• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unwitnessed autographs CGC

58 posts in this topic

Here is a better example of a 9.6/9.8 Wolverine 180 signed by Andy Kubert how did they handle a Blue label signature?

vxoyn9.jpg

I think this would possibly get a Green Label as the "defect" is visible. Correct?

I'm not sure what you mean by the defect being "visible"? It's an unverified signature on a cover which garners a Qualified label by default (but you can ask for a blue label with a serious grade deduction).

Here is a question I think will help the overall view on this matter. Will people pay the same $$ for cgc qualified slabs for books in the past done by DF as if you sold them raw?

I would rather have my Superman: Death of a Friend. Set of 9 signed by various artists/writers. ( jurgens and etc), in a cgc qualified with a note than to let it sit in the closet in their top loaders and bag. Also if I get them cgc'ed I would be able to enjoy them more by putting them out on display when rotating comic displays according to my likes.

I just do not want to dent their value just because its qualified. But if not, I want to send them in to cgc when I do my prescreen box next month.

Here is a question I think will help the overall view on this matter. Will people pay the same $$ for cgc qualified slabs for books in the past done by DF as if you sold them raw?

I would rather have my Superman: Death of a Friend. Set of 9 signed by various artists/writers. ( jurgens and etc), in a cgc qualified with a note than to let it sit in the closet in their top loaders and bag. Also if I get them cgc'ed I would be able to enjoy them more by putting them out on display when rotating comic displays according to my likes.

I just do not want to dent their value just because its qualified. But if not, I want to send them in to cgc when I do my prescreen box next month.

You could probably get more, but not enough to justify the extra slabbing/shipping costs. At least that is my guess.

Valiant Verified Signature Series do pretty well in Green label sales, because the market has accepted them as what they are. I question whether the DF books will get that kind of respect. I keep all my DF books raw, FWIW.

You could probably get more, but not enough to justify the extra slabbing/shipping costs. At least that is my guess.

Valiant Verified Signature Series do pretty well in Green label sales, because the market has accepted them as what they are. I question whether the DF books will get that kind of respect. I keep all my DF books raw, FWIW.

I live close to sarasota and am up there once a month for fleamarket huntings. Maybe I can get an appt for friday up at the CGC and make a day out of it. Anyways looks like I have something to think about. Thank you for the input.

I live close to sarasota and am up there once a month for fleamarket huntings. Maybe I can get an appt for friday up at the CGC and make a day out of it. Anyways looks like I have something to think about. Thank you for the input.

Ehm ... it's not like you can go to CGC HQ and watch them grade & slab your books - you know that, right?

Just like Sean said, from a resale perspective it wouldn't be worth it to slab these DF books.

Ehm ... it's not like you can go to CGC HQ and watch them grade & slab your books - you know that, right?

Just like Sean said, from a resale perspective it wouldn't be worth it to slab these DF books.

I got it the first time. And yea I know. I am not some clueless pollock new to the hobby. :sumo:

I don't usually pursue an autograph with profit in mind, although there's certainly nothing wrong with that. I'm also mainly concerned with ME knowing it's authentic. I know a lot of collectors who prefer an autograph on the first page, like me, and have actually seen SS series books with the sig placed there. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM6ag.jpg

FF8int.jpg

FF11int.jpg

Label reads: "1 name written on 2nd page & 2 names written on 3rd page in pen"

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles20.jpg

Some people say that they always count off for interior sigs, even if only slightly. I this book causes me to seriously doubt that. In-hand, it's a solid 9.8 but doesn't have the razor-sharp corners needed for a 9.9+.

Some people say that they always count off for interior sigs, even if only slightly. I this book causes me to seriously doubt that. In-hand, it's a solid 9.8 but doesn't have the razor-sharp corners needed for a 9.9+.

It's not "some people" who've said that - Gemma confirmed it herself in the Ask CGC section a while back :thumbsup:

If it has interior sigs, it doesn't have to be a 9.9 without the sigs to get a 9.8. All 9.8s can have two minute flaws. Interior sigs could be exactly the same as a color fleck in the corner etc.

I draw at the bottom of page 1 in all my comics and the CGC still gives me 9.8s.

The label note says " drawn on the bottom of page 1."

I draw at the bottom of page 1 in all my comics and the CGC still gives me 9.8s.

The label note says " drawn on the bottom of page 1."

Nuh-uh, because they send them to the guy who will fix your comics if they have drawn on them or junk. As soon as he gets the bigputer back, he fixes them.

There are businesses out there that check out autographs that were not witnessed. I'm surprised they haven't used some of them. CGC could make a fortune. All they would have to do is have on the label that it was authenticated by a third party. Just a matter of additional time to the grading process. They are reliable and careful not to say some signature is the real thing unless they are absolutly sure. Surprises me they haven't gone this route. Because it is a lot of lost potentual business they could have.

There are businesses out there that check out autographs that were not witnessed. I'm surprised they haven't used some of them. CGC could make a fortune. All they would have to do is have on the label that it was authenticated by a third party. Just a matter of additional time to the grading process. They are reliable and careful not to say some signature is the real thing unless they are absolutly sure. Surprises me they haven't gone this route. Because it is a lot of lost potentual business they could have.

I just pray that they don't do it. They have a very nice product with the Yellow label and the way the signatures are authenticated. Adding post-signature authentication is a Pandora's Box. Also, how many 3rd party verification services are going to be familiar with minor comic creators signatures?