• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrity Signed Books
22 22

4,117 posts in this topic

This is one of my favorite books too, many of the books that were shipped to retailers had scuffing on the back that took the black off the back cover. That's what was explained to me in reference to the low grades. Apparently is was poor production.

That's just what I heard.

Do you guys perfer the photo variants to be signed or more significant books. Example: a chris evans signed civil war #1 or a chris evans signed civil war prelude book that probably isn't very good. Asking cause I'm new to this and want to get into it but don't want to water money on getting something stupid signed. Like I saw a cool photo cover of thor I was gonna get hemsworth to signed buy I'm not a big fan of the actual comic itself. I find myself in this dilemma alot when I'm thinking about what to get signed. Thanks

Do you guys perfer the photo variants to be signed or more significant books. Example: a chris evans signed civil war #1 or a chris evans signed civil war prelude book that probably isn't very good. Asking cause I'm new to this and want to get into it but don't want to water money on getting something stupid signed. Like I saw a cool photo cover of thor I was gonna get hemsworth to signed buy I'm not a big fan of the actual comic itself. I find myself in this dilemma alot when I'm thinking about what to get signed. Thanks

I think there are great books on both sides of the discussion. It is hard to argue against a really nice high grade photo cover.

But there are times where I like to have the celeb sig on the first appearance of the character or other significant issue:

IMG_1874_zps84835a2a.jpg

IMG_2084_zps6rt3brl8.jpg

There is no right or wrong answer - more personal preference

It's 100% personal preference I think. Also cost is the signature. I'm willing to play around more and have fun with a guy who's sig is $40 versus $200. Example: I put Milo Ventimiglia on a Edge of Spider-Verse #1 (Spider-Man Noir cover). I might be one of the few people who knows or cares why I did it, but for a guy like Chris Evans, I personally am not willing to go with any cover.

For celebs I usually only go with a Photocover (Comic or mag) or a logo cover with a lot of blank space for a cast signed book. I don't like when sigs get lost in the background. I usually buy multiple copies of the same book, look up the celebs signature, and test different spots/colors. I have OCD when it comes to this stuff

I think there are great books on both sides of the discussion. It is hard to argue against a really nice high grade photo cover.

But there are times where I like to have the celeb sig on the first appearance of the character or other significant issue:

IMG_1874_zps84835a2a.jpg

IMG_2084_zps6rt3brl8.jpg

There is no right or wrong answer - more personal preference

You know, it's funny. I don't like the Aquaman book above. No offense, it's just not a book I would have had done or have interest in. The owner is happy and that is all that matters.

Oddly, I don't care much for the Star Wars book but really dig the Cap with Winter Soldier. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not my cup of tea and I'm sure I have some that others would feel the same way about.

As for selection of a book, I have some weird criteria and given the subject of discussion and those participating, that's saying something!

lol

I am looking for a great cover image, something representative of the character but that still has an area where signatures are likely to stand out. Photo covers are generally good but Marvel screwed that up with the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. photo covers on every title except one related to S.H.I.E.L.D. It made me nuts. I really dislike the god-awful Batman vs Superman covers with the ripped image appearance across the faces, making it tough to find a good book for the Gal Gadot signing. Frankly, I don't care about the interior of the book at all as it doesn't really matter. If the book is slabbed, I'll never see the interior again which is why I like a good representative image.

There was initially only the single photo cover for Chris Evans which I just thought was goofy looking. Thankfully, there have been more since. I couldn't tell you the first thing about the interior of any of them, that isn't why I bought them, I was only picking up the cover image. Just go with something that you think looks good and has a chance at a grade you're happy with.

On a loosely related note, I like to keep comic talent and Hollywood talent separate. It's fine to have celebrities and it's fine to have creators but I want them on their own books as they rarely have anything to do with one another. I do own exceptions to this rule but I bought them that way rather than having them done. Again, it's all personal taste.

For celebs I usually only go with a Photocover (Comic or mag) or a logo cover with a lot of blank space for a cast signed book. I don't like when sigs get lost in the background. I usually buy multiple copies of the same book, look up the celebs signature, and test different spots/colors. I have OCD when it comes to this stuff

That's some impressive OCD! lol

I like a nice space but have stopped short of getting sketch blank. They generally seem barren with only signatures. But there are those that prefer it, so if they're happy, it's all good.

You know, it's funny. I don't like the Aquaman book above. No offense, it's just not a book I would have had done or have interest in.

doh!

You like it, that's all that matters. I'm sure I have some in my collection that several here have scratched their heads at.

avengers-ultron-forever-1-au-movie-connecting-variant-b-118200.jpg

This is a pretty cool one, not sure if the story is good

This is a cool cover plus it's part of a group of covers by the same artist, each featuring a different movie version of an Avenger. It would work if there are more signings or if you're just after a single sig.

Well I kinda think so, what would be the point of getting that vs a print of that photo you know. I'm a very indecisive individual if you haven't noticed hahaha

Because one is eligible for the standard CGC SS program for comics where the book is graded and certified and having a picture certified with no grade. As well, I don't know of any licensed prints the size of that photo that have been released, making your own print would enter you in the "bootleg" arena.

If it helps I will be getting this magazine signed by Thor as well. It is nice and big, plenty of negative space, and has everyone's photo! Also it was free so you can get them super cheap on eBay and pick out a minty one!

IMG_20151205_085838975_zpst89oadlp.jpg

Edited by nriccijr