• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats an acceptable markup???

Would a 66%+ markup 1 month later turn you off to a seller?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Would a 66%+ markup 1 month later turn you off to a seller?

36 posts in this topic

A book that i was strongly considering in April i see is re-listed at QUITE the markup now. I dont want to give out prices and name names but lets just say its over 66% higher than what it sold for at auction about a month ago. One other thing, this is a key book. It did not go "dirt cheap" or unnoticed. It was fairly well advertised so in my mind, it got the price it was worth in the auction.

Now, i'm all for people making money and running their business but is there a point where it turns you off to the seller when the purchase price is sitting right there on gpa at barely half the new price 1 month later?

Do you guys get turned off to sellers when you see this or just think they can ask whatever you want and it doesnt bother you at all?

A seller can ask whatever they want,whether they get that price is another story.

Thats usually what i think. when i see a markup THAT big, i assume its a starting point and they willl take significantly less. I only get a little annoyed if they are trying to actually get that price and wont budge off it (shrug)

If they wanna toss it out and see if someone bites at a high price fine.

If I tell them I'm interested and make a reasonable offer based on what I know about their final price to buy it (say 10-15% over their price) and there are no other market changes I think thats more than a fair offer from an INFORMED buyer...

If they want to hold out for a big fish with a big wallet and no sense, that's their call.

If they wanna toss it out and see if someone bites at a high price fine.

If I tell them I'm interested and make a reasonable offer based on what I know about their final price to buy it (say 10-15% over their price) and there are no other market changes I think thats more than a fair offer from an INFORMED buyer...

If they want to hold out for a big fish with a big wallet and no sense, that's their call.

Theres a book that sold in February 2011 according to gpa that i would have loved to buy but didnt see it somehow. It showed up on eBay 3 days after the gpa sale at more than double the sale price. I've offered the guy 10%,15%,25% and finally 33% more than he paid at various times during 2011. The last 33% offer, he sent me a message saying he will not sell it that cheap since he had to "pay thru the nose for it" and is barely making any money at his sales price. I sent him back a message telling him i know exactly what it sold for and dont appreciate people lying to me. He sent me some long rant about how i have no clue what he payed for it blah, blah blah. I sent him the gpa link and his response was "whatever! Thats the price!" lol

I don't report to GPA.

I have sales going back 20 years.

How open are you if the seller produces sales results that are 20/30% higher than the last GPA sales?

Do you believe him?

There are some books that I sell for over GPA every time.

And by significant what does that equate in percentage off terms?

Are you dictating to the seller what you feel he can make on the book.

Bob

I don't report to GPA.

I have sales going back 20 years.

How open are you if the seller produces sales results that are 20/30% higher than the last GPA sales?

Do you believe him?

There are some books that I sell for over GPA every time.

And by significant what does that equate in percentage off terms?

Are you dictating to the seller what you feel he can make on the book.

Bob

hey, a seller can ask whatever he wants. Personally, i think it does look a little bad to be asking close to double 1 month later. 20-30%, thats the price of doing business since obviously youre running a business and need to make money. Of course you cant sell books for less than you paid.

if i went on your website and saw the books are all marked up 50%+ from what you bought them for last week, i'm probably not going to be spending a lot of time on your site. YOUR site isn't like that though which is probably part of the reason why I and a lot of others have your site book marked and are on it every week looking to buy something. I dont see 9.0's that you bought last month priced higher than 9.4's so you're obviously not the kind of seller im talking about (thumbs u

If the book is related to a movie (Avengers / Spiderman / Batman / Thanos, etc.) it would not surprise me to see a jump in price even over a very short period in time.

Also, money is tight in April because everyone has to pay their tax bill. There is a good chance that the book was worth more than it sold for due to the timing of the auction.

If the book is related to a movie (Avengers / Spiderman / Batman / Thanos, etc.) it would not surprise me to see a jump in price even over a very short period in time.

Also, money is tight in April because everyone has to pay their tax bill. There is a good chance that the book was worth more than it sold for due to the timing of the auction.

Well, according to recent gpa sales, the book was pretty much in line with recent sales. And like I said, I'm not naming any names but before anyone thinks they know what book I'm talking about, I buy a lot of books other than Avengers. Obviously avengers are going to see a healthy markup after having one of the highest grossing movies in history.

If its a semi-rare key book in top condition, the seller will get his price over time.

What he paid for a book is important to him for setting his price. I don't see how it means anything to a buyer. You evidently had the opportunity to outbid him when the book was at auction, and chose not to. The auction is over, and the results are meaningless. Seller knows what he wants, and is willing to wait on it.

If its a semi-rare key book in top condition, the seller will get his price over time.

What he paid for a book is important to him for setting his price. I don't see how it means anything to a buyer. You evidently had the opportunity to outbid him when the book was at auction, and chose not to. The auction is over, and the results are meaningless. Seller knows what he wants, and is willing to wait on it.

Well, thats kind of my point. I and everyone else in the world had the chance to outbid them and didnt think the book was worth any more. Why now would it be worth close to double what anyone in the world was willing to pay just last month? I just dont understand the logic in that unless you are following blackstarcomics business model ???

If he sells it today, he has a small profit and no book.

Suppose I have a book I know I can sell for $1,000 but won't be able to replace.

Why not ask $2,000 and see what happens. All I needs is one buyer. If and when I need to sell it, I can always lower the price.

Have you tried putting together a package deal? The seller might be willing to discount a few other books if he gets his price on this one?

If he sells it today, he has a small profit and no book.

Suppose I have a book I know I can sell for $1,000 but won't be able to replace.

Why not ask $2,000 and see what happens. All I needs is one buyer. If and when I need to sell it, I can always lower the price.

Have you tried putting together a package deal? The seller might be willing to discount a few other books if he gets his price on this one?

No, i dont want the book even at the original auction price. i just found it semi interesting and wondered what others thought. Dont get me wrong, im not trying to make this seller out as some kind of scumbag or POS or anything like that. He can ask 500% above what he paid if he wants.

I'm just wondering if people find it annoying and think poorly of a seller when they see things like that. If they do, thats potentially hurting your business if you are turning off potential customers while waiting for a big fish to come along. Obviously, people like blackstarcomics are a running joke here when they are asking 20k for a 1k book waiting for one uninformed buyer to come along. This isnt nearly to that level but it seems big enough to maybe be turning off potential customers to your business (shrug)

Well, thats kind of my point. I and everyone else in the world had the chance to outbid them and didnt think the book was worth any more. Why now would it be worth close to double what anyone in the world was willing to pay just last month? I just dont understand the logic in that unless you are following blackstarcomics business model ???

Sometimes the logic equates to: 'I don't really want to sell this book, but I'd let it go at price X.'

Well, i never realy thought about that but that isnt the case with this book. I know what this books sold for and that the person now selling it was the buyer at that original price.

Again though, before anyone gets any more annoyed than they already are, im not saying hes doing anything wrong or trying to call him our or anything like that which is why im not going to give any specifics whatsoever. I'm just wondering how many people if any when they see that give an eyeroll and/or think something negative about the seller.

Honestly, if a book you were following in a auction goes for say $800 and 2 weeks later you see it on eBay for $1500, it has no negative connotations about the seller in your mind? And i'm not saying it should, im just wondering what %of people it does (shrug)