• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

I will ship to Canada, but I require Priority Mail or EMS if over $250.

A lot of Canadian buyers on ebay seem to have an issue paying $30-$50 shipping, but I've had too many problems to risk sending anything of value internationally without tracking (or a signature if over that $250 paypal cut off). Sending anything by airmail (which gives you the LC customs form and the endless wait for your funds, bagel) is just asking to have the item jacked up in customs, lost by either postal service or stolen by your buyer. All the buyer has to do is claim that it never showed and you're SOL.

I've had a lot of great transactions with Canadian buyers, but I've also had a lot of disappointed ones who obviously didn't want to pay crazy shipping costs on an item under $50.

I can't see the details cause apparently you can only go back 60 days on your sold items (seriously?), but anyway, I remember gettin an 'L' tracking number which I chalked it up to being shipping out of the country, I'm trying my hardest to remember, but I don't know if I chose Priority, or the one below that. It was a KidRobot 8' Dunny, so it was in a box, not too big at all.

The estimated delivery time it gave was 25 days, I thought that was absurd, I'm in Florida, but Canada isn't all that far away. Yes, its on the opposite side of the country, but I've shipped things to the tip of North America and it's got there in just a couple of days. Heck, that same week I shipped another Dunny to a guy in Hawaii and he received it in like 4 days using Priority. That's way farther away than to Canada. Perhaps it got held up in customs, who knows, but sure enough, the estimated time was right on point. And again, it wouldn't track anything after it left the US, therefore it went by the estimated time, rather than actual delivery date.

All in all it was just a really crappy experience that left a horrible taste in my mouth, more for eBay/Paypal, not Canada :)

However because of that, I won't ship to Canada anymore if selling something on eBay. Here on the boards? Sure I will.

Well, I live here, and buy stuff on Ebay all the time from the US(90%+ of my purchases), and I have never waited 25 days for anything. My average shipping cost for lots or CGC books would be in the $12-$15 range and the cost for a raw book can be as low as 3-4 dollars.

If its like 50 books, then yes, maybe $35 or more dollars to ship.

There's about a dozen flat rate options as well:

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

The only horror stories for Shipping to Canada were back when UPS was the main source of shipping on ebay. UPS adds a made up "brokerage" fee when things cross the border, regardless of the item being used, or even valueless.

Any company or user who ships UPS is an automatic deal breaker as far as I am concerned. Their brokerage fees can be higher than the item+shipping to begin with.

USPS to Canada is blazing fast, no fees, and I have never had a problem yet. The item I posted with tracking right to my door was $12 dollars shipping, CGC 9.6 ToT #1. Arrived 6 days after the purchase, 5 days after it reached the sorting facility in IL.

I will ship to Canada, but I require Priority Mail or EMS if over $250.

A lot of Canadian buyers on ebay seem to have an issue paying $30-$50 shipping, but I've had too many problems to risk sending anything of value internationally without tracking (or a signature if over that $250 paypal cut off). Sending anything by airmail (which gives you the LC customs form and the endless wait for your funds, bagel) is just asking to have the item jacked up in customs, lost by either postal service or stolen by your buyer. All the buyer has to do is claim that it never showed and you're SOL.

I've had a lot of great transactions with Canadian buyers, but I've also had a lot of disappointed ones who obviously didn't want to pay crazy shipping costs on an item under $50.

Everything I get is usually Priority Mail, and its nowhere close to $30 on a single book. Express Mail is what will murder you with cost, but its not needed. Maybe if it was a $500+ book, than yah, at that point it doesnt matter.

I bought a CGC 8.5 X-Men 94 back in June, and it was sent Priority just fine.

You're right - it's not quite $30, but it's not cheap either.

A standard 1lb box to Canada is $23.25. A slabbed book usually ends up weighing close to 2lbs for me though, by the time I pack it properly. At that point it costs $25.80, which is starting to get a bit pricey.

A standard 1lb box to Canada is $23.25. A slabbed book usually ends up weighing close to 2lbs for me though, by the time I pack it properly. At that point it costs $25.80, which is starting to get a bit pricey.

The one I posted was a very well packaged slabbed 9.6 ToT #1, and it was $19 shipping (though I am sure he added handling).

