• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early thoughts on Captain_Tripps' website????

132 posts in this topic

So far, great site and KILLER books for sale! The good Captain could make a nice living selling just 2 or 3 comics a day.

I agree that larger front and back cover scans would be appreciated. Without them, you have to put a certain amount of faith into the label. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would be nice to take a closer look especially on the higher dollar books. I do appreciate Doug's written descriptions, however.

Bravo, Captain Tripps!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now, which books to purchase first... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, if you sign up and go to the Members Only area, there is a place where you can sign over your soul for some pretty choice books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

What Members Only area? You're kidding, right?

The checkout process/procedure is a little unclear. Once you've created an account and have logged in, clicking on "Buy Now" is a commitment to purchase the book - no shopping cart involved. I think it would be good to have a confirmation step after bidding or buying. I guess Doug doesn't want people clicking on "Buy Now" just to see what happens! An email is automatically sent that says the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your bid has been placed.

Date: 06/15/2004

Item: XXXXX

List Price: $XXX

Your Bid: $XXX

If you (yes, that's a typo in the auto reply) bid is accepted you will be notified shortly. Thank you for using PedigreeComics.com

Sincery,

Doug Schmell

DougSchmell@pedigreecomics.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The book then says "Sale Pending" on the site. I presume payment, ship type, cost, etc... will be worked out via phone or subsequent emails. I'll let you know what happens.

I didn't really mean to buy this book, but I guess I will! foreheadslap.gif Good thing I chose to experiment on one I can afford! insane.gif

From a structural standpoint, the site is laid out fairly well, tho' I should think larger scans (front and back) and easier browsing (eg. by title) would be help.

From a content point of view... ehh... the more I see of the nosebleed market, the less interested I become and the more appealing lower grade books look.

Good luck with it!

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Just finished looking at the new website. Pedigree Comics Some AMAZING books on there! It looks like the good Captain is using primarily his own books as inventory until he generates enough buzz to get some more consignments.

My early thoughts/constructive criticisms:

1) Back cover scans are essential for books that cost this much.

2) Front cover scans need to be bigger (Heritage-sized) and brighter (though not "Heritage-bright," i.e., "so blindingly bright that you can't see defects").

3) Will there ever be a place for DC silver and bronze on there? I know that Doug doesn't really collect them (and thus doesn't have the inventory to populate the site with his doubles) but the site makes it look like DCs will never be sold there, or are not welcome to be consigned. This seems like a weird self-imposed limitation that should be re-thought, if I am reading this correctly. I have to think that if someone came to Doug with a huge DC high grade silver collection for consignment, he'd list them though.

4) I love the comic artwork throughout the site. It makes the site a LOT more fun to surf than ComicLink.

5) Good responsiveness from the links. No dead links. Good website performance.

6) Quite a few typos. Fix them, counselor!!! tongue.gif

7) Is there a "Want List" feature? If not, there should be!

8) Judging from the price that he realized for Harry's copy of FF#11, Captain has the attention of some big buyers. Am I guessing correctly that Tom B. bought the book? smile.gif

9) Love the section on silver age pedigrees. Please expand this to include a description of all of them! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

10) Overall, a very exciting and excellent new website. Congrats, Doug, and best wishes for a successful venture!

there are 4 copies of FF#11 in 9.4 with off-white pages certified so far. Doug said he owned the other three and now has mine for consigment. i believe tom brulato, ghost town and doug own the other three and there is a new person in on this party now that i've sold mine. i needed to sell something just to begin the process finally and this seemed like a great candidate when i got the scoop on the books rarity.

wish doug all the best on his new venture. 893applaud-thumb.gif he certainly has the inventory and now it's just a matter of seeing whether the segment of the market that's interested, bids the books up to the asking prices. maybe my future books will all look like bargains compared to some of the super stuff that's gonna be on here devil.gif

thats one of my impressions as well. Super HG books sure look cooler in your own collection...

than seeing them for sale with sticker prices like these!

I just have no interest in any of them at current prices. Not one book listed passes my litmus test of money well spent.... Great books!!!! but name one comic there that has a any chance of being undervalued at th eprice asked?

thats one of my impressions as well. Super HG books sure look cooler in your own collection...

I just have no interest in any of them at current prices. Not one book listed passes my litmus test of money well spent.... Great books!!!! but name one comic there that has a any chance of being undervalued at th eprice asked?

then again, it's an auction site where the seller will determine if a bid amount is acceptable. so while the prices seem high, they may be bought for less depending on the demand/ or lack thereof for the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At last, something we can both agree on. Aman619, I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship. cloud9.gif

It's fan-freakin-tabulous to get a peek at some of those ultra high-grade gems! The site seems really easy to navigate, and placing bids is simple, with instantaneous e-mail confirmation to boot. No way any of my first bids will be accepted, but you gotta start somewhere.

P.S.: I second the recommendation for back cover scans of the priciest selections.

P.P.S.: You gotta love that Curator Avengers 2! And the PC Avengers 1! And... oh enough already.

At last, something we can both agree on. Aman619, I think this could be the start of a beautiful friendship. cloud9.gif

after I posted, I had occurred to me that thats what we ALWAYS think about high prices, and then they sound cheap later on, but - - I dunno. So lets just enjoy our time together in the trenches, Gene, kinda like New Years Day in WW1. pas the bubbly chum!

I had occurred to me that thats what we ALWAYS think about high prices, and then they sound cheap later on,

You're right, but I really don't think these are the same, and you'd have to really want the issues as a "true collector" to pony up the dough for some of them.

Some of the later Thor's are really nice and have great QP. It would be cool to own a few pedigree books but I just can't spend that kind of money on a non key SA book from a title I'm not currently collecting. frown.gif

Looks like he's directly trying to lure people in with a lower consignment rate than Josh at 8%! gossip.gif

Anyone thinking about listing on his site?

Is there a listing fee of any kind? Like on ComicLink it's $5 if the book is under $100.