• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug Schmell cashing in his vaulted massive collecion. Poll: Is this the top?

1,888 posts in this topic

...what's he worried about?

Well right now Lorna the Jungle Girl, Atlas Kid Colt Outlaws, Two Gun Kids and other Atlas western and war comics. Heard of any of those?

:makepoint:

I'm sure this one has been pressed to the moon and back. Bought it through C-Link I believe...

lorna14.jpg

And I got this one...

lorna11.jpg

...not realizing I'd get the added bonus of a big pube...

lorna11pube.jpg

...Lucky Me!!!!

In fact, they would have to label every book they grade from here on out with a special "Not Fit For Hepcat" label ....

Hey, I like that idea! Sort of an inverse of the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval.

:grin:

...as I bet you do not buy any CGC graded comics.

I've held my nose and bought about a dozen over the years. That's the way I acquired the only nice Brave & the Bold 36 I've ever seen.

BravetheBold36.jpg

(shrug)

damn, that's a cool book! i have no d.c. gerbers---don't ever remember laying eyes on it.

Are these comics identified on the label as being from Doug Schmell's vault? That would be useful in the future for collectors such as myself who may want to avoid these comics in the aftermarket because of their history/provenance.

???

You are kidding? Right?

You must be new here.

there are no fox and crow issues in the sale.

Thank God for small mercies.

Well right now Lorna the Jungle Girl, Atlas Kid Colt Outlaws, Two Gun Kids and other Atlas western and war comics. Heard of any of those?

i happen to be the proud owner of all the men's adventures and young men war books!

And I got this one...

lorna11.jpg

lorna11pube.jpg

...Lucky Me!!!!

looks near taint.

NOOOOOOO! :cry:

the way i read this thread:

dagnabbit it, doug is an orifice, and i hate that he's going to make so damn much money. so maybe if i scream loud enuff, he'll lose some auction dollars.

So I guess there's a good purpose to it after all.

:devil:

lorna11pube.jpg

...Lucky Me!!!!

Lorna's I hope?

:cloud9:

More likely it's from an EXTREMELY eager fan of hers. :eek:

lorna11pube.jpg

...Lucky Me!!!!

Lorna's I hope?

Is this going to replace the signature series of graded comics?

lorna11pube.jpg

...Lucky Me!!!!

Lorna's I hope?

Is this going to replace the signature series of graded comics?

No, this one gets a green (Qualified) label because the identity of the donor cannot be verified.

I don't think Bedrock has curly hair. :gossip:

Are these comics identified on the label as being from Doug Schmell's vault? That would be useful in the future for collectors such as myself who may want to avoid these comics in the aftermarket because of their history/provenance.

???

You are kidding? Right?

You must be new here.

there are no fox and crow issues in the sale.

Thank God for small mercies.

Hepcat, I don't understand. What has you worried about those kinds of books?

We seem to be going around in circles in this thread. I'm pretty sure this has already been covered so unless someone can prove differently I am quite sure that pressing has been actively used to increase the grades of books before CGC's formation.

We already know that many kids pressed their books using encyclopedias, etc. Why did kids press their books with encyclopedias? To make them look worse? Of course not. They did it because they knew the books would look better. It only stands to reason that someone would eventually develop a way to make the practice more effective than just placing a book under a stack of encyclopedias.

Roy, I don't know if you're just being disingenuous or genuinely trying to mislead, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the basis that the term "pressing" is being used too broadly.

Yes, people did press books in the old days, including the standard put them under an encyclopedia for a month trick. However, the vast majority of the time this was done to remove spine roll and flatten warped books. And successful pressing of that sort would indeed increase the grade of a book significantly in the old days and thereby increase the price significantly. So yes, if we use the term "pressing" to encompass that kind of pressing, then all of that happened before CGC.

However, I think it's clear that's NOT the kind of pressing we're talking about. We're talking about the type of pressing that has become more and more prevalent in the CGC era, which is being used to remove minor defects, not major spine rolls, warpage and ripples. These kinds of defects cannot be removed by putting a book under an encylopedia for a month, otherwise no one would need Matt and Kenny and others to press their books. These are not ratty old books from 1938 being rescued from 6 decades of improper storage. No, they're perfectly nice SA and BA books that already lie perfectly flat, which are being pressed to remove very minor flaws. This may have been done in the old days too, but definitely in nowhere near the volume that it's done now, for the simple reason that there was no financial incentive to engage in this kind of pressing.

THIS is the kind of pressing being advertised as a stand-alone service by numerous practicioners now, whereas it was never advertised as a stand-alone service in the old days. Before anyone points out that Matt and Kenny do press out spine rolls and flatten warped books, yes they do, but my guess is that it is a small minority of the pressing that they do these days.

To address your point about CGC not "hammering" books for NCBs, that may very well be true. But they do knock down a book by 0.2 to 0.4 for such defects. Perhaps that's not "hammering" in the general sense of the word, but among the ultra-HG collectors for whom 0.2 and 0.4 are huge increments, it IS hammering. And for those who engage in pressing for financial return, getting that 0.2 to 0.4 uptick in an already HG book to negate CGC's "non-hammering" is the closest thing we have to modern alchemy.

+1

Tim;

I couldn't have have said it better myself as this was exactly what I was thinking when I read Roy's response. (thumbs u

The way Roy is spinning his version of history, it sounds as though everybody was pressing their books in the Wild West days prior to CGC, and nothing could be further from the truth. Stand-alone pressing was the rare exception to the rule, whereas Roy's post makes it sound like it was "the thing" in the hobby to do by everybody in the years before CGC opened their doors.

As Tim has already stated, there were definitely a lot of ads in those days for restoration with all of the different services being offered. Don't remember any mention of a stand-alone pressing service being offered, unlike the full-page ads we see nowadays offering their services for pressing.

Actually, by the time I finished reading his post, Roy almost had me believing that Matt Nelson must have the biggest collection of encyclopedias in the world. He would almost certainly need it in order to have apparently pressed so many books. lol