• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is CGC Grading Laxer?

44 posts in this topic

Its hard to see how glossy a book is from a scan, a clean glossy book will get a grade bump by itself. So if spine tick wise this is a 7.0, clean gloss to the cover will move it to a 7.5.

Is gloss structure or QP? CGC grades structure. :sumo:

I believe that they take into consideration the entire appeal of the book...smell, feel, bounce, gloss.

I think what most people call a "pedigree bump" is usually just intangible qualities that can't be seen or felt through a slab that might give the book an edge if it's a "tweener" book where the grade is borderline between two grades.

You can't tell gloss in a 2 dimensional scan, you need a 3 dimensional angle to notice gloss, so that is another factor.

Books all smell, look and feel different and a book that smells and feels like a brand new book with a wonderful bounce/suppleness to it, or has blinding gloss even though it is structurally the same as another comparable book that doesn't feel as good might actually grade higher simply because of those invisible but positive characteristics.

If you've ever felt a Church book and compared it to a San Fran you'd know what I'm talking about. Both are structurally awesome books that are well preserved but the San Fran books have a certain stiffness to them for some reason that the Church books (that I have felt) do not.

The two books, even if they are the same issues from the same time period may feel and handle distinctly differently.

(thumbs u

Its hard to see how glossy a book is from a scan, a clean glossy book will get a grade bump by itself. So if spine tick wise this is a 7.0, clean gloss to the cover will move it to a 7.5.

Is gloss structure or QP? CGC grades structure. :sumo:

If structure 9.0 book sits on a comic store wall for two years and fades out. Would you still grade it a 9.0 since it has no other flaws other than color fading. I would knock it down to about a 4.0, even though it has no new spine ticks to the book or other structure wear. That ultra fresh original color and gloss is part of how the book should be graded, and its difficult to see that through a slab or image online.