• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stuff of Legend/Mouse Guard Discussion

26 posts in this topic

I've been pondering this for a few years now, the Stuff of Legend/Mouse Guard Comparison. I thought both were quite good but personally enjoyed Stuff of Legend much much more. I have always wondered why Stuff of Legend does not have the following of that of MG and the value of the rarer MG books.

mouse guard has been around a lot longer. SOL mainly had east coast fans as that's where the books have been pushed the most. Charles has started to do more shows around the country which will only increase demand for the book.

I think the baltimore variant and the boogeyman vol 1 edition of SOL hold up nicely with pricing, but really can't compare to the low runs of MG comixpress.

I am a huge fan of both books and with CPG, they are my indie trifecta.

+1 on everything Pirate said.

Also, I think people compare them since both are non-standard comic book size. I feel MG is more of an all ages kid friendly book. SoL is more middle school and up.

Ok, here comes a rantrant

I worry about the Stuff of Legend. The last issue Jester's Tale #4 only had a print run of 2,717. :cry:

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2012/2012-01.html

Which is a terrible sin! It's one of the best comic books being produced and people aren't reading it. Easily in my top 3, and the artist Charles Paul Wilson III is hands down my favorite modern artist. The fact that people keep buying new carp trying to find something to flip or the next WD and skip out on actual great comics is a shame. 2,717 copies.... Really? If they ever get a movie deal or something this will be insane. Then it will get noticed and the same people who wouldn't even click on this thread will say, "how did I miss this!?!" I just hope they can continue to stay in business and make this great comic.

It's a great story with incredible art. The only problem I have with the SoL is that they can't go monthly. It takes them too long to make each great issue. That's it. The only problem I have is that I want more. But honestly, it's worth the wait. Not a single problem with the actual book. It's fun, action packed, mystery, suspense, it's what a great comic should be and it's only been 10 total issues. Seriously, if anyone reads this go out to your LCS and buy the trades and give it a shot. Don't wait, because of the 2,717 number do it now. It's only 3 trades so you can catch up and enjoy the fun too!

If you tried it before, it's time to give it another shot. The story gets better and there are more intriguing reveals. For those that don't know anything about it, it's a cross between Steven Speilberg's Saving Private Ryan and Pixar's Toy Story. A boy gets kidnapped by the Boogeyman, and his toys go on a rescue mission to save him in the Boogeyman's realm. When they enter the realm they cease being toys and transform. For example, the teddy bear becomes a giant grizzly bear, but the piggy bank becomes a simple pig. So all of them aren't warriors and strong. It's a story about their courage as underdogs bonding together for a common goal, while mysterys reveal themselves that all is not as straight forward as it seems.

I'll end this rantrant with a larger image of the page of OA I bought that's in my sig line. He puts this level of detail and effort into every page.

WallpaperJungle4pg20.jpg

:applause: 100% agree with you (thumbs u

I love both story's Mouse Guard & Stuff of Legend ! like you said not enough books come out for us to enjoy reading them :( my only dislike for both of them is the non-standard comic book size :mad: Love to own some Charles Paul Wilson III OA, before his prices go sky high on them soon !!! I think he's the best artest out there right now :sumo:

I'm torn on the non-standard size. It's obviously a turn off to people because it doesn't fit in their normal comic book boxes at home. The print run shows that. Sometimes I think changing the size could increase the number of new readers willing to give it a chance.

Personally, I like it. It makes the book unique. I simply store them in magazine size bags and in my CGC comic book box. They fit perfectly there. (thumbs u

I bought the first two Stuff Of Legend and thought it was just okay. I didn't continue with the series. I read the first Mouseguard series and thought it was absolutely fantastic, but too light on the dialogue. I don't buy the floppies but plan on picking up the trades when I get back to it.

The problem is the store ordering. We didn't get #3 or 4.

And I don't know what the excuse is. It sold out every time.

Hopefully I can find one at our show in a couple weeks.

Pat

I still love the page I have. Even though it's a page from Issue 1 before they enter the closet. CPWIII work is amazing. I even kept the board and packaging the art came in because of his little doodles.

I bought the first two Stuff Of Legend and thought it was just okay. I didn't continue with the series. I read the first Mouseguard series and thought it was absolutely fantastic, but too light on the dialogue. I don't buy the floppies but plan on picking up the trades when I get back to it.

I thought this exact same thing.

I thought this exact same thing.

Give Stuff of Legend another try.

While I loved #1, I too originally thought #2 was ok. The next arc "The Jungle" gets better.

It also is a good re-read too. Now it's one of my favorite comic series.

The SOL omnibus came out today. All I can say is wow. It's beautiful to look at and based on what you pay for a 5 issue marvel hc, this is a bargain.

Get yours today!