• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spiderman 1 Platinum has crease through front page

30 posts in this topic

So I recently bought a copy of Spiderman 1 platinum, and well against my better judgement I had to open it and look at the extra's the regular version didn't come with. I thought I could be real careful and just peek. Well after opening I found a crease all the way down about 2 inches from the spine, and of course it breaks color...I have heard from many people they consider this a printing defect. To me it is a gradeable defect...any one with experience want to weigh in on this? Oh and I am new here, but a long time collector! Nice to be a member.

So I bought this book and I mean it is definetly one of the nicest one's I have come across...which to say has not been many. Luckily I got this book for a steal and should be able to make my money back...but still I wanted this one for my personal collection and get it signature series by Stan Lee in Chicago this year!

So I bought this book and I mean it is definetly one of the nicest one's I have come across...which to say has not been many. Luckily I got this book for a steal and should be able to make my money back...but still I wanted this one for my personal collection and get it signature series by Stan Lee in Chicago this year!

I am not sure I would let that crease change your plans. I am guessing it won't bother you so much in a SS slab. If you could post a pic or two to get more opinions on the crease, that would be good.

I can do that once I get home...It's just frustrating I know I shouldn't have opened it and that sucks because it was an easy 9.4-9.6 I think. Really it hardly has any spine chipping that these are so known for. The only glaring weakness is a blunted corner on the lower left corner. Still not even that bad. It sucks being a collector, and still reading/looking at all your comics.

Should I post that here, or on the spare me a grade thread?

If you want the boardies to give you an educated guess as to its eventual CGC submission grade, post it in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section.

But you can post it here too to complete your thread. (thumbs u

Should I post that here, or on the spare me a grade thread?

If you want the boardies to give you an educated guess as to its eventual CGC submission grade, post it in the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" section.

But you can post it here too to complete your thread. (thumbs u

(thumbs u

Just to give you an idea of the crease it goes from the top of the book to the bottom just to the left of the torment box. And of course where my hand was holding the cover when opening the page the spiderman face at the bottom. Other than that crease and the blunted edge this book looks great

It is printer related and CGC will downgrade drastically. Some of them have a smaller creasing, your looks pretty heavy. I doubt it would grade above a 9.0 maybe even 8.5. Not all of the print run has creasing. They do give a little with the feathering on the spine with 9.6 and 9.8's.

Man that sucks that is excatly what I was thinking...more a 7.0-8.0 with the crease. I had heard that some people were getting better grades because of a defect in the book. Just goes to show people don't open your platinum #1's lol

Nice, I really wanted a 9.4 or better ss Stan Lee. I mean I can always sell this one use that money for a 9.6 and have CGC remove and get graded ss right?
Nice, I really wanted a 9.4 or better ss Stan Lee. I mean I can always sell this one use that money for a 9.6 and have CGC remove and get graded ss right?

Yes, you can buy a 9.6 but I don't think CGC will remove it for u for signing. I would think u would need to remove and then get it signed in the presence of a CGC witness, keeping in mind that it may not come back as 9.6 after getting signed (sometimes books are damaged during signing).