• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yet another AF15 scam on ebay - WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING!

45 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170848604726

So i email the seller asking about it. He says I can have for $3,500 but will only do it through google check out.

I ask for him to send me a picture of either him holding the book or with today's paper or something. He says forget it, he's insulted by me asking :roflmao:

I recognize atleast one of the pictures from a prior AF15 (little white spot on internal front cover page) and then I also notice the seller has a negative feedback for scamming another ebay buyer for the same book (and not that long ago!)

I tell him I'm willing to pay additionally all ebay and paypal fees and he refuses.

100% scam. No, 1000% scam. And so in bad for this wonderful hobby of ours!! :frustrated:

We've all seen this before.

what I want to know is how do we punish these cockroaches for this behavior. He deserves a non-traditional use of baseball bat treatment and these people aren't stopped, unsuspecting victims will be burned hard. Obviously average intelligence on this board is 10x average, so what do we do people?? Reporting to ebay isn't enough...is it?

Just flash him your mighty guns!! :baiting:

lol, thanks man!! Assuming of course, you weren't teasing me. No, but seriously guys, what do we do here?

And, just for all the ladies out there, lol

gun2.jpg

gun.jpg

I reported that listing the other day, I guess eBay doesn't care if someone less knowledgable gets ripped off for a few grand! I recognize that description and it's atrocious grammar from his previous attempt at this AF#15 scam.

His auction is quite a parade of swiped pics. They are obviously from different sources, and the cover damage is different from one to the next. doh!

His auction is quite a parade of swiped pics. They are obviously from different sources, and the cover damage is different from one to the next. doh!

I know, right?! you can tell the inside cover damage doesn't match the pic of the outside cover!

So the latest is, i'm pretending to want the book, but he's insisting he doesn't have a paypal account, only a google account and we need to use google check out.

i pointed out his listing sad "must use paypal" and his response was "i only have google now" :roflmao:

so, my last response was "okay, let's call ebay together and explain the situation, we'll get you set up with a paypal account, or ebay will give it's blessing"

haven't heard back since :shrug:

lol, thanks man!! Assuming of course, you weren't teasing me. No, but seriously guys, what do we do here?

gun2.jpg

gun.jpg

joey, those home alone 2 doves are killing me

gun2.jpg

gun.jpg

joey, those home alone 2 doves are killing me

I still don't get the overuse of tats. Oh well, I guess you get use to human "restoration". doh! I must be an old curmudgeon. :shy:

okay, my fault for changing the subject, but is there nothing we can do to punish these that try to rip off unsuspecting buyers and trash this hobby?

If ebay won't do anything about it, isn't there some sort of cyber fraud group that can be pulled in. After all, isn't it mail fraud (a federal crime) if money or items cross state lines?

The guy never responded to my last email saying "let's have a conference call with ebay and we'll get this figured out'

There is an intra-state fraud division that can address these things. But as I recall they rarely do become involved. It takes so much evidence besides our opinions on grading etc, it's tough to make them listen.

Things may have changed though since I tried to do something in 2004 with a fraud case.

There is a well known thread here that has chronicled dozens of these examples. There have been many members here able to dig up a lot of the personal information about these eBay sellers. That kind of research would be most helpful to be contacting eBay or PayPal, or another authority about the problems.

There is an intra-state fraud division that can address these things. But as I recall they rarely do become involved. It takes so much evidence besides our opinions on grading etc, it's tough to make them listen.

Things may have changed though since I tried to do something in 2004 with a fraud case.

There is a well known thread here that has chronicled dozens of these examples. There have been many members here able to dig up a lot of the personal information about these eBay sellers. That kind of research would be most helpful to be contacting eBay or PayPal, or another authority about the problems.

Yeah. I think of all the data that's been collected against Dupcek (sp?): years of threads, huge warnings, multiple issues brought up with ebay, tons of comics returned PLOD ... Today he's still happily buying PLODS, cracking them, and selling raw as unrestored at higher grades. And he probably still has wicked high positive feedback!

I think there's even a legal case against him, brought by our own esquirecomics. I haven't heard anything about that case in awhile. :shrug:

okay, my fault for changing the subject, but is there nothing we can do to punish these that try to rip off unsuspecting buyers and trash this hobby?

If ebay won't do anything about it, isn't there some sort of cyber fraud group that can be pulled in. After all, isn't it mail fraud (a federal crime) if money or items cross state lines?

The guy never responded to my last email saying "let's have a conference call with ebay and we'll get this figured out'

I'll notify my rep of this tomorrow. He's a good guy and will take it seriously. In the meantime flagging the mess out of this guy will get a slow ebay process moving.