• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

not sold on getting 2nd printings graded....at this time....

Problem is until you do there are only 2 graded for everyone to buy. All the shops round my way are sold out and so are most online retailers so I for one will find a copy worth grading (shrug) In fact I could easily go and buy a few first prints tomorrow but not 2nd prints.

You may be right but it's not a lot of peoples experience.

Problem is until you do there are only 2 graded for everyone to buy. All the shops round my way are sold out and so are most online retailers so I for one will find a copy worth grading (shrug) In fact I could easily go and buy a few first prints tomorrow but not 2nd prints.

You're not talking about a 1st print, though, you're talking about a 2nd print - which in the vast majority of cases will never be worth slabbing.

Chew is blazingly hot right with 1st print #1s in 9.8 selling for $500-600. And what are the last couple of sales of 2nd print CGC 9.8s? $66 and $34, respectively.

2nd print Thief of Thieves #1 in 9.8? $50.

2nd print Saga #1 in 9.8? $50.

With fast-tracking fees, ebay & paypal fees, you're looking at about $5 in profit - and that's only if the book actually hits a 9.8.

People keep talking about the low print runs and perceived scarcity in grade of later printings of issue #1s - what they fail to mention is that it doesn't matter how low the print run is, 99.99% of the people who collect the book will not be interested in paying anything above cover price for a reprint.

You're not talking about a 1st print, though, you're talking about a 2nd print - which in the vast majority of cases will never be worth slabbing.

Chew is blazingly hot right with 1st print #1s in 9.8 selling for $500-600. And what are the last couple of sales of 2nd print CGC 9.8s? $66 and $34, respectively.

With fast-tracking fees, ebay & paypal fees, you're looking at about $5 in profit - and that's only if the book actually hits a 9.8.

People keep talking about the low print runs and perceived scarcity in grade of later printings of issue #1s - what they fail to mention is that it doesn't matter how low the print run is, 99.99% of the people who collect the book will not be interested in paying anything above cover price for a reprint.

Smart man, smart post, and absolutely true.

Unless you hold it for 25 years and wait until the OCD collectors demand all iterations in 9.8. :ohnoez:

..wouldn't you think that their printing machines would actually have a warning signal that the ink was running low so they can change ink? It's pretty neat to have both variations. I actually like it

Someone commented that the printing machine does not run low on ink, but the guy mixing the colors must have been running low on one tone or another and the blend going into the printer was different between the start and finish.

Unless you hold it for 25 years and wait until the OCD collectors demand all iterations in 9.8. :ohnoez:

lol, i think thats why he left in the 0.01% ;) But will it be yours they buy or someone else's? seller->buyer ratio wouldnt be so strong at that point. Though maybe, if really no one bothered to slab it.

But I wasn't commenting on value? I was commenting on this statement...

not to burst the 2nd printing bubble about rarity of condition, but i have 10 that would easily get a 9.8.....

I'm not saying the book is worth loads etc etc... I was saying that until people can readily get the book in high grade, or see loads on the Census, then the perception will always be that it is rare or at least rare in high grade (shrug)

Again I am not saying it will be worth loads in the future, I mentioned nothing about cost, but at the moment it is the one of the hardest revivals to buy, especially in high grade.

Why is it that every modern discussion boils down to value :facepalm:

not to burst the 2nd printing bubble about rarity of condition, but i have 10 that would easily get a 9.8.....

I'm not saying the book is worth loads etc etc... I was saying that until people can readily get the book in high grade, or see loads on the Census, then the perception will always be that it is rare or at least rare in high grade (shrug)

Again I am not saying it will be worth loads in the future, I mentioned nothing about cost, but at the moment it is the one of the hardest revivals to buy, especially in high grade.

You said:

"Problem is until you do there are only 2 graded for everyone to buy."

So how is value not relevant to this discussion?

A low number of copies in the CGC census doesn't automatically mean the book is rare or hard to find in high grade - a much more likely explanation is that this particular book isn't worth slabbing. If you offered krighton $200 for a 9.8 copy of this book, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to send off one of his copies for grading.

If you can't find copies of this book, I'd suggest looking at eBay - there seems to be about 10 BIN auctions right now :shrug:

You said:

A low number of copies in the CGC census doesn't automatically mean the book is rare or hard to find in high grade - a much more likely explanation is that this particular book isn't worth slabbing. If you offered krighton $200 for a 9.8 copy of this book, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to send off one of his copies for grading.

If you can't find copies of this book, I'd suggest looking at eBay - there seems to be about 10 BIN auctions right now :shrug:

But When I said.... You know what it's late here in the UK and I'm off to bed... Whatever I say you'll just tell me i mean something I don't and I'm to tired to try and explain that I don't.

You said:

But When I said.... You know what it's late here in the UK and I'm off to bed... Whatever I say you'll just tell me i mean something I don't and I'm to tired to try and explain that I don't.

I think the main point is that it, especially in the case of a modern 2nd print Census info, the lack of copies submitted doesn't mean it's hard to find in 9.8 or it's rare.

It more than likely means no one's bothering to submit it because it's not worth the cost.

You said:

I think the main point is that it, especially in the case of a modern 2nd print Census info, the lack of copies submitted doesn't mean it's hard to find in 9.8 or it's rare.

It more than likely means no one's bothering to submit it because it's not worth the cost.

I really must go to bed, I need to be up in 5 hours for work :eek:

I get that, but lots of people are saying that they find the book hard to find, and thats my experience too. Ebay seems to be the only place and it's a lottery regards condition. I was simply commenting that at the moment lots of people are finding it hard to come by, especially in high grade, there is a low number in the census and simply saying I have ten is not enough to make those who can't find a 9.8 happy that there is loads out there. I never said anything about cost. I could just as easily buy something for 10p as I could £100, saying I want to buy something has no assumption that I expect it to be expensive and anyway I have 2 raw copies and 9.8 slab, so....

You said:

I really must go to bed, I need to be up in 5 hours for work :eek:

I get that, but lots of people are saying that they find the book hard to find, and thats my experience too. Ebay seems to be the only place and it's a lottery regards condition. I was simply commenting that at the moment lots of people are finding it hard to come by, especially in high grade, there is a low number in the census and simply saying I have ten is not enough to make those who can't find a 9.8 happy that there is loads out there. I never said anything about cost. I could just as easily buy something for 10p as I could £100, saying I want to buy something has no assumption that I expect it to be expensive and anyway I have 2 raw copies and 9.8 slab, so....

What you have to realize, though, is that a couple of people in this thread complaining about a certain 2nd print not being available at their LCS or that whatever copies they found weren't 9.8 raws means absolutely nothing in terms of rarity or scarcity in grade.

And neither does low CGC census numbers, for that matter.

You can't just pretend that value isn't a factor in the equation because, for modern books in particular, it is very much an integral part of the puzzle - if you create a WTB thread offering $200 for multiple copies of this book in 9.8, I can guarantee you that copies will come out of the woodwork which is a sure sign that this book isn't rare to begin with :shrug:

Ok, so is it just me, or does anyone else find themselves needing to re-read the previous issue before the latest one to remember what you read a month ago? If not I have a horrible memory I guess. I honestly couldn't tell you what happen in issue #2 other than a few select moments.

And even in those few moments I can't 100% say with accuracy which character was involved.

Edited by roastedbagel