• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best bump one has got from pressing??

21 posts in this topic

I have had two 4 grade bumps. An 8.0 to 9.4 and a 9.0 go to 9.8.

The biggest "bump" is not verifiable because the book was not professionally graded and encapsulated to begin with. But it was a pair of raw Detectives - 475 and 476. Just lots of bends and uneven surface from improper storage. But no color breaks and nice corners/spine. I would have graded them in the FN range. One got 9.8, the other 9.6

Didn't a book go from like a 4.0 to a 9.2 or something close to that?

I know I read an old thread someone linked once about an insane bump in that range hm

Yes it was a goldenage book.

Boy Comics #17 was graded at a 4.0, then 7.5, then finally as a 9.0.

It was an Edgar Church copy.

From Reynold Jay's site (commenting about the prep service he offers):

Back Issue Comix has been providing this service for a few select customers and the results have been very satisfying for everyone. In some instances comics arriving in 6.0 ended up as 9.6 and most often 9.2 /9./4 arrivals obtain 9.6 and 9.8 grades after prep.

About halfway down....

For those that don't know, RJ has been offering his "prep" service (dry clean and press) as long as I've been collecting CGC books. He was one of the first to know the game.

Not my book, but here is a classic thread about the infamous Church copy of Boy Comics #17, that started out as a 4.0, had two centerwraps reattached and possible pressing to get to a 7.5, and then was likely pressed again for a 9.0.

The thread also mentions a Funny pages V2 #11 that went from 5.5 to 9.0.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1035475&fpart=1