• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need Help, Possibly Buying a Restored ASM #1

44 posts in this topic

So I recently walked into a small comic store, with a solid collection of silver and bronze age books. After buying a few (namely Silver Surfer 1-4, Hulk 102, and a few others), the owner asked if I wanted to see anything from his personal collection.

One of the items was a ASM #1 which is in VFN+, possibly NM- condition. However due to a few worries he had about restoration, he was selling it for the very low price of $9,500. He said that he has had it on the wall for ages, at that price, but no one has even asked to take a closer look at it.

Upon closer inspection, the cover is absolutely beautiful, no creases of any sort and the most minimal amount of chipping. The spine is in great condition and the staples are tight as can be. The cover shines great in the light, and there are no un-even spots.

The only concern is on the flip side of the cover, which when exposed to light shows two sections which are of a slightly darker color. This is not reflected on the front, where the same sections appear just fine. The collector suggested that this is why he keeps the price so low, as he's feared in the past that this could be the sign of restoration done, via the adding of rice paper or other adhesives to strengthen the back of the cover. He said that he'd never want to sell a book at Overstreet Price, and have someone come back with a CGC Restored Slab, which I can really respect.

The question is, do I go for the gamble? Are darker regions on the back side of the cover, definite signs of restoration? This book is definitely in the 8.0+ region, and if it comes back with a universal slab, I'm making out like a bandit.

Worst case scenario, if it comes back with a Restored CGC 8.0/8.5 or 9.0, how much can I realistically expect the book to be valued at. Will it even be close to the $9500, or does restoration cause the book to fall far below even this value?

Where do you live can you find a third party grader/ comic book restoration expert they will spot something right away. You could try a black light as that in many cases will show where color touch has been applied.

Generally if something is too good to be true then it is. Your taking a big risk for $9500 if it comes back with resto you will lose a big chunk. See if the guy will sell it on the condition that he will take it back if CGC puts a purple restored label.

For the same money why not find a 4.0/4.5 graded AF 15. Better investment anyway

If you buy the book using a credit card and the book comes back restored, I think you would have a very good case for a chargeback, regardless of the sellers return policy. While turn around times at CGc may not work for you, you could have this book in Matt Nelson or an expert of your choices hands in 24 hours via Fed-Ex. They examine it, ship it back Fed-Ex and you have the book in hand no more than 72 hours after it left.

Check my post in your other thread were you said you bought books off him that came back 9.6 and scored big.

Unless he was setting you up for a big sting I think it's sounds like it might be a good investment.

Just make sure it's all there (count pages-make sure all the pages are from ASM 1).

A purple label would hurt but incomplete would kill you.

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

Yeah, and there's 2 ridiculous threads about 'Noobs', and you've posted in both of 'em, so what say you give the guy a break? (thumbs u

You better learn a little respect there buddy,you will get alot father around here. (tsk)

So I recently walked into a small comic store, with a solid collection of silver and bronze age books. After buying a few (namely Silver Surfer 1-4, Hulk 102, and a few others), the owner asked if I wanted to see anything from his personal collection.

One of the items was a ASM #1 which is in VFN+, possibly NM- condition. However due to a few worries he had about restoration, he was selling it for the very low price of $9,500. He said that he has had it on the wall for ages, at that price, but no one has even asked to take a closer look at it.

Upon closer inspection, the cover is absolutely beautiful, no creases of any sort and the most minimal amount of chipping. The spine is in great condition and the staples are tight as can be. The cover shines great in the light, and there are no un-even spots.

The only concern is on the flip side of the cover, which when exposed to light shows two sections which are of a slightly darker color. This is not reflected on the front, where the same sections appear just fine. The collector suggested that this is why he keeps the price so low, as he's feared in the past that this could be the sign of restoration done, via the adding of rice paper or other adhesives to strengthen the back of the cover. He said that he'd never want to sell a book at Overstreet Price, and have someone come back with a CGC Restored Slab, which I can really respect.

The question is, do I go for the gamble? Are darker regions on the back side of the cover, definite signs of restoration? This book is definitely in the 8.0+ region, and if it comes back with a universal slab, I'm making out like a bandit.

Worst case scenario, if it comes back with a Restored CGC 8.0/8.5 or 9.0, how much can I realistically expect the book to be valued at. Will it even be close to the $9500, or does restoration cause the book to fall far below even this value?

Its your money, so its your call.

Personally dabbling with a PLOD for that kind of poppy is at best risky.

I would leave well enough alone. If you do go with it, I hope it goes well for you. :)

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

Yeah, and there's 2 ridiculous threads about 'Noobs', and you've posted in both of 'em, so what say you give the guy a break? (thumbs u

You better learn a little respect there buddy,you will get alot father around here. (tsk)

Respect is a two way street. I call it how I see it. (thumbs u

A slight professional restored CGC 8.0 sells for about $6000

A slight extensive restored CGC 8.0 sells for about $3000

Hope that helps.

Slight, extensive...is there a new grade I missed? :baiting:

I know you meant slight amateur :foryou:

Jim

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

Comicdonna wasn't addressing you with his comment,so why did you have to chime in?

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

Comicdonna wasn't addressing you with his comment,so why did you have to chime in?

Easy big fella. Maybe he is friends with the OP as you are with comicdonna.

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

Probably for the same reason you chimed in, when I wasn't addressing you (tsk)

But since you ask. The guy who started the thread was asking a genuine question, ok he may have started 2 threads. Slamming him seems a little harsh when you are posting in 2 nutbar threads about 'Noobs'. The guy obviously doesn't like 'noobs', but he should keep his negativity to himself.

Clear enough :eek:

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

But since you ask. The guy who started the thread was asking a genuine question, ok he may have started 2 threads. Slamming him seems a little harsh when you are posting in 2 nutbar threads about 'Noobs'. The guy obviously doesn't like 'noobs', but he should keep his negativity to himself.

:eyeroll:

mandy.jpg

1 thread wasn't enough?

1 thread wasn't enough?

hm

If you buy the book using a credit card and the book comes back restored, I think you would have a very good case for a chargeback, regardless of the sellers return policy. While turn around times at CGc may not work for you, you could have this book in Matt Nelson or an expert of your choices hands in 24 hours via Fed-Ex. They examine it, ship it back Fed-Ex and you have the book in hand no more than 72 hours after it left.

I dont think he has a call on charge back. Seller is warning him it might be restored.

He isnt beeing lied to.