• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unwitnessed autographs CGC

58 posts in this topic

Not taking it as a slight at all my friend, no worries. Just saying that I will never be selling this puppy as it is my pride and joy, and will probably give it to my great grandson when he is born, (I'm 38) so I figure no one on the boards today will be alive if and when he decides to sell it.

I did think it was kind of odd that it wasn't mentioned on the label as well, but if the book is ever sold, there will be full disclosure about the sigs on the inside, but I'm kind of glad that the sigs aren't mentioned on the label, since basically every book that was signed before CGC came into existence seems to suffer "just a little" because the sig wasn't witnessed. And that's my one dissappointment with CGC. That's why I will never buy a SS box, or submit one for SS. Pure money grab in my opinion.

Well, let me throw my book into the ring.

I have an X-men #94 with 2 signatures on the first page: Chris Claremont and Bob Mcleod.

But as you can see, I got a blue label, with no notation that there were any signatures in the book..

I hope CGC just made a mistake in this case. If I'm buying a CGC'd X-Men 94, I want to know if something is written on or in it. I would be upset if I bought this book and later found it had undisclosed signatures/writing in it. Personally, if I see a CGC blue label book, unless noted on the label, I assume that there is nothing written in it.

I would like to clarify that the sigs are noted in the graders notes when people call to get them..for whatever that is worth.

I have an X-men #94 with 2 signatures on the first page: Chris Claremont and Bob Mcleod.

But as you can see, I got a blue label, with no notation that there were any signatures in the book..

I hope CGC just made a mistake in this case. If I'm buying a CGC'd X-Men 94, I want to know if something is written on or in it. I would be upset if I bought this book and later found it had undisclosed signatures/writing in it. Personally, if I see a CGC blue label book, unless noted on the label, I assume that there is nothing written in it.

I would like to clarify that the sigs are noted in the graders notes when people call to get them..for whatever that is worth.

$15-30. :baiting:

So I am thinking with out the writing you would of got a grade bump ? sort of like if some kid wrote under a add on the inside pages -RIP OFF- its just a part of the book ?

I think "name written in pen" is the sort of thing you would get if someone that wasn't a creator or otherwise associated - like the owner of the book - had their name in it and has nothing to do with any tacit unwritten sig verification policy

So I am thinking with out the writing you would of got a grade bump ? sort of like if some kid wrote under a add on the inside pages -RIP OFF- its just a part of the book ?

Don't think there was a grade bump, as it SHOULD behave like a Green Label. There are those on the boards that think an 8.5 was too high, but they never did hold the book in their hands, so their input is minimal at best..

$15-30. :baiting:

My full disclosure of sigs on the first page should negate the need for graders notes, unless they are checking for something else to see if it's worth a press and resub (book has never been pressed).

Here is a better example of a 9.6/9.8 Wolverine 180 signed by Andy Kubert how did they handle a Blue label signature?

vxoyn9.jpg

I think this would possibly get a Green Label as the "defect" is visible. Correct?

It's really up to the submitter on what type of holder he/she wants.

I had Bill Seinkeiwiz (Sorry about the spelling), sign the Splash page of a bunch of Moon Knight #1's in the 80's

I have one in a Blue Label CGC 9.8 and the notes on the Label say, " Name written on Splash Page".

I assume the didn't say it was Bill because they couldn't read his sig.

I was under the, probably erroneous, impression that CGC mentioned the sig on the label by name if it was tacitly thought it was genuine eg, 'Jack Kirby written on 1st page'.

If they didn't think it was 100% genuine or just hadn't a clue they wrote 'name written on 1st page' or something similar.

Both times the grade takes a hit but obviously it's better to have the sigs by name on the label?

Edit: none of the above replies were here while I wrote that honest!!!!

That is erroneous. Many times if there was no question as to what the written name was, they would put it on the label. But, whether they list the name has no bearing on authentication, tacit or otherwise. Only Yellow label sigs are authenticated, and those only when procured under the rules of the Signature Series program.

I do like it when they put "Jack Kirby" or "Alex Schomburg" or whatever on the label, but it is inconsistent at to when/if they do it.

Yep, inconsistent.

My TMNT 1 has Eastman and Laird mentioned on header.

My TMNT 3, with same inside sigs, no mention at all.

In January I received my ASM 1 back at a 2.5 with the note Stan Lee '79 written on the cover. I am guessing the practice still occurs.

I do agree that something should be done but only for documented autographed limited runs. For example, I have Superman : death of a friend set limited to 2000 sets. All with sigs and certificate. I would love to get it cgc'ed somehow.

I do agree that something should be done but only for documented autographed limited runs. For example, I have Superman : death of a friend set limited to 2000 sets. All with sigs and certificate. I would love to get it cgc'ed somehow.

You can get it CGC'd all you want. It just isn't getting a Yellow label.

Pure money grab in my opinion.

Nah, they will just be graded lower or greened, when they are actually 9.8's. Keeping it raw baby.

Nah, they will just be graded lower or greened, when they are actually 9.8's. Keeping it raw baby.

Just out of interest, how do CGC grade sealed, limited, signed DF comics? Would they grade them as Universal's and bump the grade down, or mark them as Qualified's?

Just out of interest, how do CGC grade sealed, limited, signed DF comics? Would they grade them as Universal's and bump the grade down, or mark them as Qualified's?

hm

TBF I totally understand CGCs stance here. If you buy a yellow label book it's important to remember that you're NOT buying a sig authentication service you're buying a comic that is part of CGCs signature series, it's actually kind of incidental that the comics are signed or sketched on or whatever. It's the SS identifier that's paramount. It's exactly the same as when Dynamic Forces were doing the same - you were buying their series of signed books, not a book that you got signed and had them package up.

Totally different animals.

This is where you are absolutely buying the label and not the book. No more, no less.

Qualified label by default.