• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Moly!

118 posts in this topic

the price on the #103 seems so high .I was thinking 6 or 7x guide for it. This is way over the top. Oh well plenty of other books out there to go after...

WTF? The price on #103 just dropped from $2,550 to $736.85. foreheadslap.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2251969538&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Legit bids or not, these auctions are turning into a circus.

A shot at what? Getting it cheaper? Not going to happen, since we know that Qualitycomix's bid is $2450, or something like that.

I'd be really pissed if I were Eides. This is an abuse of the Ebay bidding system, and it's affecting the integrity of these auctions.

This is why you shouldn't go ape S#!T with your bidding so early on.

And the drama contines! The price just went up to a little over $1500, with another 0 feedback bidder joining the party.

popcorn.gif

I've often asked these guys about grading their books, but they seem to brush off the idea. Point of view seems to be that there's no reason to grade them unless it's time to sell them which won't be for another few years. Slabbing more high grade copies would only inflate the census report and may keep the prices down. Might as well leave them sitting in the bank vault while the market pushes the prices up on their books.

Lou, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If, as you seem to believe (and which I agree with), there is a direct correlation between scarcity and price for HG SA DC, then everyone should be rushing to slab their books first and selling, to command the premium collectors will pay for the "only" CGC 9.4 book. By waiting to submit their books, they are taking the risk that theirs will be the second, or third, or fourth 9.4 or better of a certain title.

Example: the "only" CGC 9.4 Flash 123 just went for over 11X Guide at Heritage. Do you really think that a second 9.4 Flash 123 will command that kind of multiple or price? RR has listed the 9.4 PC Aquaman 1 forever at some astronomical price, which no one would pay. Since then, a 9.6 Aquaman 1 has appeared, and the value of the 9.4 Aquaman 1 has undoubtedly plunged in value (in terms of what anyone would pay for it, not that that would ever affect what RR would actually charge for it). Bottom line, if one of these dealers you know has a 9.4 or better Showcase 8, 13, 14, 22 or B&B 29 or 30, they'd be well advised to get it graded and sell it now, before one of these many other dealers you mentions decides to cash in first. The Marvel market is deep enough, and enough new blood is coming in all the time, to absorb multiple copies of any issue and continue to rise in price. The DC market currently is not that deep, and I don't foresee a large number of new collectors, or even speculators, moving in.

tth2;

I understand your point and I have also mentioned the same thing to them. They've simply stated that if they had taken this approach, they would have sold the books a few years ago and ended up leaving a lot of money on the table. They seem to feel that the HG market will continue to go up for a while longer. Talking to them, however, I get the feeling that in their hearts, they are simply long-term collectors who just found another reason to hold onto thier books a little bit longer. Eventually, they'll sell, but just not right now.

The younger generation of collectors seems to be more brought up on the concept of selling. As a result, I would venture to guess that over 80% of the known SA pedigrees have already been slabbed. On the other hand, I don't think even 10% of the known GA pedigrees have been slabbed up to this point in time. Completely different type of thinking between the older and younger generations.

With respect to SA DC's, I believe they are quite undervalued as compared to SA Marvels and have a lot more upside to go. Please note that I am talking about the absolute key DC's here. They appear to be where Marvels were serveral years ago and ready for a major breakout. Marvels, I believe, have already had serveral years of massive price increases and may be ready for a slower period of growth in relationship to key DC prices. The only thing holding back DC's is the relative scarcity of HG copies since it is hard to have an active market without having the actual books. This last factor has also had a strong negative impact on the GA books.

Bottom-line: Perceived scarcity has a strong positive influence on the values of books; real scarcity has a long-term negative impact on the relative value of a book.

The younger generation of collectors seems to be more brought up on the concept of selling. As a result, I would venture to guess that over 80% of the known SA pedigrees have already been slabbed. On the other hand, I don't think even 10% of the known GA pedigrees have been slabbed up to this point in time. Completely different type of thinking between the older and younger generations.

I agree, although your 80% estimate is high. I really wish CGC would release pedigree statistics via their Census to verify this, but somewhere between 1/3 and 2/3 of the known Silver Age pedigree copies out there remain unslabbed. Huge chunks of some known Silver pedigrees remain unslabbed simply because they were bought by a few people who are of the same general mindset you describe of Golden Age collectors. I welcome the perspective on how much of the pedigreed population has been slabbed from some of you guys (Tripps, tth, namisgr, rube11, linmoth) who have had a lot of pedigree copies come through your hands. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I asked Mark Haspel about a year ago if I could compile some statistics on pedigrees from their data, but they say they want to keep the percentage of slabbed pedigreed copies private. His reasoning is that since many of the pedigreed copies have well-known current owners, that releasing statistics on them would invade the privacy of their current owners. I didn't entirely follow him and couldn't come up with an example of the worst-case scenarios he must have had in mind, but I guess I understand in a nonspecific, generalized way. confused-smiley-013.gif

With an hour and a half left to go, has everyone warmed up their clicking finger, done their multiples of Guide calculations, and applied for that second mortgage in preparation for the heated bidding that is about to commence on these beauties? grin.gif

Looks like Jay Parrino has found a SA book that is rare enough for his liking. He's high bidder on the #91. popcorn.gif

This book is a good example of why I don't like to bid on these HTF books on eBay. Jay Parino and QC bid themselves up over 1,000 dollars just between the two of them. It's a nice book though, wonder what Jay was gonna do with it? Must've had a buyer.

Brian

This is great viewing. popcorn.gif QC somehow managed to throw in 3 bids in 10 seconds at the end ! Personally, I was not that impressed with this #91. It has wear on 3 of the four corners and a fold at the right hand edge. CGC seemed to agree as according to the Grader's notes it was a 9.2/9.4 borderline.

Personally, I was not that impressed with this #91. It has wear on 3 of the four corners and a fold at the right hand edge. CGC seemed to agree as according to the Grader's notes it was a 9.2/9.4 borderline.

Good eye. I have to respect a discriminating buyer who dosen't just throw himself at labels.

Overall I am pretty pleased. J.I.M.s have confirmed the prices in a public arena, that many of us have always known them attain in private. J.I.M. #112 is now firmly a $4k+ book in CGC 9.4, which I think is pretty impressive.

QC has got himself some unbelievable books, including a #103 that is a definite 9.6 resub candidate - just stunning ! I pushed him hard for this book but let's face it, when Brent wants a J.I.M. - he gets it. thumbsup2.gif

For myself, (apart from the #103) I picked up everything I was after including several books I have buyers ready for and one or two gems for my own J.I.M. run ! (incl. a solid #97 9.4 for 4 x guide). 893applaud-thumb.gif

r100, Great to see you snagged some really nice JIMs to add to your already impressive run!

I'm really happy with the prices that I paid overall, although I thought the 103 was a bit steep. It was balanced out by the 111 as I thought that was a reasonable price in grade.

Here were my estimates before the auctions ended on the books that I wanted:

JIM #91 CGC 9.4 $3,639 $4,000

JIM #95 CGC 9.0 $785 $900

JIM #103 CGC 9.4 $3,207 $3,000

JIM #106 CGC 9.4 $1,136 $1,750

JIM #111 CGC 9.6 $1,853 $2,000

JIM #112 CGC 9.4 $4,238 $4,500

1st column is actual and 2nd was the expected amount

It was fun bidding and now it's time to pay the piper, or in this case eides...