• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting ahold of Kwan Chang

46 posts in this topic

What is his average response time? This is the same thing I hate about Artist's choice and why I never purchase anything from Spencer. I love the artist's he represents, but his ordering system is horrible. Sites like Splash Page, Albert Moy, and Fan Fare are a pleasure to deal with because they have a cart system to purchase items. I want to know if the art I wish to purchase is already taken so I can quickly move on to the next hunt. You have no idea how many times Spencer and his horrible system me over from other art I could have purchased while waiting, and then slipped through my fingers. I hope this won't be the case with Kwan...........

Kwan is usually back in 24 hours. Could be something is up or he is out of town at the moment though. He is totally on he up and up and normally quick to respond in my experience. Known Kwan for jeeeze, gotta be getting close to at least 15 years at now. He is good people.

What is his average response time? This is the same thing I hate about Artist's choice and why I never purchase anything from Spencer. I love the artist's he represents, but his ordering system is horrible. Sites like Splash Page, Albert Moy, and Fan Fare are a pleasure to deal with because they have a cart system to purchase items. I want to know if the art I wish to purchase is already taken so I can quickly move on to the next hunt. You have no idea how many times Spencer and his horrible system me over from other art I could have purchased while waiting, and then slipped through my fingers. I hope this won't be the case with Kwan...........

So you are comparing a site with 50,000 pages like Spencer's who does it all himself with all those other sites that, combined, have about 5% of that? That seems logical. lol

You probably won't have that problem with a dealer or rep that only has 500-1000 pieces on the site at any given time.

Spencer doesn't make you wait more than a day or two to get a confirmation if it's not during his annual sale. And if you are talking about waiting during Spencer's annual sale then you waited to get 50% off your artwork which no other rep. I know of does on an annual basis. The gigantic discount more than makes up for the wait with me.

The guy's top shelf all the way. You never have to worry about him not keeping his word. He's helped more people in this hobby, to find artwork, to get commission that are outstanding that he had nothing to do with. If he's got an inventory system you don't like perhaps look at what you get in return.

For an honest guy with a sterling business reputation, who's the first one to offer help to collectors having a problem with an artist, he deserves a hell of a lot more respect than to be publicly bashed simply because he can't match the speed of your minimal attention span. Uncool.

It's far from a matter of attention span, it is the law of economics. Supply and demand. There are few good pages in a book and 90% are talking heads. The pages I want go quickly and Spencer never gets back in a day. Try 2 weeks in July.... Maybe he should hire more people and raise prices a little. I know many people from my local area who refuse to purchase from him online due to this reason. Now don't get me wrong, he is great to purchase from at conventions and is a pleasure there.

It's far from a matter of attention span, it is the law of economics. Supply and demand. There are few good pages in a book and 90% are talking heads. The pages I want go quickly and Spencer never gets back in a day. Try 2 weeks in July.... Maybe he should hire more people and raise prices a little. I know many people from my local area who refuse to purchase from him online due to this reason. Now don't get me wrong, he is great to purchase from at conventions and is a pleasure there.

What pages did you order, by which artist, that he took 2 weeks to get back to you on?

Did you email and ask him about the delay?

I think that's the disconnect. He's not a dealer, he's a rep. Dealer's own all their artwork and have it on hand. Reps may not. If the rep represents a lot of artists he is bound to have many that don't keep their inventory in the reps hands. A lot of artists keep their inventory with them and not with their rep. That means the rep has to email them to see if the art is still available and get an answer before confirming your order. Stop comparing his response times to dealers who have all their inventory on hand, or reps that represent 5, 10 or 15 guys.

Sometimes it helps to not assume the same service will be possible across the board without allowance for scope and scale. I know a lot more folks from my local area that love the fact that the pages are available at a reasonable price and don't mind dealing with someone who's honest, fair, and careful with the packing and shipping of the artwork even if it means *gasp* waiting longer than the normal internet age expectation time.

It certainly doesn't help to take a dump on the guy on a public forum because he's not as fast getting back to you as a dealer with small fraction of the workload.

Look, I don't buy from Spencer and he don't sell to me. Long story, but disclosure for disclosure's sake. (He DOES NOT have a sterling reputation. Good but far from sterling.)

A simple email would solve this guy's problems above. "I got your request, we will get back to you ASAP with the availability." It could even be automated. It is simple customer service, which is where Spencer and I found our disagreement so I sympathize.

If everybody would slow down and relax this stuff wouldn't be an issue.

Wow!!

I've had many dealings with Spencer. I think he's very good at what he does. Remember that Spencer does this after his day job.

Also Spencer has a very dead pan sense of Humor. Some people might take it the wrong way.

Now back to Kwan. He's been very professional in all my dealings with him over the years. Very stand up guy.

Mike

Wow!!

Also Spencer has a very dead pan sense of Humor. Some people might take it the wrong way.