I also got a PGX 9.8 ToT, amazingly packaged with extra cardboard and Styrofoam packing 'peanuts', and it was $12 shipping. A lot of it depends on where you are in the country.

If it's under 3lbs, and you don't need tracking, you can send it via first class air mail, which is substantially cheaper than priority mail.

Sadly, on today's 'seller beware' eBay, you need tracking.

If it's under 3lbs, and you don't need tracking, you can send it via first class air mail, which is substantially cheaper than priority mail.

Sadly, on today's 'seller beware' eBay, you need tracking.

I track every item. It's not worth it to "lose" it in the mail.

Ryan

shipping to canada WITH tracking is pricey and I would not sell anything on ebay without it personally.

its a thieves paradise if you don't ship with tracking and a lot of buyers are too naive (*at least has been my experience with lower priced items) to understand why the huge shipping cost for the items and a lot of times - ends up getting taken out on the seller even if the person agreed to the higher shipping cost.

I always offer to ship internationally for buyers if they mail me to ask - however I have never had a person yet be ok with paying for priority mail service internationally or first class international + registered mail ($11 tack on fee) granted I usually point out that for the low cost items we typically sell (rarely anything over $50) it doesn't make sense to pay $20-30 shipping on them.

if we sold much higher priced items regularly ($250+) I imagine a lot of perspective buyers might not care as much and be ok with the higher fees for shipping - anyone who buys and sells regularly to other countries typically knows what to expect costwise.

- that is my reason for only offering US shipping on my listings - I've never just shot someone down who mails to inquire about international shipping - and would actually ship international it just becomes a pain having to explain the costs/why they are what they are each and every time (especially on $5-20 items) - so its easier to say no up front and if anyone mails to inquire work with them from there

/rambling

Edited by riveraXVX

The guy that only charged you 12 dollars shipping... He ate the rest of it... Guaranteed... I can attest shipping to Canada is pricy...

Nope. First Class for a small box can be as low as $8. Of course, as I said above, untracked and not your best option.

Also, someone is going to spend $30 on 15 minutes of entertainment. That sounds like entertainment of the adult kind to me.

I agree with this, it is a problem for moderns across the board. Even $4 for more like 7 minutes is a bit steep as entertainment goes.

It's more than that where I work.

The one I posted was a very well packaged slabbed 9.6 ToT #1, and it was $19 shipping (though I am sure he added handling).

I also got a PGX 9.8 ToT, amazingly packaged with extra cardboard and Styrofoam packing 'peanuts', and it was $12 shipping. A lot of it depends on where you are in the country.

Those sellers didn't have tracking and took a big risk if it was an ebay transaction. I'd hook a boardie up with cheaper shipping but no way would I do that on ebay.

For priority with tracking, the prices I quoted are the prices. Go to USPS.com and use the international shipping calculator if you don't believe me.

Edited by Solar

shipping to canada WITH tracking is pricey and I would not sell anything on ebay without it personally.

its a thieves paradise if you don't ship with tracking and a lot of buyers are too naive (*at least has been my experience with lower priced items) to understand why the huge shipping cost for the items and a lot of times - ends up getting taken out on the seller even if the person agreed to the higher shipping cost.

I always offer to ship internationally for buyers if they mail me to ask - however I have never had a person yet be ok with paying for priority mail service internationally or first class international + registered mail ($11 tack on fee) granted I usually point out that for the low cost items we typically sell (rarely anything over $50) it doesn't make sense to pay $20-30 shipping on them.

if we sold much higher priced items regularly ($250+) I imagine a lot of perspective buyers might not care as much and be ok with the higher fees for shipping - anyone who buys and sells regularly to other countries typically knows what to expect costwise.

- that is my reason for only offering US shipping on my listings - I've never just shot someone down who mails to inquire about international shipping - and would actually ship international it just becomes a pain having to explain the costs/why they are what they are each and every time (especially on $5-20 items) - so its easier to say no up front and if anyone mails to inquire work with them from there

/rambling

This is 100% correct. I leave my items open to international buyers, but like you said, a lot of them don't understand why the shipping prices are so damn high.

Edited by Solar