• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC Grading Laxer?

44 posts in this topic

I've been out of the hobby for a few years with the odd purchase here and there but since coming back i keep seeing slabbed books that in my humble opinion are over graded, at least compared to the CGC books i was buying from 01-07.

Is this something that has been discussed? Is it just me that's out of the loop? But really i have seen tons of books that if i was grading i would drop an entire grade from the CGC assigned grade. That said i have always been hard on spine damage, but still. Perhaps people who have been here day in, day out would not have noticed a gradual change?

You're probably going to ask for examples but many of these books are owned by board members and i don't want to upset or step on toes here. One example i did see recently on eBay though is this Cerebus below. I really hope it's not now owned by a board member and if it is i apologise, i'm just using it as an example :sorry:

VF-? If i was selling this raw i would struggle to give it a FN.

There are many more as i said, especially in my collecting area of 8.5-9.4 that i felt were over graded.

MX-3100N_20111028_095256_001.jpg

MX-3100N_20111028_095358_001.jpg

Is CGC Grading Laxer?

ExLaxer might be the more appropriate term.

I had difficulty understanding you at the best of times, after 5 minutes trying to comprehend your line i give up. You're too smart for me :foryou::hi:

Matt: :foryou:

I agree, I'd be hard pressed to call that book a fine myself. Now I don't know anything about that book so I don't know how they grade that book. It really is the same as usual though, some books tend to appear undergraded and some appear overgraded hence we try and buy the book not the label. Something we all should have been doing since 2001 :wishluck:

Jim

I've been out of the hobby for a few years with the odd purchase here and there but since coming back i keep seeing slabbed books that in my humble opinion are over graded, at least compared to the CGC books i was buying from 01-07.

Is this something that has been discussed? Is it just me that's out of the loop? But really i have seen tons of books that if i was grading i would drop an entire grade from the CGC assigned grade. That said i have always been hard on spine damage, but still. Perhaps people who have been here day in, day out would not have noticed a gradual change?

You're probably going to ask for examples but many of these books are owned by board members and i don't want to upset or step on toes here. One example i did see recently on eBay though is this Cerebus below. I really hope it's not now owned by a board member and if it is i apologise, i'm just using it as an example :sorry:

There are many more as i said, especially in my collecting area of 8.5-9.4 that i felt were over graded.

CGC has always been a bit soft on odd- & over-sized books that were printed on crappy paper - Cerebus #1, Primer #2 and Primer #5 all spring to mind.

With that said, calling this book a 6.0 seems a bit crazy as well.

Don't forget that sometimes scanners will emphasize spine tics in a way that is not representative of the book. Not saying that happened in this case, but it does happen from time to time.

Is CGC Grading Laxer?

I had difficulty understanding you at the best of times, after 5 minutes trying to comprehend your line i give up. You're too smart for me :foryou::hi:

exlax.jpg

Is CGC Grading Laxer?

exlax.jpg

They never sold those here. Good thing too, they look tasty :eek:

Due to volume of books, as well as multiple and changing graders, it does appear that CGCs grading is less consistent than with some smaller dealers who grade everything personally. There are regular sellers on these boards who would probably give that book raw a 7.5 nine times out of ten, and others like yourself who would call it a 6.0 almost every time. I suspect most would fall somewhere in between, but almost all would be pretty consistent. Even then a given flaw just feels either worse or less of a problem to a given grader than we might expect.

It seems like there has been a constant cycle of CGC is tightening or loosening their grading standard threads since I joined the boards. There may well be an ebb and flow to the strictness of GCG grading, who knows, perhaps effected by the seasons, but my guess is most of this comes to comparing a random book to what one believes is the norm for CGC, and some books are just going to fall outside that perception, one way or another. It's the difficulty of second guessing third party grades, especially through plastic, let alone from just a scan.

My estimation, given the flaws that are evident in the pictures, is the book looks like a 6.5, maybe a 7.0.

6.0-7.5 is a somewhat amorphous grade range where the only real agreement is that they are generally decent looking copies with too many obvious flaws to be VF or better. Unless your talking to modern collectors who tend to think everything short of VF is a VG at best.

Don't forget that sometimes scanners will emphasize spine tics in a way that is not representative of the book. Not saying that happened in this case, but it does happen from time to time.

This is a very good point but I do feel that the grading is looser.

FYI, the Cerebus example was graded in Sept 2011. I think the grading for the bulk of 2011 was terribly loose. However, they have tightened up in 2012. In general, I feel tighter grading is best for the hobby.

It's British English, so it's automatically acceptable worldwide, wanker.

I looked up wanker...

' Wanker literally means "one who wanks (masturbates)". In modern usage it is usually a general insult. It conveys contempt, not commentary on sexual habits. Wanker has similar meanings and overtones to American pejoratives like jerk(-off).'

I used to think the British were polite but calling me a jerk-off ?

I looked up wanker...

' Wanker literally means "one who wanks (masturbates)". In modern usage it is usually a general insult. It conveys contempt, not commentary on sexual habits. Wanker has similar meanings and overtones to American pejoratives like jerk(-off).'

I looked up bomber...

"Bomber literally means 'a person who plants, detonates, or throws bombs in a public place, esp. as a terrorist.' In modern usage it is usually preceded by the adjective, mad. It conveys the idea that someone is mentally ill; insane, and not commentary on someone who may experience excessive gas and flatulates while walking in order to spread the smell as far as possible."

I looked up wanker...

I looked up bomber...

"Bomber literally means 'a person who plants, detonates, or throws bombs in a public place, esp. as a terrorist.' In modern usage it is usually a preceded by the adjective, mad. It conveys the idea that someone is mentally ill; insane, and not commentary on someone who may experience excessive gas and flatulates while walking in order to spread the smell as far as possible."

Why do I feel like George Castanza looking for the perfect reply ?

Jerk store anyone ?

I think even in hand this books would not be better then a 5.5-6 anyone got the "balls" to ask for the notes lol