• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Pretty DCs for 6/18/04

25 posts in this topic

Why doesn't Hawkman do something?

He is bigger than all of them put together

He is doing something! He's teeing up one of those little suckers and is about to lay on a serious hurting with that mace! With CCA and all that, can't show crushed skulls and gray matter on the cover, you know.

I do like the Atom, and have quite a few issues in NM- to NM. I seem to be alone on that front though, as far as the U.K. market is concerned. An underrated title, IMO.

My impression is that with the possible exception of Batman, there is minimal following in the UK for any SA DC title. Seems to be all Marvel Zombies. True?

I agree with you that Atom is extremely underrated and, along with Aquaman, probably the most undervalued DC titles. Issues 1-10 are very hard to find in NM- and higher. A CGC 9.4 Showcase 34, the SA Atom's first appearance, went for a "mere" $9775 at the June Heritage auction. I say "mere" because it was the Western Penn copy and that price represented "only" a 4.9X multiple to Guide, while the Western Penn 9.4 Flash 123 went for an astounding 11.5X multiple at the same auction.

I do like the Atom, and have quite a few issues in NM- to NM. I seem to be alone on that front though, as far as the U.K. market is concerned. An underrated title, IMO.

My impression is that with the possible exception of Batman, there is minimal following in the UK for any SA DC title. Seems to be all Marvel Zombies. True?

Basically yes - Marvel rules in the U.K., and generally always has done - the U.K. market is monolithic compared to the U.S. one. I'd say my Marvel sales are about 5-6 times my DC ones, at least. At one point Showcase was sought after in the U.K., but that was before prices became stratospheric.

Silver Age DCs that have a following would be J.L.A. and Brave And the Bold.

Atom 7, CGC 9.4 with OW-W pages

516531-Atom%207.jpg

great book - i've always loved that cover. thumbsup2.gif i have a reader framed and hanging in my office. hope my OO copy comes back even close to yours 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

from the light traffic on my 3 GL's posted yesterday, i'd have to say that the Marvel Zombies rule. but, we'll test that today with 5 HG copies of a lesser marvel title - Strange Tales.

from the light traffic on my 3 GL's posted yesterday, i'd have to say that the Marvel Zombies rule. but, we'll test that today with 5 HG copies of a lesser marvel title - Strange Tales.

BB, don't let that dissuade you from posting more DCs when you get them back. There aren't as many of us DC collectors, but we are an appreciative lot! Plus, many of the folks on these boards are not as familiar with DCs as they are with Marvels, so I think it's great to expose them from time to time to some of the great covers featured on the Distinguished Competitor's books.

BB, don't let that dissuade you from posting more DCs when you get them back. There aren't as many of us DC collectors, but we are an appreciative lot! Plus, many of the folks on these boards are not as familiar with DCs as they are with Marvels, so I think it's great to expose them from time to time to some of the great covers featured on the Distinguished Competitor's books.

Absolutely, tth2. I appreciate the education I get on DC books when folks like BB post them. thumbsup2.gif

Absolutely, tth2. I appreciate the education I get on DC books when folks like BB post them. thumbsup2.gif

check out the Sea Devils thread!!! i posted 5 Russ Heath covers in pretty decent shape grin.gif

That Atom # 7 kicks $%#!!! The Atom series is fun to collect. I've loved that character since I was a kid back in the 60's. The early issues ,including the Showcase run, Gil Kane & Murphy Anderson art ,you can't beat that combo!!

I put that art team up there with Kirby & Sinnot!! Colan & Palmer,you get the idea!!! acclaim.gifthumbsup2.gif