dealer of ultra high grade comics, and having developed a careful feature-by-feature system for grading books based on both structure and eye appeal, Marnin felt that he was better qualified than CGC graders to assign grades to his stock. He also didn't agree with the CGC standards that emphasized structure at the expense of eye appeal and quality of production.

Coupled with that, it took little time after the advent of CGC for ultra high grade slabbed books to command record-setting multiples of guide. Suddenly, Marnin's books that he thought were receiving inappropriate low grades were being undervalued, and even his ultra high grade raw stock was in less demand as buyers thirsted for slabbed books.

I'm sure there's more to it than that, so perhaps others could chime in.

i dislike a couple things about cgc.

and so what?

You asked, I speculated based on what I know of Marnin. Can't answer for him, but as a high end professional comic dealer I think it mattered a lot more to him than it does to you.

In fact, they would have to label every book they grade from here on out with a special "Not Fit For Hepcat" label ....

Hey, I like that idea! Sort of an inverse of the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

:grin:

...as I bet you do not buy any CGC graded comics.

I've held my nose and bought about a dozen over the years. That's the way I acquired the only nice Brave & the Bold 36 I've ever seen.

BravetheBold36.jpg

(shrug)

???

You are kidding? Right?

You must be new here.

there are no fox and crow issues in the sale.

Thank God for small mercies.

...what's he worried about?

Well right now Lorna the Jungle Girl, Atlas Kid Colt Outlaws, Two Gun Kids and other Atlas western and war comics. Heard of any of those?

:makepoint: