• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG Books " Comic Grading Group " Initial observations

109 posts in this topic

Whats this I Forgive CGG Thread! that! There a cheap lame company that puts books in a PVC Holder with a Dart Board to to say its Restored or Not restored with the Bullseye being Restored There probably Poor Dart players too!

Hay look I have never said they cant Grade I have always said they seem Cheap and it has been proven with there holder inside! I am waiting for a real Grading company to compete!

Yes CGC is slow right now but they have brought in a new great Grader in Timely and Hopefully more good people to encapulate the books! I believe it will get better but you just cant bring in anyone and expect it to be okay! It has to be worked out in a manner to train the newbies to do the job right! I mean I want the same quality and Professional Service! Efforts are being made I believe and it will take time! But give it some time and it will happen! Just my 3 cents worth!

Davidking623

What if CGC & CGG books of the same grade sold for exactly the same amount?

Would you still wait four months to get the books you're selling back from CGC?

Yes.

gossip.gif

Whats this I Forgive CGG Thread! that! There a cheap lame company that puts books in a PVC Holder with a Dart Board to to say its Restored or Not restored with the Bullseye being Restored There probably Poor Dart players too!

Hay look I have never said they cant Grade I have always said they seem Cheap and it has been proven with there holder inside! I am waiting for a real Grading company to compete!

Yes CGC is slow right now but they have brought in a new great Grader in Timely and Hopefully more good people to encapulate the books! I believe it will get better but you just cant bring in anyone and expect it to be okay! It has to be worked out in a manner to train the newbies to do the job right! I mean I want the same quality and Professional Service! Efforts are being made I believe and it will take time! But give it some time and it will happen! Just my 3 cents worth!

Davidking623

It's not about "forgiving" CGG. It is a discussion about what WILL happen to CGC if they don't improve their turnaround times, along with a discussion of what changes CGG needs to make if they want to become a legitimate competitor of CGC. Whether those few of us on this board who have followed the CGG discussions over the last few months forgive them or not, they have the potential to gain large chunks of market share and become a real player if CGG improves its shortcomings and if CGC does not improve its turnaround times. It has nothing to do with us "forgiving" CGG for past sins.

CGG misses a lot of restoration though. And their holder isn't archival-quality. But as long as those two things don't bother you, no biggie I guess!

That's a BIG consideration that I neglected to explicitly state in my last post. In terms of reputation, this very point is what I was referring to. Thanks for jarring my memory there FFB... tongue.gif

Express turn around is on-time. Last batch I sent in took exactly 5 business days. They received the books on a Sat. They were on their way out to me the next Monday.

Brian

Yet aren't the 3 free subs with CS membership Standard subs, not Express subs.

CGG has a LONG way to come before they could be considered as taking up a reasonable size of the market share. First of all, I don't know any national dealer or auction house that uses them. Second, noone has ever heard of these ppl and more importantly noone knows ANYTHING about their restoration expert. Not to mention the fact that they sent an altered scan and blamed the customers for faults, that's the true sign of a winner! Finally, if they do start getting more shipments who's to say THEIR turnaround times won't go up? Either they go up or they hire more ppl, and I don't want to think about which random guy they'd hire on to help out. wink.gif

Brian

Express turn around is on-time. Last batch I sent in took exactly 5 business days. They received the books on a Sat. They were on their way out to me the next Monday.

Brian

No they ARE EXPRESS. That is why it is a great deal. $79 x 3 or $99 for 3.

BTW you are cracking me up... grin.gif

Brian

Been so long since I got my membership, that was a good deal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Brian

http://www.collectors-society.com/benefits.asp

Brian

Been so long since I got my membership, that was a good deal. 893applaud-thumb.gif

sign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gifsign-funnypost.gif

Oh man I am in tears. You are funny dude 27_laughing.gif

What if CGC & CGG books of the same grade sold for exactly the same amount?

Would you still wait four months to get the books you're selling back from CGC?

Depending on my focus, my feelings vary:

As a pure SELLER...

As I indicated in a previous point, NO. I couldn't justify my money being held up that long. Even if I thought CGC was a superior service. If I had 0% interest rate on my line of credit, I'd still not use them only because my money is tied up in the inventory that I would need back. Simple financial decision I'm afraid. BTW, I don't want to consider other companies, but I may be forced to. Inflation means interest rates will increase, and I know I can't keep my inventory "tied up" in ADDITION TO a credit card payment charged immediately on receipt.

As a pure BUYER/COLLECTOR...

I'd want the best product and service. Although CGC's timeframes are horrific, I'd use them today despite high cost because of the additional services of the holder, better restoration detection, and better liquidity than other companies. So from that perspective the product/service is more important than timeframes and cost.

Davidking623

It's not about "forgiving" CGG. It is a discussion about what WILL happen to CGC if they don't improve their turnaround times, along with a discussion of what changes CGG needs to make if they want to become a legitimate competitor of CGC. Whether those few of us on this board who have followed the CGG discussions over the last few months forgive them or not, they have the potential to gain large chunks of market share and become a real player if CGG improves its shortcomings and if CGC does not improve its turnaround times. It has nothing to do with us "forgiving" CGG for past sins.

I guess I read the Heading wrong!

Re: CGG Books " Comic Grading Group " Initial observations [Re: Murph]

Davidking623

Most significantly, I wish CGC wiould simply post a realistric turnaround time.

I agree, and this a big beef of mine with CGC. Sure, I could accept it early on, but it's been 4+ years, and they're still bald-faced lying on their website, and likely will continue to do so for years to come.

Modern:

Estimated Turnaround: 20 business days

Real Turnaround: 70+ business days

Now this has been the norm for-like-ever, so at what point are CGC's "Estimated Turnaround" deemed fraudulent?

Most significantly, I wish CGC wiould simply post a realistric turnaround time.

I agree, and this a big beef of mine with CGC. Sure, I could accept it early on, but it's been 4+ years, and they're still bald-faced lying on their website, and likely will continue to do so for years to come.

Modern:

Estimated Turnaround: 20 business days

Real Turnaround: 70+ business days

Now this has been the norm for-like-ever, so at what point are CGC's "Estimated Turnaround" deemed fraudulent?

Like I said previously, this is in order to lure in the newbies. No newbie would submit with a 70-day turnaround. Us CGC fan-addicts are so attached to the product that we just put up with it. And we KNOW what is going on. The newbies may see the shipping updates but I believe what makes the bigger impression to them is the 20 or 40 day stated turnaround time. Another greedy aspect of CGC. Oh well, love 'em or leave 'em. Just like women. We want them so badly that "we just put up with it". --------Sid

Regardless, CGC is a business, and you'd think they're breaking quite a few laws by wantonly and fraudulently stating erroneous "estimated times" for 4+ years.

CGC rakes in millions, and blatant misrepresentation isn't a joke, as much as you seem to think it is.