• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's A Better Investment?

71 posts in this topic

Both only have value because there are people crazy enough to think they have value.

Absolutely true.

That is true about everything, though.

People put a monetary value on everything and the more people that agree, the more monetarily valuable something becomes.

No, not everything. Food has value because we can eat it and stay alive. Oil have value because we need to make stuff with it and fuel stuff with it.

Both only have value because there are people crazy enough to think they have value.

Not too many people have to die and the earth doesn't have to be despoiled while mining copies of AF15 so stick with that.

hm What about the trees it takes to make comics?

Well, it's actually healthy for the environment to cut some trees down.

Yes, I think I might have read that somewhere. ;)

Precious metals or copies of Amazing Fantasy #15? (shrug)

Both have advantages and disadvantages. Nevertheless to answer the question with facts is impossible without a crystal ball. Everything else you have heard thus far is mere opinions as to what is a better or worse investment.

Absolutely true.

People put a monetary value on everything and the more people that agree, the more monetarily valuable something becomes.

No, not everything. Food has value because we can eat it and stay alive. Oil have value because we need to make stuff with it and fuel stuff with it.

Everything has a monetary value based on demand.

If someone finds out apples are poisonous, apples become worthless.

If an alternative energy source overtakes oil, oil becomes worthless.

Because they are both in demand they current have strong monetary values.

You're talking about something different. ;)

As many have alluded to already it depends on how risk averse you are. I would believe that gold has the least risk to it. AF15 has more upside, but more downside. Plus the commissions on selling gold are much lower than the commissions on selling AF15's. Honestly I would never "invest" in an AF15. I put all my investments in SPDR's. Very low risk, very low commissions.

Absolutely true.

lol No, you're talking about something else.

I responded to the comment that "people are crazy enough to think they have value"; you said "that's true of everything"; I said no because it isn't crazy to value food or value oil. Then you gave me the same supply and demand lesson you've given me a dozen times in the past.

gold is overbought right now. there's plenty of it still in the ground if the price is right to make them dig up the less-rich deposits.

they ain't makin' no more ASM #15s, but people will still be loving Spidey long after we're all dead.

As many have alluded to already it depends on how risk averse you are. I would believe that gold has the least risk to it. AF15 has more upside, but more downside. Plus the commissions on selling gold are much lower than the commissions on selling AF15's. Honestly I would never "invest" in an AF15. I put all my investments in SPDR's. Very low risk, very low commissions.

i've never seen AF 15 go down. gold goes up and down and was recently at a high. i say go with the constant winner.

i've never seen AF 15 go down. gold goes up and down and was recently at a high. i say go with the constant winner.

The most noted sale of an AF15 was that 9.6 that sold for 1 million dollars. Since that sale two more 9.6 copies have been "dug out of the ground" hm . Do you think that if that a 9.6 AF15 would break 1 mil today? Want to give it a shot as to what that great investment is worth? Hear it a hint, - $x00,000

gold is overbought right now. there's plenty of it still in the ground if the price is right to make them dig up the less-rich deposits.

they ain't makin' no more ASM #15s, but people will still be loving Spidey long after we're all dead.

:gossip: I would keep this under wrap. If word gets out about AF15, they will be worth a million dollars a wrap. People will be throwing gold nuggets at people with AF15's, so they can steal them.

Absolutely true.

I responded to the comment that "people are crazy enough to think they have value"; you said "that's true of everything"; I said no because it isn't crazy to value food or value oil. Then you gave me the same supply and demand lesson you've given me a dozen times in the past.

We're talking about investment value, meaning monetary while you're talking about intrinsic value.

I know you can argue food is a great investment but I think we both know that it's not what the OP was talking about.

AF #15 went down in value a few years ago after a price explosion happened about 5 years ago. Prices plateaued and then pulled back for about 2 years and have only recently started creeping back to their current values at the height of the explosion.

Absolutely true.

We're talking about investment value, meaning monetary while you're talking about intrinsic value.

I know you can argue food is a great investment but I think we both know that it's not what the OP was talking about.

Dude, I was responding to someone who was talking about intrinsic value, not answering the OP's question about investment. You then responded to me about investment.

Don't fight me on reading comprehension. :slapfight:

Precious metals are something you buy when you're pessimistic and worried about the value of your paper currency. If things get that bad then AF 15s will be used to light the fire in your fireplace on cold nights when you don't have any oil and/or electricity.

AF 15s are something you buy when you are optimistic about the future and believe that people will continue to have money to spend on collectibles.

^^

The price of gold is never subjective. There are subjective factors, on a macro level, that may cause the price of gold to move in one direction or another, but when selling or buying you know what the spot price is.

The price of a comic book is completely subjective and the market can be moved by a very small number of transactions.

Absolutely true.

Dude, I was responding to someone who was talking about intrinsic value, not answering the OP's question about investment. You then responded to me about investment.

:popcorn:

Absolutely true.

You were responding to someone who said this:

Not too many people have to die and the earth doesn't have to be despoiled while mining copies of AF15 so stick with that.

Clearly neither an AF #15 nor gold have much intrinsic value as neither is very useful (yes, I know what gold is used for). The value placed on both is generally based on cultural demand.

You affirmed, and I agreed that things with no intrinsic value only have monetary value based on demand (or perceived demand).

You then turned the conversation to food and oil which both have an intrinsic value.

So, I realize no you weren't answering the OP's question based on investment but you did shift the central topic of the conversation by bringing in intrinsic goods while the entire time we were talking about $ value and investment based on perceived $ value.

So I still affirm that everything has a $ value based on perceived value.

At least that is the way I understand it.