• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

Hey guys.

Thanks for the props on the books. I eyed these books hard before submitting and felt confident in 9.8, but was very pleased with the 9.9 grades.

And just to be clear, these were not pressed (and no magic was used either - I'm still saving the magic for Christmas).

Ryan

Should've pressed. Could've gotten a 10.2! :whee:

First: Welcome to the Boards!

Second: You may very well be right, assuming that by 'danger,' you mean from a $$$/investment/whatever perspective.

Third: I honestly don't care how much the book sells for on the aftermarket. I just enjoy the story & art and hope the book has 'legs' in regard to telling a consistently good story in a timely fashion.

First, thanks - my previous first post was wiped out when the thread was cut, but its probably better its gone. Though my CNBC analogy was epic and very true.

Second, yes I mean to people backing up the truck.

Third, kudos to that. I think it has a greater writer, and its a good story, and its on my pull list. But I am likely only going to hold one slabbed CBLDF long term. I dont like the fact that 1st prints raw have stalled, and 9.8s have fallen.

variants and multiple prints cant hold a book long term, if interest in the first print isnt strong, imo.

Friday used to be my favorite day of the week. Now... :sorry:

Hey guys.

Thanks for the props on the books. I eyed these books hard before submitting and felt confident in 9.8, but was very pleased with the 9.9 grades.

And just to be clear, these were not pressed (and no magic was used either - I'm still saving the magic for Christmas).

Ryan

well done

+ 9.9! Congrats! (thumbs u

Friday used to be my favorite day of the week. Now... :sorry:

lol

I am still trying to understand why having a rational discussion about what is or isnt happening to a book's price is either

anger inducing

or sadness inducing

talking about something can neither change nor create. Whatever is, IS. Pretending its something else, or hiding from it is just silliness.

All that being said, the 3rd printing news does seem to be giving it another shove to try and break and hold $10. I think as long as the new ones keep selling out it, it will continue to power along.

But should it not be bounded at the upper end by Thief of Thieves, Peter Panzerfaust, etc, where the dream of the "next walking dead" is more reasonable on the back of possible shows.

Someone posted here saying the revival prices were un-warranted and all chaos breaks out, and the thread ends up being cut/mod'd. Is that with this forum is then? an ebay boosting site? Power Lunch on CNBC, where you arent allowed to talk about something falling, heaven forbid, lest you CAUSE it to happen.

Or, can people have a civil discussion on here about what is or isnt happening in the market to a given book. I have horses in the race, I havent sent them to be pressed subbed yet, cause I am waiting on a few other arrivals to send with them.

I'm not super keen on what I am seeing in the raw #1 1st print market, or the 9.8 slabbed category. Those 9.9s will sell gang-busters though. And my 500 print run variants are selling raw for more than I paid, so cant really lose slabbing those.

Edited by eisley

First: Welcome to the Boards!

Second: You may very well be right, assuming that by 'danger,' you mean from a $$$/investment/whatever perspective.

Third: I honestly don't care how much the book sells for on the aftermarket. I just enjoy the story & art and hope the book has 'legs' in regard to telling a consistently good story in a timely fashion.

First, thanks - my previous first post was wiped out when the thread was cut, but its probably better its gone. Though my CNBC analogy was epic and very true.

I thought the CNBC comment was accurate.

For the vast majority of books, the defect(s) that keep them at 9.8 can't be pressed out - it's ridiculous to assume that these are 9.9s due to pressing.

Agree about pressable defects.

I thought the CNBC comment was accurate.

:D:D

thank you, good to know some people got to see it before it was removed.

:grin:

Love watching the ticker on CNBC as someone touts a stock, or as Jim Cramer outlines a spec pick.

Hey guys.

Ryan

For the record, Ryan, my wink meant "great score...so GIVE them to me". (thumbs u

Plus I was quoting, Friday. Not that anyone here has seen that movie anyway.

Edited by FIREFLY

The CGC 9.8s are just following the usual trend. The first one sells for a stupid price and then they gradually fall off as the majority of the supply hits the open market. They'll stabalize at a certain price point (I'm thinking around $70) and hang there until the book either heats up or dies off.

After the first few 'gotta have it' collectors blow their wads, the majority realize that almost every copy is a potential 9.8 and $10 for the book + $25 for grading does not equal $100+.

If the story stays strong, the book should inch upward. If the story falls off, the book will die.

The CGC 9.8s are just following the usual trend. The first one sells for a stupid price and then they gradually fall off as the majority of the supply hits the open market. They'll stabalize at a certain price point (I'm thinking around $70) and hang there until the book either heats up or dies off.

After the first few 'gotta have it' collectors blow their wads, the majority realize that almost every copy is a potential 9.8 and $10 for the book + $25 for grading does not equal $100+.

If the story stays strong, the book should inch upward. If the story falls off, the book will die.

+1

Hey guys.

Ryan

For the record, Ryan, my wink meant "great score...so GIVE them to me". (thumbs u

Plus I was quoting, Friday. Not that anyone here has seen that movie anyway.

i've always considered that there's a premium to buy something already graded without having to wait 3 weeks to do it yourself.

+1

especially if its SS. My wage per hour multiplied by the time to get an SS signed and slabbed, and the possibility it doesnt come back 9.8 = easily worth it to pay someone else to do. Especially on books that have fallen out of favor, or cooled off, and are less than $100, or closer to $50 than $100....that's profit for them, and profit for me.

Edited by eisley