• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much do you value/devalue UK Pence Copies

53 posts in this topic

"The only difference is that at some point in the print run, the cent cover price is changed to Pence for the copies intended to be shipped to the UK. The cover month was also removed as it would make the items appear out of date when they arrived in UK shops. This was because the ships (at a time when shipping meant shipping) would take around a month to cross the ocean."

This seems a little suspect as well. Cover months were always two or more months ahead (example July dates comics hit the stores in May), so why would it be a problem if July dated comics hit the UK stores in June?

I might be playing devil's advocate a bit here, but it all seems a little fishy to a cents collector who grew up dealing with all the "Diamond" cover (Whitman) reprint mess in the 1970's-80's that most people ignore now. I still hate those big diamond books!

:ohnoez:

It actually took a lot longer to get the books from the US to the UK newsstand than one month...I'd say two months would be closer.

And every thing about the books are identical...same contents, same ads.

To hear a few people tell it, the pence copies were the first copies off the printing presses.

To me, a Pence copy as about as much appeal as a Tan Page copy. I have no use for them.
:lol: I :luhv: them - send me your solicitations :banana:

As long as you aren't bleeding, it will be okay. (thumbs u
Externally or internally? :shrug:

"The only difference is that at some point in the print run, the cent cover price is changed to Pence for the copies intended to be shipped to the UK. The cover month was also removed as it would make the items appear out of date when they arrived in UK shops. This was because the ships (at a time when shipping meant shipping) would take around a month to cross the ocean."

This seems a little suspect as well. Cover months were always two or more months ahead (example July dates comics hit the stores in May), so why would it be a problem if July dated comics hit the UK stores in June?

I might be playing devil's advocate a bit here, but it all seems a little fishy to a cents collector who grew up dealing with all the "Diamond" cover (Whitman) reprint mess in the 1970's-80's that most people ignore now. I still hate those big diamond books!

:ohnoez:

It actually took a lot longer to get the books from the US to the UK newsstand than one month...I'd say two months would be closer.

And every thing about the books are identical...same contents, same ads.

To hear a few people tell it, the pence copies were the first copies off the printing presses.

There may be a argument that the pence issues were first of presses

At the top the printer changes the star price area for us price varients then if I dream this up right flopped in the 9p to replace the 35cent and changed the marvel comic group to all colour comics

now if you were incharge of making money at marvel printing in what order would you print short runs with the thought that a printing press may mess up the first frew hundred books each morning and who cares if the brits get less books

Print your smallest run the pence -- flip in the new top for price varients - - toss in a black area for whitman second prints -- then when the presses are howling with ZERO waist print the usa regular editions

Just a thought that uk pence are 1 st or 2 nd prints usa regular aditions 2/3/4 th prints ?

:)

I think the use of "print"or "printing" to distinguish different market versions is the incorrect terminology. We might use words like "state," but variant would be best to differentiate copies bearing a cover price other than the US edition. And trying to establish the sequential order of which market version came first is only as important as correcting the falsehood that copies not bearing a US price are "reprints."

It's still early times for mainstream comics and low print run titles of the last 20-30 years in the independent scene have really started to gain some steam and are capturing collectors attention and interest.

Unlike first print undergrounds, which command their weight in gold primarily because of their place in the order of establishing things like the history of the creator chain, titles, story, artwork changes/tweaks, character introductions and their overall rarity (i.e. some staying in print for over 30 years), I think the allure of Silver-Age UK pence variants will be driven by the factors of value disparity (i.e. US priced editions of AF 15 becoming more an more difficult to afford) and scarcity.

We don't quite have the historical factors playing as big a part, but on the point about scarcity, the "exotic" and low census factors will only work to reinforce the appeal of pence copies.

We don't quite have the historical factors playing as big a part, but on the point about scarcity, the "exotic" and low census factors will only work to reinforce the appeal of pence copies

Couldnt have said it better myself..... I love the damn things... (thumbs u

I would like to find an AF 15 Pence copy above 5.0,they are just not around. (shrug)

Very difficult to find - only a few on the census. In fact its getting harder to find in any condition nowadays.

Some guy posted the highest 9d copy on here last year, it was a 7 or 7.5 and signed by Stan the Man in 1974. Those 'search' geniuses might find the link.

If anyone has pence copies for sale, I'm interested. I love 'em.

*works out postage for multiple short boxes to America* :eek: