• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marc Silvestri to return to the X-Men

46 posts in this topic

I met Sal last November in NYC. A really nice and generous man... he mentioned that he can't get any work from Marvel these days as his style isn't really what they want anymore.

Although I do like the early Spectaculars, I found his run on Hulk to be the best of his career. Rom wasn't too bad either. I agree that the later Spectaculars were nothing... um.... spectacular.

Kev

Okay, okay.....maybe I'm being hard on him. Let me say this, I liked his early run on Spectacular very much. I also enjoyed when he was "guest artist" on ASM. Even his first issues on his 2nd stint were nice.

I've met him too, and thought he was a nice, pleasant fellow. I don't dislike Sal, just some of his later artwork. It looked very angular and rough. I think his "style" was affected by the McFarlane ASM run. At that time, McFarlane's Spidey was THE Spidey. All the arachnid-like poses and what-not. Sal, I think, may have changed his style to be more "dynamic" like McFarlane's.

Sal's 2nd stint on Spect. started w/ #134. I think the first couple issues he penciled were very nice. But, shortly after Sal began, McFarlane came over to ASM from Hulk. Sal's art started to change after issue #144 which, coincidently, was the same month that ASM #300 came out. A couple issues later, McFarlane is at the height of his popularity, while poor Sal is trying to imitate (I hate using that word, but for lack of a better one... I'll edit later) him and failing miserably.

Believe me, I was a Sal defender when McFarlane first started. I remember having arguements in the cafeteria in middle school about this. But, once Sal's style changed, it was downhill for him. frown.gif

Chris

I agree... editorial may have asked him to "adjust" to the popular Toddster style.

Wasn't he inked by some some really heavy handed inkers during that second run? I seem to remember Bill Sienkiewicz inking some of his pencils during that error. In fact a SB/BS Spectacular cover recently sold on e-bay. The inkers were probably told to "jazz" Sal's art up a bit.

Kev

Close Kev -

BS didn't ink Sal's work, but he (BS) and another artist (can't recall) did the cover to Spectac. #133, the issue right before Sal's second run began. I think the interior art of the book was done by a girl (can't recall her name just now either).

I'll look into this later and post results tomorrow.

Chris

McFarlane drew and continues to draw great looking pictures. As far as his story-telling skills thru his art, I felt he was lacking.

One thing I hope we can all agree on: As a comics writer, Todd blows! Big-time!