• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help buying a possibly restored ASM 1

29 posts in this topic

i'm not sure what irregular would be? its certainly not perfectly square or rectangular. looks almost like a natural fading of some sort. the weird thing being that there is no discoloration on the front cover.

based on a few people who i've had look at the book with me, no one can fully tell what the mystery "dark spot" is, but many have suggested that we may be looking at a 8.5/9.0 or higher once slabbed.

what would be the restored price on something in that range?

asm1inside1.jpg

When held up to a light you can see slight discoloration (nothing precise, more of an abnormal shape) in two areas. To the touch, it doesn't feel raised, smoother or rougher. It doesn't really show up in the scan.

What would reinforcement with rice-paper or other adhesives look like?

It's hard to be sure from the scan, but it looks like there are some tear seals and color touch along the leading edge. Hold it up to the light and shine the light through the paper. Does the light penetrate the paper evenly at all points? This is the best way to find tear seals that have been hidden if you don't know what else to look for.

Can you take photographs of the paper at a raking angle in a well lighted room?

Also, it is pretty obviously trimmed as well. It's a bad trim job.

Absolutely terrible back cover.

Not even been trimmed with a guillotine. And a number of areas where the text is present show signs of a lot of resto work having been done.

I remember once seeing a pic of a Susan Ciccone (iirc) reapired Showcase 4 (also iirc), this work here, although good, by comparison is amateur.

Hi

new here.

Have you considered having an 80x hand held microscope in your glove box ?

Would take about 10 seconds to determine if work had been done or washing had been done based on the format used to apply ink to paper as well as the types of ink pre 1970

These usually cost 12-20.00 for a sturdy model.

I have one in the car and the store due to the number of T-206 cards people run past me. With cards pre 1910 the process takes under 3 seconds to tell a fake from a valid card and about 4 minutes to check for restoration.

Changes are never made on that level. So they are easy to detect

good luck with future purchases.