• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PRETTY DC'S FOR 6/17/04

23 posts in this topic

here are 3 of my early off-the-rack purchased Green Lanterns from 1962, just back today after 4 months in sarasota. the #13 is the first Flash crossover.........all are blue label 9.2's with OW/W pgs cloud9.gif

1087219498802_GL_s.jpg

1087328009476_GL_s_001.jpg

1086386630114_GL_s_002.jpg

One of the best Silver Age DC titles - I myself collect Green Lantern and have most in HG (but not many in 9.2 or better!). Well conserved, BB!

how do you define HG?

One of the best Silver Age DC titles - I myself collect Green Lantern and have most in HG (but not many in 9.2 or better!). Well conserved, BB!

how do you define HG?

VF+ and above. Agreed, VF+ ain't what it used to be, especially for post ' 65 books. For most of my Marvel collection the minimum grade would be VF/NM to NM -, and I do have a fair few NMs in those runs, with a few NM pre- '65 books in each run.

I should stress that the VF+s that I have would have decent QP and eye appeal - I generally don't bother with upgrades if I'm happy with the book.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Wonderful. A dream for the rest of us - not only are you old enough to have bought the stuff off the rack, but you managed to keep it in phenomenally high grade too! You make these boards worthwhile and my hat is off to you. thumbsup2.gif

how do you define HG?

VF+ and above. Agreed, VF+ ain't what it used to be, especially for post ' 65 books. For most of my Marvel collection the minimum grade would be VF/NM to NM -, and I do have a fair few NMs in those runs, with a few NM pre- '65 books in each run.

I should stress that the VF+s that I have would have decent QP and eye appeal - I generally don't bother with upgrades if I'm happy with the book.

In some respects I can't help thinking that it's all got silly. I collect high grade slabs, but my 'reading' issues are lower. I have books that I bought as anywhere from VF to NM back in the day, that with the benefit of modern technology would probably grade around FN to VF nowadays. The truth is, that I'm very happy with them and most of the back issues I buy nowadays are closer to VG.

I look at 9.6 graded slabs, searching for Christ know's what in the way of 'flaws'. These are books that I can't even touch without damaging them and which seem to have been graded with an electron microscope. I sometimes get very confused by the whole thing.

Beyonder's Hulk 181 thread is only the tip of the iceberg. His 8.5, or whatever it is, looks quite pretty. It doesn't look as pretty as the 9.8, but how many people on these boards really appreciated this fact a few years back. I see a lot of forumites, myself included, making statements like "I couldn't grade prior to nineteen ninety-something, but CGC has shown me the way".

There are so many books with good eye appeal in the Fine range and maybe we should all be happy with them. That's not to knock anybody else, particularly someone like Burntboy who has done things with his 60's purchases (when he was 8? 10? 12? 14?) that I couldn't do with my 70's purchases (when I was 10-16).

Beautiful thumbsup2.gif

Did you collect any other DC's, Teen Titans etc.

i stopped as 1965 dawned, so i didn't collect teen titans except for the first appearance in B&B #54.

my DC collection consists of Adventure, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, B&B, Showcase, Aquaman, Metal Men, Sea Devils, Challengers, Atom, Hawkman, Mystery In Space, My Greatest Adventure, Strange Adventures, Star Spangled War Stories and, of course, Justice League of America. cloud9.gif

Beautiful thumbsup2.gif

Did you collect any other DC's, Teen Titans etc.

i stopped as 1965 dawned, so i didn't collect teen titans except for the first appearance in B&B #54.

my DC collection consists of Adventure, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, B&B, Showcase, Aquaman, Metal Men, Sea Devils, Challengers, Atom, Hawkman, Mystery In Space, My Greatest Adventure, Strange Adventures, Star Spangled War Stories and, of course, Justice League of America. cloud9.gif

Would love to see some scans of your other DC's. you have some real pretty books. Strange Adventures, Start Spangled War ... cloud9.gif

BB, beautiful books, congratulations on the great grades that you got back. These are TOUGH books to find in 9.2 and above. GL is one of the coolest DC titles, and so very hard to find in high grade. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Holy [!@#%^&^]! I go out of town for a while and return to find this. Those are some sweet GL books.

cloud9.gif

thanks Lantern - i have some more - just hope they do close to these. as is par for the course, the earlier books in my run don't quite measure up to these frown.gif

GL #11 is my favorite of the early GL Corps/Sinestro storylines. cloud9.gif

Though I first saw most of these stories as reprints, it's always seemed that GL was unique among DC heroes, with the slowly-revealed mysterious backstory of the Guardians of the Universe. With most other DC Silver Age characters, you know everything about their origin after the first issue.