• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Revival

8,375 posts in this topic

i agree sean, if the sale was made public on the board, then public discussion on the board is to be expected. Also, whenever a new high price is set on any book, people will discuss it. Also, any time the top book on the registry for a series changes hands, people will discuss it.

Someone had to be bidding against hulk though on the 9.9's that were on eBay so there was at least one other person out there willing to pay upwards of $900 to get the 9.9's.
logic.

Not really. Have you ever put in a bid you thought was ridiculous just to get that one comic? Ever been burned doing it? that set a price which held for 2 more auctions. Don't discount the hate bidders either. Of course this is just theory but logic dictates a new buyer entered the market and prices doubled. Is the market that fragile?

No question one buyer drove market up high in this case. But at the time of the auctions, I don't think anyone knew that it was the same one person buying up all the 9.9's. At least I didn't know.

Look at what happened on that walking dead 35 error 9.8 on mycomicshop couple months ago that we thought sold for $4000. Someone entered a mistake bid, yes, but the other buyer didn't know that and had to actually bid him up to $4000 before giving up. Real sales price was like $1400 or something but another one sold couple weeks ago on eBay for $2300 or something like that.

Someone had to be bidding against hulk though on the 9.9's that were on eBay so there was at least one other person out there willing to pay upwards of $900 to get the 9.9's.
logic.

Not really. Have you ever put in a bid you thought was ridiculous just to get that one comic? Ever been burned doing it? that set a price which held for 2 more auctions. Don't discount the hate bidders either. Of course this is just theory but logic dictates a new buyer entered the market and prices doubled. Is the market that fragile?

No question one buyer drove market up high in this case. But at the time of the auctions, I don't think anyone knew that it was the same one person buying up all the 9.9's. At least I didn't know.

Look at what happened on that walking dead 35 error 9.8 on mycomicshop couple months ago that we thought sold for $4000. Someone entered a mistake bid, yes, but the other buyer didn't know that and had to actually bid him up to $4000 before giving up. Real sales price was like $1400 or something but another one sold couple weeks ago on eBay for $2300 or something like that.

People much more knowledgable than us troll bidders on eBay apparently. I recently had a WD sale and the vast majority of issues sold for $255. It appears the under bidder discovered the high bidders max and just bid every issue to that point.

I like your WD example. And I look at it more as proving my point. We don't know if the 2nd buyer became aware of the 1st sale not going through. He may believe he got a deal. These things ebb and flow all the time. The 1st $900 9.9 set a new bar and any under bidders with any sort of ego tried to play ball on following auctions. I see it all the time with my auctions.

People much more knowledgable than us troll bidders on eBay apparently. I recently had a WD sale and the vast majority of issues sold for $255. It appears the under bidder discovered the high bidders max and just bid every issue to that point.

lol

I have done that more than once to people. Usually if its something i want, but dont want to go all in for. I will do it just to make sure the other guy doesnt get any "deals".

Used to do it a lot on x-men auctions

Edited by CBT

Someone paid $7500 for a Gem Mint 10 Revival #1 SS double signed, and it basically went exactly the way the $12,500 sale of 9.9 NM 98 went - People talking about the investment side, the buyer stating that he has plenty of bread and it was something he wanted. In this case, the Seller pitched his 2c in as well, which I think eventually happened with the NM, as well.

In my opinion, everyone should be able to give their opinion on all aspects of the deal. As long as there are no insults or ad hominem attacks, it really should all be fair game.

In case anyone wonders, I think it is cuckoo for cocoa puffs to pay that price for that book, but both the buyer and seller seem really happy. So it has brought joy and happiness in the world, it can't be all bad, can it?

I thought some took a big, big mess in the thread and people were going nutz because of it. lol

Out of interest, how many points does a 10 get you on the registry?

It doesn't look like the set is up yet, but I am going to guess 150.

Nope it's not set up yet... Waiting on it and Bedlam.

I will do it just to make sure the other guy doesnt get any "deals".

:o

I KNEW something fishy was going on when I was trying to complete my x-men run

:baiting:

I will do it just to make sure the other guy doesnt get any "deals".

:o

I KNEW something fishy was going on when I was trying to complete my x-men run

:baiting:

lol, NO DEAL FOR YOU!

but in seriousness, this was more than a couple years ago. If you were building it in the 05-08 era, then I apologize.

In general I agree with Nexus - I would buy OA over a slab 11 times out of 10 from the same book if prices were relatively close. I think, as was mentioned, that the pool of slab collectors is greater and slabs are seen as a more liquid asset than a typical OA page. As much as we all love the comic media 1st, finances have to be a consideration.