• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis/ComicConnect auction house missed restoration problem

51 posts in this topic

This thread is the pinnacle example as to why I love CGC. Their grading system is a bonus, but restoration detection is why CGC rocks :headbang:

Now there is no excuse to avoid this situation, if you are concerned about resto, buy a slabbed book and be done with it.

Jerome

There is also the idea of purposely buying a restored book. Last year Metropolis had a Golden Age book advertised with restoration that I simply fell head over heels for. I bought the raw copy knowing it was restored.

No surprises... I paid the restored price and I am happy simply to own it, tear seals and slight color touch and all.

Just my 2c. As a seller I am responsible for making certain what I sell is as I advertise it to be. If I miss a defect that substantially alters the grade/designation it is not the buyer fault, it falls back to me as the seller.

I do agree with Metropolis that the buyer is not entitled to a refund and to keep the book. If you want to return the book I will be happy to refund your purchase price, shipping and return shipping because I missed a defect that substantially altered the grade/designation of the book. I would ask for the documentation that the book was shipped off to cgc during my refund period in order to substantiate that the buyer did not ship the book out past the refund date. To be honest if I missed something big I would still be open to refunding the buyer even if it was reasonably beyond the refund date. If it was a year later that would be another issues since I doubt I'd even remember having the book lol

Ultimately, it comes down to customer service. If it is my companies error then it is my responsibility to suck it up, own it and make it right as best I can. If I am not willing to rebate the customer the slabbing and shipping fees incurred I would simply ask for photographs (that could be e-mailed) showing the book in the slab and it being cracked out which would then uphold the customers assertion it came back a purple label and have them ship it back to me raw.

My reputation is worth more to me than a few dollars.

Maybe we would have heard the additional details from the original poster if given the chance to elaborate. ComicConnect's response could have been more professional in my opinion as they obviously weren't the intended audience.

Maybe we would have heard the additional details from the original poster if given the chance to elaborate. ComicConnect's response could have been more professional in my opinion as they obviously weren't the intended audience.

I respectfully disagree..

It was curt but it was to the point driving the message home. I had a customer like this once on eBay. They claimed that they wanted a half refund and to keep the item. I disagreed with their assessment of my grading so I did the following. They were making up the problem.

I offered a FULL refund AND to pay for all shipping fees so it would not have cost them a single cent.

They responded that if I was willing to give a full refund that I should and they still wanted to keep the item. I said no and refused. They threatened negative feedback.

I took one for the team and took the negative. I will NOT be bullied. They then filed a claim....

I called paypal to get to eBay. (Hint - there is no direct line to eBay but if you call paypal and it is more of an eBay problem they will hook you up with a live person on the phone.)

End of the story...

They lost.

I have a sense that this customer (original poster) tried bullying Metropolis and Metropolis decided to take a stand. Good for them.

I agree Buzzeta.

Nobody deserves to get a full refund and to keep the comic in question.

If one isn't happy with the book they bought...return it. End of story.

I don't understand how anyone would think getting a refund and keeping the book is an option. hm

I agree Buzzeta.

Nobody deserves to get a full refund and to keep the comic in question.

If one isn't happy with the book they bought...return it. End of story.

I don't understand how anyone would think getting a refund and keeping the book is an option. hm

the only way it's an option is if the buyer says to do it

had that happen once, was told to keep the book and gave a full refund, left netural bc the shipping messed up the book

apperently me keeping the book was buying my postive feedback, that's when i sent it back bc i would not keep it if it ment giveing a postive with the bad shipping (lol i sent back the envelope to prove the bends in the book & envelope were the same and in turn cased by shipping and inadaquite packageing meterials)

I just wanted to add to this thread that I have purchased books for the last 10 years from Metropolis and they have been very good to deal with, particularly Rob Reynolds and Frank Cwiklik. (worship)

Years ago I purchased a raw book that came back PLOD, and they offered a full refund despite the passage of several years. They didn't have to do it, but they did, and I continue to give them my business.

I have had positive experiences with Metropolis too although I would stop short of worshiping my dealer.

I think there is a fair amount of overcharging. overselling and overgrading across the board. Only a small percentage of mistakes come full circle.

Or let's say there is information asymmetry to most deals they take full advantage of. An argument for being as informed a buyer as possible, which took me a while to learn.

information asymmetry

you sir have coined my new favorite phrase...

Yup. I like it a lot.