• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spider-man 3 villian?

96 posts in this topic

I thought Harry became the Green Goblin and Macendale was Hobgoblin. Forgive my lack of knowledge in Spider-man lore, it's changed so much over the years.

The Hobgoblin was originally Ned Leeds (reporter for the Daily Bugle). Then Jason Macendale (the mercenary by the name of "Jack O' Lantern" at the time) hired an assassin (the "Foreigner" -- yes, lame name) to kill Hobgoblin, and he did. Mackendale took possession of the Hobgoblin's equipment, etc., and became the Hobgoblin. This takes us up to the early 1990s, when I stopped reading comics.

Then the stories got stupid and he became some kind of a demon, then some other stuff happened. For all I know, Aunt May could have become the Hobgoblin during the mid-1990s. Wouldn't surprise me at all. foreheadslap.gif

I thought DemoGoblin was a seperate entity? I thought that Lefty Donovan was the original Hobgoblin or something and that Leeds was brainwashed or something and wasn't really Hobgoblin most of the time in the early 80's but was actually Lefty? 893frustrated.gif

No, Lefty Donovan was a hood who Ned Leeds hired so that he could experiment with the green goblin serum on a human subject. (Before Hobgoblin exposed himself to the serum and got super strength.) Lefty died in ASM#245. If Marvel did away with this continuity some time after 1992 or 1993, then I missed it.

foreheadslap.gif Your right. I knew there was a name I couldn't remember. But Lefty popped in my head so I thought what other Hobgoblin could be left? Now I remeber it wasn't Lefty who I was thinking of. I think they said Roderick Kingsley was the real Hobgoblin back in the 1980's and that Leeds was pretty much set up by him.

That rings a bell about something I read from the Marvel Encyclopedia recently, but since it didn't happen while I was reading Spidey (and more importantly, because it's effing lame as hell), I pretend that it never happened.

I thought Harry became the Green Goblin and Macendale was Hobgoblin. Forgive my lack of knowledge in Spider-man lore, it's changed so much over the years.

The Hobgoblin was originally Ned Leeds (reporter for the Daily Bugle). Then Jason Macendale (the mercenary by the name of "Jack O' Lantern" at the time) hired an assassin (the "Foreigner" -- yes, lame name) to kill Hobgoblin, and he did. Mackendale took possession of the Hobgoblin's equipment, etc., and became the Hobgoblin. This takes us up to the early 1990s, when I stopped reading comics.

Then the stories got stupid and he became some kind of a demon, then some other stuff happened. For all I know, Aunt May could have become the Hobgoblin during the mid-1990s. Wouldn't surprise me at all. foreheadslap.gif

I thought DemoGoblin was a seperate entity? I thought that Lefty Donovan was the original Hobgoblin or something and that Leeds was brainwashed or something and wasn't really Hobgoblin most of the time in the early 80's but was actually Lefty? 893frustrated.gif

No, Lefty Donovan was a hood who Ned Leeds hired so that he could experiment with the green goblin serum on a human subject. (Before Hobgoblin exposed himself to the serum and got super strength.) Lefty died in ASM#245. If Marvel did away with this continuity some time after 1992 or 1993, then I missed it.

foreheadslap.gif Your right. I knew there was a name I couldn't remember. But Lefty popped in my head so I thought what other Hobgoblin could be left? Now I remeber it wasn't Lefty who I was thinking of. I think they said Roderick Kingsley was the real Hobgoblin back in the 1980's and that Leeds was pretty much set up by him.

That rings a bell about something I read from the Marvel Encyclopedia recently, but since it didn't happen while I was reading Spidey (and more importantly, because it's effing lame as hell), I pretend that it never happened.

thumbsup2.gif I pretend that Aunt May is still dead. tongue.gif

Burnz,

Take a look at the Comic Price Guide or Chuck's Mile High site and scroll through the pictures of each issue. Gives you a great perspective and idea of first appearances and what kind of issues you might want to buy. Also, check out Amazon's site and pull up the OS guide(s). It tells you when each version was printed (ie: 2004-version 34, etc).

thumbsup2.gif I pretend that Aunt May is still dead. tongue.gif

I have read the issue where she died, but I like the "new" aunt May so much that I don't mind that she died. I just pretend that issue #400 never happened! 27_laughing.gif

SPOILER ALERT!:

After seeing the MTV Movie House premiere of Spider-Man 2 last week, I can guarantee you that Harry will be picking up in his father's footsteps in Spider-Man 3... as for whether or not he wants to blow the last of the Osbourne fortune on modifying his dad's costume to be The Hobgoblin instead of The Green Goblin will remain to be seen.

I can also see the return of Doc Ock and the possibility of Dr. Connors becoming the Lizard in #3 (sorry folks, no Lizard in #2). This would be half of the Sinister Six! If Harry is so set upon revenge, perhaps he'll hire every superpowered thug he can to get Spidey, making foes like Kraven The Hunter and Electro possibilities. As far as Man Wolf is concerned, John Jameson definitely has the motivation to become a super villain in #3 (heck, even I'D become a villain if what happened to him in #2 happened to me!), but he's such a minor character in Spidey's rogues/friends gallery that I doubt they're really going to play this up. You never know though...

Let's just hope Spidey 3 doesn't have TOO MANY villains... we don't want another Batman and Robin!