• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do you value/devalue UK Pence Copies

53 posts in this topic

I actually love the aesthetic of the pence on some comics, for example I like my UK X-Men 101 much more than my US copy.

I prefer the look of the American, cent copy MCG banner.  Always have.

I value them the same as U.S. copies. I'm no xenophobe. :gossip:

I actually love the aesthetic of the pence on some comics, for example I like my UK X-Men 101 much more than my US copy.

Your pence version 101 does look beautiful.

In fact it looks even better in hand. Specifically MY hand.

That's MY copy, currently sitting on a shelf in my spare bedroom.

lol

:popcorn:

As it should as that picture is straight out of your photobucket account:

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy180/Stryfe1000/CGC%20Slabs/UXM_101a.jpg

I've gotten my hands on a couple of Marvel key issues, slabbed and graded, but I'm having a hard time finding out their value as they are pence copies.

Does anyone know where I can find a reliable source/site to check the value of UK/Pence copies?

Or on a personal note, how much do you value/undervalue Pence copies. I know that Mile High, considers them to be worth far more than US copies and considers them price variants. Thoughts?

Sooooo...

Just who are you?

haha oops, didn't mean to mislead like that. i just did a quick google search for a nice looking 101 pence copy, since i was too lazy to scan mine.

great copy you have there man.

This thread is starting to make me interested in collecting a run of something specifically in pence copies.

It would probably be cheaper than cent copies, but definately more challenging. That's a good combination.

I will buy either and I dont value one above the other.

The completist in me wants both.

DD1.jpg

\

If they were printed at the same time on the same machines, why did they feel the need to remove the month from the cover?

I always found Pence copies slightly suspect. I would never buy one, because before the price was low enough to be appealing to me someone in the UK would have already bought it.

I have a bunch of Pence copy Savage Swords that I got in a bigger collection, and they are a mess. Different covers, different stories, and different issue dates. Nothing at all like the US counterparts.

DD1.jpg

\

If they were printed at the same time on the same machines, why did they feel the need to remove the month from the cover?

I always found Pence copies slightly suspect. I would never buy one, because before the price was low enough to be appealing to me someone in the UK would have already bought it.

I have a bunch of Pence copy Savage Swords that I got in a bigger collection, and they are a mess. Different covers, different stories, and different issue dates. Nothing at all like the US counterparts.

I think you're mistaking UK pence copies and UK reprints. Two different things.

DD1.jpg

\

I think you're mistaking UK pence copies and UK reprints. Two different things.

In the case of the Savage Swords you are exactly correct! I was hoping someone would point that out. Now, how do you define a UK reprint or a normal Pence copy? In the case of the Savage Swords it is obvious, but what about the missing month on the older UK Marvels? How sure can you be that they were actually printed the same month and not just printed again later? Seems to me they would have the same stigma as 2nd prints.

And what about the ads? All identical to the US versions? Are you sure?

"The only difference is that at some point in the print run, the cent cover price is changed to Pence for the copies intended to be shipped to the UK. The cover month was also removed as it would make the items appear out of date when they arrived in UK shops. This was because the ships (at a time when shipping meant shipping) would take around a month to cross the ocean."

This seems a little suspect as well. Cover months were always two or more months ahead (example July dates comics hit the stores in May), so why would it be a problem if July dated comics hit the UK stores in June?

I might be playing devil's advocate a bit here, but it all seems a little fishy to a cents collector who grew up dealing with all the "Diamond" cover (Whitman) reprint mess in the 1970's-80's that most people ignore now. I still hate those big diamond books!

:ohnoez:

The  original 'Curtis' American copies of Savage Sword and other Marvel b/w magazines were distributed over here, with a pence sticker on the cover. 

"The only difference is that at some point in the print run, the cent cover price is changed to Pence for the copies intended to be shipped to the UK. The cover month was also removed as it would make the items appear out of date when they arrived in UK shops. This was because the ships (at a time when shipping meant shipping) would take around a month to cross the ocean."

This seems a little suspect as well. Cover months were always two or more months ahead (example July dates comics hit the stores in May), so why would it be a problem if July dated comics hit the UK stores in June?

They were 3 months ahead.

Standard operating procedure was for US newsstands to remove them after 3 months. I'd figure that the UK probably had different procedures.

How is any of this suspect? lol