Yes he can also plainfully insult you !!! some people might take it badly ...like myself !

Kwan I never had any issue with, remember dealing on ebay and never had to complain, quite on the contrary I was very happy with my deals !!!

Wow!!

Yes he can also plainfully insult you !!! some people might take it badly ...like myself !

!!!

Do you really want to bring that up?

Do you really think you didn't do that and worse?

If I were you I wouldn't crack open the past just to try and take a cheap shot that's out of context and, conveniently, forgets me mention what you might have done that was less than respectful. Someone might call you on it.

Look, I don't buy from Spencer and he don't sell to me. Long story, but disclosure for disclosure's sake. (He DOES NOT have a sterling reputation. Good but far from sterling.)

Maybe that's the disconnect. Spencer has a sterling reputation for being honest, for keeping promises, for stepping in to help in transactions where he has no responsibility, for delivering on every deal, for assisting collectors and creators for decades without fail.

Those are the aspects of a sterling reputation that matter to his clients and most of his customers.

Some people may prefer a snazzy website, or a reply that's fast enough to sate their expectations of instant gratification, but I'll take being able to rely 100% on the person I am dealing with even if it takes a few extra days.

A simple email would solve this guy's problems above. "I got your request, we will get back to you ASAP with the availability." It could even be automated. It is simple customer service, which is where Spencer and I found our disagreement so I sympathize.

Sounds like lots of people need to take that advice.

Maybe that's the disconnect. Spencer has a sterling reputation for being honest, for keeping promises, for stepping in to help in transactions where he has no responsibility, for delivering on every deal, for assisting collectors and creators for decades without fail.

Those are the aspects of a sterling reputation that matter to his clients and most of his customers.

Some people may prefer a snazzy website, or a reply that's fast enough to sate their expectations of instant gratification, but I'll take being able to rely 100% on the person I am dealing with even if it takes a few extra days.

Sounds like lots of people need to take that advice.

I don't even need a snazzy website. Just update the Site more than once a month so I know what is available and don't waist his time and mine.

Seems to me we don't live in the same reality !

No problemo pal I'll keep my mouth shut and won't argue with you .....that certainly will feel more convenient to you !

Hey, if you sending threatening emails to people that had nothing to do with your transactions and then being shocked that they don't want to help you is what you call them being difficult then we are in the same reality.

It's much more convenient for you to state that Spencer insulted you and not get into what you said to him or what you threatened to do, I agree.

So YOU want to bring that up ??!!

You wanna fight with me ??!!!!!

PLEASE repost every word I used

PLEASE call me on like you said

PLEASE call me a LIAR and everything you have in mind

Did I threaten someone to expose him everywhere ?? OH YES

Did I threaten to harm someone physically ?? OH NO

Did I speak the bottom of my mind when addressing to the one I thought could have helped me ? OH YES

WAS it a mistake ?? OH YES

Did I get much help from you or the BIG boardies out there ?? well nope ...

Did I get support from many people who actually understood the situation better than you did ?? well fortunatly for my own sanity YES !!!

AM I GUILTY or a VICTIM ???? you tell me !

Do I care ??.?? NOT anymore ...........................

Kind regards nonetheless ;)

Did I speak the bottom of my mind when addressing to the one I thought could have helped me ? OH YES

Did I get support from many people who actually understood the situation better than you did ?? well fortunatly for my own sanity YES !!!

Your use of caps and madcap posting style belies your claims of being the calm, reluctant victim.

And I am not the one bringing anything up. You can thank yourself for dredging this up.

YOU stuck your nose into a thread about Kwan and decided to post about Spencer in a manner than omitted more than a few material details about your interaction with him in order to best suit your need to paint yourself and someone who did nothing wrong and was nothing but respectful in your interactions with Spencer. Is that how you were?

Expressing a desire to punch someone much mean something different in translation I guess.

The "BIG Collectors" had nothing to do with your commission difficulties, and plenty of us have the same difficulties with other artists. Most people are smart enough, mature enough, and appreciative enough to understand that someone like Spencer, who had nothing to do with the commission you set up, would have been helping voluntarily and out of a desire to help.

Do you think you are the only person who had a late commission from an artist? Do you think you are the only person to have a commission that was late from Joe? Most people who commission artists can tell a tale as bad as yours or much much worse. It's in how you choose to handle the situation and how you choose to treat the people who weren't involved with the commission, but might be able to help, that determines where the fault lies.

Coming down on Spencer in a threatening tone from the first email is not how you treat someone you are asking for help and who didn't do anything wrong.

After that display, are you really questioning why people who witnessed it weren't running to help you out?

And here you are again, bringing up what happened to you with those Rose colored glasses as if you were calm and cool and respectful and Spencer jumped on your like a honey badger on a snake.

You are going to get called out on that 10 times out of 10 by people who know better.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."